Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to still just do nothing for the next 5 years - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

Not predicting anything, just quoting the likelihood as things stand.

OK, as things stand, who is likely to be in government?

That depends on whether FF (likely under a different leader) wants to play ball...

That's true, the new leader could be looking for a spell in opposition to try to rebuild if not going in to government with FG and greens/independents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

A lot can change between now and a potentially 2025 election. There's even enough time between now and then for none of the current 'big 3' to be the main party, as unlikely as that is, or one of them to win enough seats to govern alone. Futile endeavour to be guessing who the 2025-2030 government will be made up of.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

christy c wrote: »
    OK, as things stand, who is likely to be in government?

I personally think FF will change leader. And the likelihood ATM is that will be J. O'Callaghan. He has no issues doing a deal with SF so that will change the game somewhat and finally end the powerswap as I predicted. This is it's last hurrah - a merger in everything but name. That will fail as the chaos is showing and that will be because of FG arrogance.
    I could see FF reubuilding themselves with a SF alliance and re-establishing some sort of identity for themselves and FG reverting to 3rd party status TBH.

Politics here is changing, lots of things in the air and any amount of permutations.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

That's true, the new leader could be looking for a spell in opposition to try to rebuild if not going in to government with FG and greens/independents.

Going by recent opinion poll figures, after the next election we will again be in a situation that a government can only be formed by two of the 'big three'. Assuming FG/SF is a nonrunner, if FF takes that line we will be headed for another general election. When you boil it down, FF will again be faced with a choice of a deal with FG or one with SF. And IMO there is a fair chance by that stage that a majority of FF members and supporters would prefer the latter.

• Advertisement

And IMO there is a fair chance by that stage that a majority of FF members and supporters would prefer the latter.

Yes that could well happen. While FG are no stranger to sending billions up in smoke, I always thought SF and FF would have been more closely aligned due to their Bertie style approach to the country's finances.

I suppose the point is with recent polls, the numbers are there for the current government to continue, should their members wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Yes that could well happen. While FG are no stranger to sending billions up in smoke, I always thought SF and FF would have been more closely aligned due to their Bertie style approach to the country's finances.

I suppose the point is with recent polls, the numbers are there for the current government to continue, should their members wish.

They've sent Ryan out to bat on the news the last 2 days, MM was tested but likely told to stay isolated for a few days, Varadkar on the other hand is nowhere to be seen so rumours of him being abroad start to emerge, is he in London or New York? Would he be that stupid?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

They've sent Ryan out to bat on the news the last 2 days, MM was tested but likely told to stay isolated for a few days, Varadkar on the other hand is nowhere to be seen so rumours of him being abroad start to emerge, is he in London or New York? Would he be that stupid?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Can't find anything on this. Where are these rumours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I personally don't care about the so called intimidation by either SF or FG. If the latest poll is accurate, it would likely result in FG back in government, and SF roaring safely from opposition. I'd say FG would be happy with that, after almost a decade in power.

Yet you never miss an opportunity to get a dig in.
    Are FG still the best of the worst or does the fact that they roar and shout about often trivial things (on the grand scale) while engaging in same, change your stance?
    FG have made themselves look fools to a public already jaded with their shenanigans.

• Advertisement

Bowie wrote: »
    Are FG still the best of the worst or does the fact that they roar and shout about often trivial things (on the grand scale) while engaging in same, change your stance?
    FG have made themselves look fools to a public already jaded with their shenanigans.

Dont think you've the high ground on digs.

Yes FG still best of the bad lot IMO. Would I rather they didn't engage in the nonsense about heavies, etc? Definitely. Things like Apple tax immediately rule out SF, SD, etc. for me.

Dont think you've the high ground on digs.

Yes FG still best of the bad lot IMO. Would I rather they didn't engage in the nonsense about heavies, etc? Definitely. Things like Apple tax immediately rule out SF, SD, etc. for me.

Call it as I see it.

Fair enough. For me its year on year record breaking crises coupled with cronyism and a bratty unsympathetic hypocritical attitude has me thinking FG are not fit for office.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Where in his post is he getting a dig in?

Would you agree that every poll for the last few months has shown that this government will be re-elected?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »

Would you agree that every poll for the last few months has shown that this government will be re-elected?

Democracy lesson 101. Nobody 'elects' a coalition government.

FF or FG or Greens? Or does it not matter? :)

I pay little heed to polls. They're interesting enough.

Are you going to share your outrage for Councillor Liam Galvin, y'know if it's about ethics and the like and not party politics?

Threatened a 70 year old over a social media post. Called to the door. Covid and so on. Scandalous...

#notanormalparty

Unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

smurgen wrote: »
    A heavy calling round to a 70 year old man's home at night?

Mr Galvin denied making such threats to Mr Roche but told the Sunday Independent: "When I called to that house and when I sent that text message, all the social media posts stopped."

Sounds like a right piece of work.
    Staunch party member piece of work, or helps rob a bank that ended in the murder of a Garda piece of work?

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Staunch party member piece of work, or helps rob a bank that ended in the murder of a Garda piece of work?

Conlon did glass a man in the face over an Irish Water argument but I don't believe he robbed any bank, (unless you think bailing them out was robbing the tax payer for the banks?).

And yet again with the FG tiers of wrongdoing.

It's either right or wrong.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    And yet again with the FG tiers of wrongdoing.

It's either right or wrong.

I know who I'd rather see come up my driveway, whatever the circumstances.

• Advertisement

Conlon did glass a man in the face over an Irish Water argument but I don't believe he robbed any bank, (unless you think bailing them out was robbing the tax payer for the banks?).

I don't.

I know who I'd rather see come up my driveway, whatever the circumstances.

Neither of them

Your happy for FG to go about threatening pensioners?

You cant be for real,its time for them.to apoligise to that man

My former local FG TD Catherine Byrne, when she was a TD, (pre-covid) before she lost her seat (and is now not a TD) backed a FG policy of canceling a local bus route. The people were upset and went around getting signatures to try retain it. She got wind of it and gave an interview telling a story of pensioners being fearful of people knocking on their door trying to bully them into signing...then it turned out is was the local pensioners going from door to door :)

#notanormalparty

My former local FG TD Catherine Byrne, when she was a TD, (pre-covid) before she lost her seat (and is now not a TD) backed a FG policy of canceling a local bus route. The people were upset and went around getting signatures to try retain it. She got wind of it and gave an interview telling a story of pensioners being fearful of people knocking on their door trying to bully them into signing...then it turned out is was the local pensioners going from door to door :)

#notanormalparty

More makeyuppy anecdotes from a reliable source.

I don’t believe your story.c

FF or FG or Greens? Or does it not matter? :)

I pay little heed to polls. They're interesting enough.

Are you going to share your outrage for Councillor Liam Galvin, y'know if it's about ethics and the like and not party politics?

Threatened a 70 year old over a social media post. Called to the door. Covid and so on. Scandalous...

#notanormalparty

You accused a poster of getting a dig in. I couldn’t see it. I asked you to explain. You respond with whataboutery nonsense, either explain the dig or apologise to the poster.

More makeyuppy anecdotes from a reliable source.

I don’t believe your story.c

'more' :)
    She'd know all about it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Why can't the former Fine Gaelers just slink off into the night quietly with their pensions and give our heads peace? The state of this.

https://twitter.com/gregspringaling/status/1341870470250065920?s=19

Why can't the former Fine Gaelers just slink off into the night quietly with their pensions and give our heads peace? The state of this.

https://twitter.com/gregspringaling/status/1341870470250065920?s=19

What an ignorant arsehole Yates is.

He should have asked him as a FG'er was he inclined to accept backhanders and piss on poor people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Good old FG still bullying people on social media. Weird thing to say from a TD. Sounds like a right piece of work.

https://twitter.com/campaign4kehoe/status/1343213203749220352?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

Good old FG still bullying people on social media. Weird thing to say from a TD. Sounds like a right piece of work.

https://twitter.com/campaign4kehoe/status/1343213203749220352?s=19

fg - so weird. But the shocking thing locally is how much Sinn Fein are cosying up to them.

nauseating.

Advertisement