Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to still just do nothing for the next 5 years - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Joe McHugh raised his head on Highland radio this morning, first media in many many months,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

CarProblem wrote: »
    But Varadkar did say last night (on Claire Byrne Live) that if the government introduced mandatory quarantine summer holidays and having relatives visit for Xmas would be "off the agenda". Like it or not twitter is a means used to provide news, even by RTE, The IT etc. Here's the link - apologies it's from twitter (which you probably don't like as it doesn't tell you what you want to hear)

https://twitter.com/ClaireByrneLive/status/1353840921981415424?s=20

That is a fair comment by Leo.
    People think mandatory quarantine is easy to implement and that there will be no cost.

He is just laying it out, that there will be a cost and international travel will be severely curtailed.
    In other words, it is the reality of what people are proposing and you better take the rough with the smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

markodaly wrote: »
    People think mandatory quarantine is easy to implement and that there will be no cost.

He is just laying it out, that there will be a cost and international travel will be severely curtailed.
    In other words, it is the reality of what people are proposing and you better take the rough with the smooth.

Rolling lockdowns,long term illness/death and restricted travel to within a few km or travel within the country ? Hmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Last week Leo was assuring us that the 'vast majority' of the 33k travellers through the airport was for 'essential reasons'.
    Varadkar added that the numbers of people coming into Ireland had come down to approximately 33,000 people per week, the vast majority of whom, Varadkar claimed, were travelling for essential reasons.

Now they've been rumbled by Prime Times report last night, half are coming from holidays.

How much more nonsense and spin will we have to listen to?

smurgen wrote: »
    Rolling lockdowns,long term illness/death and restricted travel to within a few km or travel within the country ? Hmmmm.

Hold on a sec though. You were jumping up and down, demanding travel restrictions and mandatory quarantining.

Now it appears you get your wish, yet you are still not happy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Last week Leo was assuring us that the 'vast majority' of the 33k travellers through the airport was for 'essential reasons'.

Now they've been rumbled by Prime Times report last night, half are coming from holidays.

How much more nonsense and spin will we have to listen to?

They are winging it and bull****ting to cover.

MM says its mostly people comeback from holidays. LV caught spoofing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Hold on a sec though. You were jumping up and down, demanding travel restrictions and mandatory quarantining.

Now it appears you get your wish, yet you are still not happy?

I'm a in favour of mandatory quarantine and at a dedicated facility paid for by the travellers. Two weeks. And you? What are you in favour of?

They are winging it and bull****ting to cover.

MM says its mostly people comeback from holidays. LV caught spoofing again.

The Minister For Transport, the fecking Minister, when asked was he aware of the flights to and from Lanzarote...said 'No'.

I don't often facepalm in front of the telly but I did last night.

I'm a in favour of mandatory quarantine and at a dedicated facility paid for by the travellers. Two weeks. And you? What are you in favour of?

We may be in agreement for once, being the dedicated facility being hotels of course modelled on the Australia/NZ process.

That will mean, only 500-600 people allowed in per day into the country as it has to be staggered. Leo is dead right to paint in the reality of what mandatory quarantining actually entails. It's not unicorn and roses and rainbows.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

We may be in agreement for once, being the dedicated facility being hotels of course modelled on the Australia/NZ process.

That will mean, only 500-600 people allowed in per day into the country as it has to be staggered. Leo is dead right to paint in the reality of what mandatory quarantining actually entails. It's not unicorn and roses and rainbows.

Would have thought 500/600 people a day in the midst of a pandemic would be doable tbh.

If I recall correctly, they're not supposed to be travelling here at all except for essential travel, IE essential work. Most of these (or all of these) are exempt to restrictions anyway. (A list of exempt workers is on the hse site)

I'm not trying to be smart here, but wtf are 5/600 people per day doing arriving into a country that's in level 5 lockdown anyways?

• Advertisement

McMurphy wrote: »
    Would have thought 500/600 people a day in the midst of a pandemic would be doable tbh.

Yes, its doable, but still a large operation where many things can go wrong. Just as the Australians or the Kiwis as they had many teething issues at the start.

However, it's a big drop from circa 33,000 per week coming in at the moment.
    It will mean, that people will miss funerals of their parents or children and loved ones, that is the negative consequences of this action that some have not thought through fully.

Yes, its doable, but still a large operation where many things can go wrong. Just as the Australians or the Kiwis as they had many teething issues at the start.

However, it's a big drop from circa 33,000 per week coming in at the moment.
    It will mean, that people will miss funerals of their parents or children and loved ones, that is the negative consequences of this action that some have not thought through fully.

I've noted funerals are okay now. Its a bit rich to hear folk citing missing funerals having spent the summer sticking it to the Storey funeral (while ignoring the Horkan).
    Attending funerals is a bad idea. Flying is a bad idea. I watched a live stream of the funeral of a relative earlier this year. I don't see the big problem. The deceased won't care.
    People think these things through. Its the FF/FG/Greens constantly trying to bolt the door after the Jones return from Lanzarote.
    There'll be rolling lockdowns into 2022 if they don't get their **** together.

McMurphy wrote: »

If I recall correctly, they're not supposed to be travelling here at all except for essential travel, IE essential work. Most of these (or all of these) are exempt to restrictions anyway. (A list of exempt workers is on the hse site)

I'm not trying to be smart here, but wtf are 5/600 people per day doing arriving into a country that's in level 5 lockdown anyways?

Some are coming back from Poland after getting a boob job, tummy tuck, new teeth etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I am not in favour of exposing low-paid hotel workers, mostly immigrants living in cramped conditions, to "Covid-infested travellers" as they have been described on here. Are you? What are you in favour of?

Those hotel workers would be at greater risk than teachers and SNAs, so I would favour schools being reopened before exposing hotel workers to those risks. And you? Would you agree?

blanch152 wrote: »
    I am not in favour of exposing low-paid hotel workers, mostly immigrants living in cramped conditions, to "Covid-infested travellers" as they have been described on here. Are you? What are you in favour of?

Those hotel workers would be at greater risk than teachers and SNAs, so I would favour schools being reopened before exposing hotel workers to those risks. And you? Would you agree?

So rather than come up with a way to do it that has been done elsewhere, you would rather expose the general population.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭CarProblem

Firstly - my post was in response to nonsense from another poster, not whether it was reasonable or not

Secondly it's not a "fair comment". The government is dittering and for some reason opposing quarantine (some people suggest it's due to putting lobbyists ahead of the general population again - honestly I'm not sure why). All Leo The Clown is trying to do is pull at people's heartstrings and try get them onside with "look at the poor puppy dog" type bullshit.

Thing is (like pretty much all of his spoofing) - it's not working. The scientific community (and to the best of my knowledge the general population) is still calling for mandatory quarantine and they all know the consequences

Thankfully there are people exposing the spin and downright lies that are being told to the public.

https://twitter.com/CathMurphyTD/status/1354561199556468739

Thankfully there are people exposing the spin and downright lies that are being told to the public.

Of course travel is essential. Peeple have to get home from the boxin in Dubi. Heard plenty of dem on Pat Kenny today.

Firstly - my post was in response to nonsense from another poster, not whether it was reasonable or not

Secondly it's not a "fair comment". The government is dittering and for some reason opposing quarantine (some people suggest it's due to putting lobbyists ahead of the general population again - honestly I'm not sure why). All Leo The Clown is trying to do is pull at people's heartstrings and try get them onside with "look at the poor puppy dog" type bullshit.

Thing is (like pretty much all of his spoofing) - it's not working. The scientific community (and to the best of my knowledge the general population) is still calling for mandatory quarantine and they all know the consequences

Only some parts of the scientific community are calling for mandatory quarantine, there are mixed opinions. As this article also points out, there are issues with doing it in Ireland or on an all-island basis:

https://www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and-comment/2021/0127/1193477-zero-covid-politics/

"the Government has put emphasis on geographical factors. Tánaiste Leo Varadkar told the Dáil just last Thursday that a Zero Covid policy "might make sense in a country that can control its borders", but "we cannot do the same here because of the open land border with Northern Ireland that we do not want to close".

The Taoiseach added to this on Friday saying he had no intention of sealing the island, and no intention of sealing the border.

The obvious solution to the objections they raise is to introduce either an all-island approach – something resisted by the DUP, which opposes any measures that would treat arrivals from Britain as international travellers – or a two-island approach, which the Government favours but requires much more detailed discussion with British counterparts "

A two-island approach, if it can be achieved, balances the public health issues with the societal and economic wellbeing ones as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭CarProblem

Only some parts of the scientific community are calling for mandatory quarantine, there are mixed opinions

Can you give me some commentators who oppose please (along with track record - if like the government they've been wrong pretty much 100% of the time I'm not interested)?
    there are issues with doing it in Ireland

Of course but the government appears to simply make up another excuse when the bull**** they peddle is called out

Your quote appears (to me) to say the government doesn't want to close anything, not that it can't

• Advertisement

Can you give me some commentators who oppose please (along with track record - if like the government they've been wrong pretty much 100% of the time I'm not interested)?

Of course but the government appears to simply make up another excuse when the bull**** they peddle is called out

Your quote appears (to me) to say the government doesn't want to close anything, not that it can't

From the article:

"Its argument last September was that it was just not feasible and was not recommended by NPHET."

Now, I haven't heard anything from NPHET since that suggests that they are now advocating the New Zealand approach.

The Tanaiste is a proven spoofer.

Covid is keeping him here, they'd have given him some makey up position in America or Brussels if it were ordinary times, he'd be like Mairead Mc Guinness popping up every 5 years for a few cosy chats with Tubridy and Kenny

He's not alone, latest spoof/spin exposed being the Minister for Health's:

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1354764080121339909

You have to ask is this spin/spoof or pure incompetence?

They'll say its discalculia and its politically incorrect to bring it up,

Hard to tell TBH.

Mandatory hotel stays seem to be cool now. TBF it must be tough fighting tooth and nail to defend lads who flip flop so much.
    Far easier to form your own opinions and speak to them I find.
    I think its a good move despite the scaremongering. It will go on as long as we feel it's needed, no longer

Well, well, well.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0128/1193521-coronavirus-ireland/

"Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan also said a Zero Covid strategy would not work. "We simply couldn't realistically seal the borders of this country and stop movement of people in and out.""

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0128/1193732-coronavirus-health-briefings/

"In relation to a 'Zero Covid' strategy, the Chief Medical Officer said that some of the advocacy around it would be very difficult to apply in Ireland.

On proposals for it, Dr Tony Holohan said that many of the measures that we already have in place, including increased restrictions around travel, take us in much the same direction.

He said we are part of a union of countries in Europe which has been the epicentre of this infection in a way that other Zero Covid countries are not.

Dr Holohan said that we are fully embedded in the EU, economically, socially, politically and culturally and we are a small economy dependant on the links we have built over many years. "

Are we going to follow the public health advice this time?

So it turns out after all the criticism over the last few days by posters on here, that the government has been following the public health advice in relation to the quarantine issue and that there are solid reasons for that advice.

Well, well, well.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0128/1193521-coronavirus-ireland/

"Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan also said a Zero Covid strategy would not work. "We simply couldn't realistically seal the borders of this country and stop movement of people in and out.""

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0128/1193732-coronavirus-health-briefings/

"In relation to a 'Zero Covid' strategy, the Chief Medical Officer said that some of the advocacy around it would be very difficult to apply in Ireland.

On proposals for it, Dr Tony Holohan said that many of the measures that we already have in place, including increased restrictions around travel, take us in much the same direction.

He said we are part of a union of countries in Europe which has been the epicentre of this infection in a way that other Zero Covid countries are not.

Dr Holohan said that we are fully embedded in the EU, economically, socially, politically and culturally and we are a small economy dependant on the links we have built over many years. "

Are we going to follow the public health advice this time?

So it turns out after all the criticism over the last few days by posters on here, that the government has been following the public health advice in relation to the quarantine issue and that there are solid reasons for that advice.

Why are you quoting something I pointed to in that? I pointed to the mixed confused statements being made by the government. Are you denying that they aren't?

Why are you quoting something I pointed to in that? I pointed to the mixed confused statements being made by the government. Are you denying that they aren't?

Apologies, I should have used these quotes instead to show your support for the quarantining of all travellers that has now been rubbished by Holohan and Nolan.
    Well he wasn't coming across as somebody out to make a buck.

And had you listened to the girl in quarantine in Vietnam you would have heard her say she had little to no contact with staff at all. Not hard to imagine how it would work if you have ever stayed in a hotel.

You are inventing obstacles again.
    He made perfect sense, plenty of hotel beds to implement this.

There is also the fact that the 900 euros the girl had to pay in Vietnam would be a huge inhibitor for those insisting on coming to the country. Win win.

Do you still think that myself, Philip Nolan and Tony Holohan are inventing obstacles to the idea?

• Advertisement

Apologies, I should have used these quotes instead to show your support for the quarantining of all travellers that has now been rubbished by Holohan and Nolan.

Do you still think that myself, Philip Nolan and Tony Holohan are inventing obstacles to the idea?

They are saying WE SHOULDN'T DO IT, YOU blanch were saying we COULDN'T (physically) DO IT.

Once again your desperation to be right embarrasses you.

Advertisement