Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to still just do nothing for the next 5 years - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

They are saying WE SHOULDN'T DO IT, YOU blanch were saying we COULDN'T (physically) DO IT.

Once again your desperation to be right embarrasses you.

They are saying we shouldn't do it because we can't and it won't work.

Semantic differences with me.

As I asked already, are you standing over your support for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    They are saying we shouldn't do it because we can't and it won't work.

Semantic differences with me.

As I asked already, are you standing over your support for it?

I never supported or opposed it. I contested the claim that it was physically impossible.

I will follow expert advice not advice which is more aligned with a dislike of a political party than it is with expertise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

They are saying WE SHOULDN'T DO IT, YOU blanch were saying we COULDN'T (physically) DO IT.

Once again your desperation to be right embarrasses you.

Every likelihood UK will attempt some sort of ZeroCovid strategy in the next few weeks, North will be excluded if we don't follow suit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Well, well, well.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0128/1193521-coronavirus-ireland/

"Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan also said a Zero Covid strategy would not work. "We simply couldn't realistically seal the borders of this country and stop movement of people in and out.""

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0128/1193732-coronavirus-health-briefings/

"In relation to a 'Zero Covid' strategy, the Chief Medical Officer said that some of the advocacy around it would be very difficult to apply in Ireland.

On proposals for it, Dr Tony Holohan said that many of the measures that we already have in place, including increased restrictions around travel, take us in much the same direction.

He said we are part of a union of countries in Europe which has been the epicentre of this infection in a way that other Zero Covid countries are not.

Dr Holohan said that we are fully embedded in the EU, economically, socially, politically and culturally and we are a small economy dependant on the links we have built over many years. "

Are we going to follow the public health advice this time?

So it turns out after all the criticism over the last few days by posters on here, that the government has been following the public health advice in relation to the quarantine issue and that there are solid reasons for that advice.

Jesus Blanch that's a desperate attempt at one-upmanship.
    Individuals post to boards and criticise the governments lack of continuity or cherry picking which advice they decide to follow.
    Varadkar says no point in closing airports as most are essential travelers. Then MM says it's many people coming and going on holidays. Then LV says they are considering closing airports but what about people who want to attend funerals? Meaning funerals are okay, if it suits the scaremongering.
    That's the criticism. Valid and there for all to see,

So Holohan comes out with this latest statement. We should follow his lead.
    But because it in some small way back LV's dithering and government flip flopping it's a point score or something?
    Poor.

Of course if you can quote folk saying close airports and we'll have zero covid in no time....

Jesus Blanch that's a desperate attempt at one-upmanship.
    Individuals post to boards and criticise the governments lack of continuity or cherry picking which advice they decide to follow.
    Varadkar says no point in closing airports as most are essential travelers. Then MM says it's many people coming and going on holidays. Then LV says they are considering closing airports but what about people who want to attend funerals? Meaning funerals are okay, if it suits the scaremongering.
    That's the criticism. Valid and there for all to see,

So Holohan comes out with this latest statement. We should follow his lead.
    But because it in some small way back LV's dithering and government flip flopping it's a point score or something?
    Poor.

Of course if you can quote folk saying close airports and we'll have zero covid in no time....

You got it wrong. Simple as that. The criticism of the government over the last week on this and other threads around this issue has been shown up by Holohan.

I am just pointing this out. We have had pages of drivel about how the country and the island should be sealed off, all of it blown away by Holohan and Nolan. Let's move on now.

• Advertisement

You got it wrong. Simple as that. The criticism of the government over the last week on this and other threads around this issue has been shown up by Holohan.

I am just pointing this out. We have had pages of drivel about how the country and the island should be sealed off, all of it blown away by Holohan and Nolan. Let's move on now.

No it has not.

The all island approach was regarding the north and south working in tandem. SF and LV advocated for this. As did health experts, MON and Foster.
    Then we had people, myself included saying we should close the airports and sea ports to all but essential travel goods etc.
    Government has said it shouldn't be done, can't be done, it's not off the table.

Holohan comes out with this. So some of us, government included had ideas Holohan says there is little point in carrying out.
    I don't see your win here. Or point. I really don't.

If the governement are flip flopping they'll hit the mark on occasion.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/tanaiste-leo-varadkar-now-not-23397608

Varadkar for zerocovid?

Not ruling anything out that works does not mean he is for Zero Covid. Nice try though.

Even if he was, then he was also out of step with the public health advice and posters like myself who consistently pointed out the issues.

Not ruling anything out that works does not mean he is for Zero Covid. Nice try though.

Even if he was, then he was also out of step with the public health advice and posters like myself who consistently pointed out the issues.

So if people give their opinions based on the current health advice they are talking 'drivel'. If Varadkar flip flops or ignores health advice all together he's not?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,553 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

So if people give their opinions based on the current health advice they are talking 'drivel'. If Varadkar flip flops or ignores health advice all together he's not?

Who are these “people” dude

• Advertisement

So by your estimation he's stupid too?

Not at all. It's like his pal/not pal. He was saying both ;)

That depends on whether you accept the outlandish interpretation of the tabloid newspaper article to mean that Leo was in favour of Zero Covid.

That depends on whether you accept the outlandish interpretation of the tabloid newspaper article to mean that Leo was in favour of Zero Covid.

Is there any newspaper that isn't tabloid now? Indo tries to out cheese the National Enquirer on a daily basis, presume the Irish Times is bought for its quality as cat bedding rather than anything written in it

Is there any newspaper that isn't tabloid now? Indo tries to out cheese the National Enquirer on a daily basis, presume the Irish Times is bought for its quality as cat bedding rather than anything written in it

We know Varadkar advocates for the all island approach. A bit late to the party, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Not at all. It's like his pal/not pal. He was saying both ;)

Half in and half out MrBrown, you know how it goes.

I once read a post on here that went as so.

Poster1 "Northern Ireland had higher covid rates than us"

Poster2""Eh, we literally had the highest infection rates in the entire world, right here in the 26 counties for covid, just this week."

Poster1s reply "Aye but that was just for a wee while, northern Ireland had higher"

Little bit pregnant, or a wee bit dead and buried.

Complete. And. Utter. Disingenuous. Scutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

McMurphy wrote: »
    Half in and half out MrBrown, you know how it goes.

I once read a post on here that went as so.

Poster1 "Northern Ireland had higher covid rates than us"

Poster2""Eh, we literally had the highest infection rates in the entire world, right here in the 26 counties for covid, just this week."

Poster1s reply "Aye but that was just for a wee while, northern Ireland had higher"

Little bit pregnant, or a wee bit dead and buried.

Complete. And. Utter. Disingenuous. Scutter.

I don't get what you are trying to say here. The statements made by both poster 1 and 2 in your scenario can both be correct at the same time.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I don't get what you are trying to say here. The statements made by both poster 1 and 2 in your scenario can both be correct at the same time.

They can indeed, but the reality is that the Government down here have done a better job of containing Covid than either the Stormont government or the Westminister government.

That narrative is poisonous to some because they keep trying to peddle the idea that someone else might do better.

Often happens when you don't read all of what has been posted. The conversation the poster refers to, went along those lines.

Often happens when you don't read all of what has been posted. The conversation the poster refers to, went along those lines.

I'm reading all of what McMurphy posted and commenting based on that. If he is poorly explaining and incorrectly quoting how the actual conversation he is referring to went then fair enough.

• Advertisement

I'm reading all of what McMurphy posted and commenting based on that. If he is poorly explaining and incorrectly quoting how the actual conversation he is referring to went then fair enough.

He/she isn't. That is basically how it went. The macabre competition some notable posters entered biting them on the arse.

He/she isn't. That is basically how it went. The macabre competition some notable posters entered biting them on the arse.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. Both poster 1 and poster 2 in McMurphy's example can be correct at the same time. They are not saying opposite things.

Who are the notable posters?

It is how how he imagined and interpreted the exchange. The whole thing is there if he wants to quote it. Easier to spin it though than to produce actual full quotes in context.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. Both poster 1 and poster 2 in McMurphy's example can be correct at the same time. They are not saying opposite things.

Who are the notable posters?

Try saying Poster 1's lines as an accusation against the boogeymen and women who live under the beds of notable posters.

Try saying Poster 1's lines as an accusation against the boogeymen and women who live under the beds of notable posters.

Can you actually give me a reasonable response to my query or is it just going to be silly things like the above?

This place is unreadable. Good luck.

How in under jaysis can both be correct at the same time?

One (ours) was officially recorded as the highest infection rate in the entire world at the time, how can anyone claim the norths was, or is worse than that?
    Ireland’s infection rate last week was not only the highest in the world, but one of the highest rates seen anywhere during the pandemic. It was second only to that recorded in Belgium in October – where the a seven-day rolling average hit 1,536 cases per million people.

Ireland's infection rate was second only to Belgium's in October of last year, not second to the Norths rate - second only to Belgium's.

Pedant the shyte out of that if you want - the north may have had, at one point in time a higher infection rate than us, but the fact is - we, Ireland leapfrogged their rate, it doesn't matter if it was for a short time, of one month, one week or one hour - our infection rate was higher than theirs and wasn't worse anywhere, during the entire pandemic than what it was in Belgium in October.

It's like claiming Niall Quinn scored more goals for Ireland than Keane did. It's a falsehood, untrue and complete bollox.

When you engage in macabre mickey measuring, have your facts to hand bubba, and don't jump in trying to defend the indefensible.

Can you actually give me a reasonable response to my query or is it just going to be silly things like the above?

This place is unreadable. Good luck.

What's your query?

McMurphy wrote: »
    When you engage in macabre mickey measuring, have your facts to hand bubba, and don't jump in trying to defend the indefensible.

I was typing up a reply explaining why both statements as you wrote them can absolutely be correct at the same time, but then I noticed this so deleted it as I realised it's pointless. No need for personal abuse, I didn't direct any in your direction.

What's your query?

I think at this point and time Francie, it's:

"Oh sh1t, how do I reverse away from this one"?

It's poor taste using sickness and deaths to try and score points, but FFS - if you insist on doing so, have your facts straight beforehand.

• Advertisement

I was typing up a reply explaining why both statements as you wrote them can absolutely be correct at the same time, but then I noticed this so deleted it as I realised it's pointless. No need for personal abuse, I didn't direct any in your direction.

Point out the personal abuse please.

Advertisement