Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to still just do nothing for the next 5 years - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

How about thinking positive.
    You say Tenements.
    I say a step up from student accommodation. It won’t suit everyone, but I’ll bet that there’ll be 100% occupancy as soon as they’re ready.

Proper planning and calls for joint up thinking labelled negative. That's negative to me.

How about 'thinking' full stop?

Do not cause bigger problems and don't fall for people taking advantage for personal gain during a crisis.

Try looking at the bigger picture. Not everyone wants to live in a 4 bed semi detached house in suburbia. These properties would be a perfect stepping stone for a young person setting out who doesn’t want a houseshare or apartment/house. Try “Yes, we can” instead of nitpicking every possible solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Try looking at the bigger picture. Not everyone wants to live in a 4 bed semi detached house in suburbia. These properties would be a perfect stepping stone for a young person setting out who doesn’t want a houseshare or apartment/house. Try “Yes, we can” instead of nitpicking every possible solution.

We had a solution, it was bedsits, they weren't great but they were considerably cheaper and had more privacy than the co-living type developments.
    Guess who got rid of them (fg) and increased rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The bigger picture also includes - problems down the road because the development was unsustainable and someone having a 'surplus of sterling' because normal planning criteria was overlooked.

The bigger picture also includes - problems down the road because the development was unsustainable and someone having a 'surplus of sterling' because normal planning criteria was overlooked.

Have you a link to that?

• Advertisement

Have you a link to that?

To 'the bigger picture'? No, I don't. Do you?

To 'the bigger picture'? No, I don't. Do you?

The bigger picture is the creation of 90 living spaces. Serviced, concierge, on site laundry, kitchen, work spaces. Accommodation suitable for young people or older single people who don’t want/need bigger spaces.
    Here’s one source. https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/dublin-city-council-gives-green-light-to-co-living-scheme-at-kiely-s-of-donnybrook-1.4462252
    I’m sure the planning office would have any additional info that you might need.

Your vision of the bigger picture is just negative thinking. Try positivity.

The bigger picture is the creation of 90 living spaces. Serviced, concierge, on site laundry, kitchen, work spaces. Accommodation suitable for young people or older single people who don’t want/need bigger spaces.
    Here’s one source. https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/dublin-city-council-gives-green-light-to-co-living-scheme-at-kiely-s-of-donnybrook-1.4462252
    I’m sure the planning office would have any additional info that you might need.

Your vision of the bigger picture is just negative thinking. Try positivity.

Sorry to burst your bubble of positive thinking but good public representation has to consider the 'entire' bigger picture and balance it, in the public interest.

Sorry to burst your bubble of positive thinking but good public representation has to consider the 'entire' bigger picture and balance it, in the public interest.

And what’s better for the public interest than a wide variety of accommodation?

How about we do things properly,instead of half arsed as usual

What other country wants to move families back into tenaments.....can you gaurantee 100% no families will be moved into these?

I dont think your claim of 100% occupency is the win you think it is,its an indictment of the state the government have left the housing situation in

Why cant we have proper state led,affordable housing schemes,instead of passing off 19th century failed housing methods,as the great leap forward???

Is there an ounce of commonsense in ffg membership

Who said families or tenements? Serviced living quarters are far removed from tenements! Why would a family move into one of these when they’re not suitable for their needs?

• Advertisement

And what’s better for the public interest than a wide variety of accommodation?

What is better in the public interest than representatives doing their jobs. Looking at the FULL bigger picture Maryanne? not the FG FF and vested interests one.

Properly administered quarantine as disproportionate.
    The death's, lockdowns and prevalence of Covid in the community must not be serious enough for Leo. He's not fit for public service at all. In completely over his head.

https://twitter.com/SeanDefoe/status/1352229849054801920?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That is a very serious and specific allegation to make that there are corrupt dealings behind the development of co-living apartment schemes.

We have not been discussing planning in general, neither have we been discussing historical incidents, we have been discussing the current development of co-living and you have made very specific allegations in that regard around corruption.

Either you withdraw those allegations or you substantiate them. Either way, what happened to the much-vaunted standard of waiting for a court of law to determine.

How about we do things properly,instead of half arsed as usual

What other country wants to move families back into tenaments.....can you gaurantee 100% no families will be moved into these?

I dont think your claim of 100% occupency is the win you think it is,its an indictment of the state the government have left the housing situation in

Why cant we have proper state led,affordable housing schemes,instead of passing off 19th century failed housing methods,as the great leap forward???

Is there an ounce of commonsense in ffg membership

Tenements? Families moving in?

To buildings with every mod con and facility, gyms, etc.

This is overblown hyperbole. I can tell you that if they had been available when I was young and single I would have been interested.

smurgen wrote: »
    The death's, lockdowns and prevalence of Covid in the community must not be serious enough for Leo. He's not fit for public service at all. In completely over his head.

I.E. Not prepared to stand up to Unionist intransigence and call it out. Let the truth fall where it may as Ian Paisley was fond of saying.

If FG FF did call them out, perish the thought they might be seen as siding with the Shinners...as it always was.

blanch152 wrote: »
    That is a very serious and specific allegation to make that there are corrupt dealings behind the development of co-living apartment schemes.

We have not been discussing planning in general, neither have we been discussing historical incidents, we have been discussing the current development of co-living and you have made very specific allegations in that regard around corruption.

Either you withdraw those allegations or you substantiate them. Either way, what happened to the much-vaunted standard of waiting for a court of law to determine.

No, sorry to disappoint. I have said repeatedly that public representatives have to look at the entire bigger picture which may or may not include that which you do not wish to talk about nor like to be reminded about.

smurgen wrote: »

Accommodating the 54,000 people who arrived in Ireland over the Christmas period in hotels would have used up over one-third of the total hotel space in Ireland.

Hotels employ 150,000 people approximately. That would have meant bringing back to work around 60,000 people to look after the 54,000 who arrived in Ireland over Christmas and those 60,000 people would have had to work through Christmas looking after the 54,000 people coming into Ireland (and spreading the virus according to you) before going home to their families and spreading it there. Not to mention all the taxi drivers transporting them to the hotels spread around the country.

And, at the same time, you are against the handful of resource teachers and SNAs going back to work to look after our most vulnerable children.

Describing some of the reactions on this thread to reasonable Government actions as hysterical nonsense would be an understatement. Quarantining does not work for Ireland because of the Dublin-London air corridor and the business links between here and the UK. Imposing a quarantine as you suggest would also make the shortages of food on M&S shelves look like a feast in all supermarkets.

No, sorry to disappoint. I have said repeatedly that public representatives have to look at the entire bigger picture which may or may not include that which you do not wish to talk about nor like to be reminded about.

Who exactly has been convicted in a court of law of receiving a "surplus of sterling"?

Furthermore, we know that Dessie Ellis has been convicted in a court of law of membership of the IRA, does that allow me to conclude that every member of Sinn Fein is a member of the IRA?

Who exactly has been convicted in a court of law of receiving a "surplus of sterling"?

Furthermore, we know that Dessie Ellis has been convicted in a court of law of membership of the IRA, does that allow me to conclude that every member of Sinn Fein is a member of the IRA?

You can do what you like.

Who did I say was convicted in a court of recieving a 'surplus of sterling'?

A FG councillor breached ethics by demanding loads of sterling in return for planning favours.

A FG councillor breached ethics by demanding loads of sterling in return for planning favours.

A single FG councillor breached ethics, but was not convicted in a court of law for any criminal act, and you can then extrapolate from that and claim that co-living devlopments involving FG are based on corruption.

Do you see where this goes? Have a think about the misogynistic, racist, homophobic and sectarian actions and utterings of various SF councillors? The conspiracy theories on vaccines, 9/11 and other subjects spouted by various SF TDs? Better still, let's look at the convictions of SF members whether it was the one taking a baseball bat to a guy in his garage or the more notorious actions of Dessie Ellis and his comrades? Or we could just say O'Snodaigh is the embodiment of SF?

You demand standards of others, apply them to yourself first.

• Advertisement

Block is my advice. There seems to be nonsense white noise posting. And ramping up lately.

There was a question asked as to why the Greens were not responding to a non-existent report on plastic waste in Ireland.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/4221c-waste-action-plan-for-a-circular-economy/

Probably because they were busy doing something about it rather than shouting from the sidelines. The waste action plan makes for a very good read about what Ireland is doing and will continue to do to tackle the problem of waste.

A single FG councillor breached ethics, but was not convicted in a court of law for any criminal act, and you can then extrapolate from that and claim that co-living devlopments involving FG are based on corruption.

It may be the case. Planning corruption has been a feature of Irish life. You may need to get over that. Others have to keep a constant watch on it as well as make other considerations.

It's called compliance to Standards in Public Office, funnily enough.

It may be the case. Planning corruption has been a feature of Irish life. You may need to get over that. Others have to keep a constant watch on it as well as make other considerations.

It's called compliance to Standards in Public Office, funnily enough.

It may be the case that every member of Sinn Fein is homophobic, sectarian, racist, misogynist, beats up people for fun and is a member of the IRA?

It's called applying the same standards to both sides of a debate.

It may be the case that every member of Sinn Fein is homophobic, sectarian, racist, misogynist, beats up people for fun and is a member of the IRA?

It's called applying the same standards to both sides of a debate.

Now, I never said at any point in this debate that corruption was present in this particular case.

I said (read carefully please) that Public Reps are duty bound to look at the entire bigger picture which may or may not involve somebody looking to have their pockets lined as has been the case before in this country sadly.

If you have an issue with that, debate that, DO NOT mis-represent what has been said, as you usually do.

Now, I never said at any point in this debate that corruption was present in this particular case.

I said (read carefully please) that Public Reps are duty bound to look at the entire bigger picture which may or may not involve somebody looking to have their pockets lined as has been the case before in this country sadly.

If you have an issue with that, debate that, DO NOT mis-represent what has been said, as you usually do.

By definition, any bigger picture does not include a single isolated incident for which nobody was convicted of any crime.

In fact, including that as the bigger picture is the very opposite of the definition of bigger picture.

By definition, any bigger picture does not include a single isolated incident for which nobody was convicted of any crime.

In fact, including that as the bigger picture is the very opposite of the definition of bigger picture.

Planning corruption was 'isolated'? Hmmmm.

Can you gaurantee 100% families off homeless list,womt be moved to these modern day tenaments to save money vs putting them up in hotels?

I can't guarantee that you won't be forcibly moved there in a Sinn Fein totalitarian state.

I can say that they aren't designed for either.

Can you gaurantee 100% families off homeless list,womt be moved to these modern day tenaments to save money vs putting them up in hotels?

Families will stay in hotels or hubs until they get the foreva home of their desire. No one is going to put a family into a co living unit! Try to get the idea of tenements out of your mind. A tenement was a rundown building with no services. These will not only have services but a concierge. Running water. Heating. Communal kitchen and dining areas, should they be needed.

• Advertisement

Families will stay in hotels or hubs until they get the foreva home of their desire. No one is going to put a family into a co living unit! Try to get the idea of tenements out of your mind. A tenement was a rundown building with no services. These will not only have services but a concierge. Running water. Heating. Communal kitchen and dining areas, should they be needed.

And their own gyms, don't forget the gyms, cinema and events as well.

Advertisement