Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to still just do nothing for the next 5 years - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I couldn't give a ****.

If there are people here naive enough to think that political party's don't engage in face to face confrontation or persuasion then their opinions on anything political is suspect to be honest.

She make a grandstand against brian stanley in the PAC last week. After she done worse herself. Staggering hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bowie wrote: »
    Hes like a petulant child. They really dropped the ball handing him the leadership above what FG membership wanted.
    smurgen wrote: »
    The man who leaked commercially sensitive documents to a mate while he was Taoiseach? Like getting abstinence advice from Shane McGowan :D
    He's surely past his political sell by date now. Seen another Twitter rant this evening about SF. It was like something you'd see from Trump again. His views and way of speaking are so negative. A real drag on Irish politics.
    He's some ****ing neck. I'll give him that.

Leo is really getting to some people around here.

Must be doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

blanch152 wrote: »

Any comments on the content or are you just happy to troll?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

She make a grandstand against brian stanley in the PAC last week. After she done worse herself. Staggering hypocrisy.

Arranging a meeting with someone, outside in a public place due to coronavirus retribution’s, is very different than knocking on someone’s door.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

tobsey wrote: »
    Arranging a meeting with someone, outside in a public place due to coronavirus retribution’s, is very different than knocking on someone’s door.

" party members confronting somebody over social media posts. Same thing in my book.

Bit of a pattern developing, same carry on with YFG...confronting in groups. Very intimidating..no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Flanagan and Leo would have given the British medals ffs.
    https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1337377299243687936

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Just reading up a bit more about Jennifer Carroll MacNeill, seems the young FG fellas offence was that he posted "Ding Dong the witch is dead" after Kate O'Connell lost her seat.

MacNeill asked to meet him, but wouldn't disclose what the meeting was about.

When they met, she "confronted him" with a screen shot of the Snapchat and was asked to step back from the council seat election (interfering in the democratic process)

Apparently MacNeill also suggested she would have to consider sharing the Snapchat post with members of the Blackrock ward of Fine Gael if he remained a candidate.(isn't that considered blackmail though?)

They're perfectly entitled to do so, but it's hypocrisy in the extreme to whinge about others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

McMurphy wrote: »
    Just reading up a bit more about Jennifer Carroll MacNeill, seems the young FG fellas offence was that he posted "Ding Dong the witch is dead" after Kate O'Connell lost her seat.

When they met, she "confronted him" with a screen shot of the Snapchat and was asked to step back from the council seat election (interfering in the democratic process)

Apparently MacNeill also suggested she would have to consider sharing the Snapchat post with members of the Blackrock ward of Fine Gael if he remained a candidate.(isn't that considered blackmail though?)

They're perfectly entitled to do so, but it's hypocrisy in the extreme to whinge about others.

They are perfectly entitled to do what exactly? You mentioned interfering in a democratic process and questioned if something was blackmail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

" party members confronting somebody over social media posts. Same thing in my book.

Bit of a pattern developing, same carry on with YFG...confronting in groups. Very intimidating..no?

Well it’s not the same thing in most people’s books. Most workplaces would have social media guidelines and breaking them is a disciplinary issue. It’s not surprising political parties have the same thing. However in normal circumstances a meeting would be arranged to resolve the issue, rather than calling to someone’s private residence uninvited.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    Flanagan and Leo would have given the British medals ffs.
    https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1337377299243687936

It is often forgotten that when Fine Gael was founded in 1933 among the parties that (all right of centre) merged - Cumann na nGaedheal , National Centre Party,Army Comrades Association- the remnants of the Southern Unionist parties also joined.

Southern Unionist didn't all up sticks, many remained - and they were mostly large farmers/industrialists - they accepted the new political reality and were determined to retain as much influence as possible. The best avenue for that was the newly formed FG.
    Their remains a strong undercurrent within FG that leaving the Union was a mistake.
    I have heard many historians of the period describe the formative years of the Irish Free State as a mere rebranding exercise where harps replaced crowns, the RCC got their feet under the table, and the political ideologies remained unchanged.

• Advertisement

christy c wrote: »
    They are perfectly entitled to do what exactly? You mentioned interfering in a democratic process and questioned if something was blackmail.

Perfectly entitled to "express their disappointment" in what a fellow party member posts regarding their own party on Social media.

(Btw, on the interference bit, I'm repeating what is written in the online article btw, the blackmail part, I'm questioning not alleging)

This isn't going to be another afternoon where I have to breakdown the already simplified text in my post for you Christy is it?

Have you any thoughts on MacNeills actions yourself, or will I need a torch and safety line for the rabbit hole do you think hehe?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DaveCliftonAP

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    It is often forgotten that when Fine Gael was founded in 1933 among the parties that (all right of centre) merged - Cumann na nGaedheal , National Centre Party,Army Comrades Association- the remnants of the Southern Unionist parties also joined.

Southern Unionist didn't all up sticks, many remained - and they were mostly large farmers/industrialists - they accepted the new political reality and were determined to retain as much influence as possible. The best avenue for that was the newly formed FG.
    Their remains a strong undercurrent within FG that leaving the Union was a mistake.
    I have heard many historians of the period describe the formative years of the Irish Free State as a mere rebranding exercise where harps replaced crowns, the RCC got their feet under the table, and the political ideologies remained unchanged.

That's interesting, got any sources from these historians?

Perfectly entitled to "express their disappointment" in what a fellow party member posts regarding their own party on Social media.

This isn't going to be another afternoon where I have to breakdown the already simplified text in my post for you Christy is it?

Have you any thoughts on MacNeills actions yourself, or will I need a torch and safety line for the rabbit hole do you think hehe?

What a surprise, another pathetic response. If posting about blackmail and interfering in the democratic process then you need to be very clear about what you find acceptable (which you weren't).

Couldn't give a fcuk about what MacNeill did or the SF person either.

Well it’s not the same thing in most people’s books. Most workplaces would have social media guidelines and breaking them is a disciplinary issue. It’s not surprising political parties have the same thing. However in normal circumstances a meeting would be arranged to resolve the issue, rather than calling to someone’s private residence uninvited.

Ah,,, the 'most people's minds' assertion again. Spokesperson for the chosen people stuff. :rolleyes:

Well, it's certainly coming the 'heavy'.

I ask any reasonable posters to wonder how this would be taken if it was a Shinner doing it. Keyboards would melt. :)

What a surprise, another pathetic response. If posting about blackmail and interfering in the democratic process then you need to be very clear about what you find acceptable (which you weren't).

Couldn't give a fcuk about what MacNeill did or the SF person either.

So little fcuks you wasted time commenting on it?

Get. Up. The. Yard. Not believable in the slightest Christopher.

Well, it's certainly coming the 'heavy'.

I ask any reasonable posters to wonder how this would be taken if it was a Shinner doing it. Keyboards would melt. :)

By the way, this is from the horses mouth.

On confronting a 19 year old on his social media contribution to Snapchat......
    In a statement yesterday, she said: “I was concerned about this post both because I felt it was not acceptable for the party in preserving dignity and respect for everyone in public life and because I knew that it would become a personal problem for the candidate, either as a candidate or as a councillor if successful in the election.”

She added: “My intention was to impress upon him the public import of the social media post made after the election and to say that I would need ultimately to let voting delegates know about this in some way before they made their choice on the new public representative for the Blackrock area.”

Ms Carroll MacNeill said she asked Mr Hutchinson to “reflect on his candidacy” or to “consider stepping back” from the election. “I said that we all make lots of mistakes, especially when we are young and that I knew I had made plenty along the way,” she said.

So little fcuks you wasted time commenting on it?

Get. Up. The. Yard. Not believable in the slightest Christopher.

Probably took a minute or less writing the first post, I've wasted time on a lot worse.

By the way, this is from the horses mouth.

On confronting a 19 year old on his social media contribution to Snapchat......

It's like the IRA's McMurph...the good ones and the bad ones.

This was a good threatening/intimidating trip to the beach. :D

Probably took a minute or less writing the first post, I've wasted time on a lot worse.

Sorry Christy, i was going to just let it slide, you've form on zoning in on things and luring folk down a rabbit hole, so I can't resist asking, curiosity has the better off me here.

If you couldn't give a fcuk - why waste the time even replying to me, seriously, you yourself say you only vote for FG as best of a bad lot, so I'm curious here, what prompted you to even reply to me?

• Advertisement

Sorry Christy, i was going to just let it slide, you've form on zoning in on things and luring folk down a rabbit hole, so I can't resist asking, curiosity has the better off me here.

If you couldn't give a fcuk - why waste the time even replying to me, seriously, you yourself say you only vote for FG as best of a bad lot, so I'm curious here, what prompted you to even reply to me?

I couldn't give a fcuk about their actions, this particular issue would not persuade me to vote for or against FG/SF.

I choose to ask you a question because it seemed strange that you would mention blackmail and interfering and in the same post use the wording "entitled to do so". You clarified which since which is fine.

I couldn't give a fcuk about their actions, this particular issue would not persuade me to vote for or against FG/SF.

I choose to ask you a question because it seemed strange that you would mention blackmail and interfering and in the same post use the wording "entitled to do so". You clarified which since which is fine.

Oh good, we're all cool so.

Oh good, we're all cool so.

Wouldn't go that far ;)

Seem to recall there was an article in History Ireland many years ago. On phone so can't find it, but their website is searchable...might need a subscription to access the archives tho.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Seem to recall there was an article in History Ireland many years ago. On phone so can't find it, but their website is searchable...might need a subscription to access the archives tho.

Found it

https://www.historyireland.com/20th-century-contemporary-history/the-dog-that-didnt-bark-southern-unionism-in-pre-and-post-revolutionary-ireland/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

UDAWINNER wrote: »

Disgraceful.
    Could have been literally anything and Flanagan would have signed off on it because HQ told him.

#notanormalparty

blanch152 wrote: »

He's dragging political discourse into the school yard. He is doing something right, decimating Fine Gael in elections.

Did you raise that with Eoghan Murphy during his PR stunt knocking into the most venerable?

I expect a slew of posters to jump in on this as it is far more intimidating and actually threatening toward the young man than the debunked 'sending around the heavies' lie.

• Advertisement

I expect a slew of posters to jump in on this as it is far more intimidating and actually threatening toward the young man than the debunked 'sending around the heavies' lie.

I expect a slew of "but they met on da beach" posts, like Jennifer "but the IRA" MacNeill was wanting to meet the lad to help her build a sandcastle, or look for starfish.

Btw, Party HQ were fully aware of what she did, and they still carried on the way they did about COM neighbour calling to her door as a friend, and leaving the same.

Advertisement