Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to still just do nothing for the next 5 years - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Personally I would never make comments for any of the communities in Ireland I am not a part of, if it is LGBTQ, Polish, English, etc etc. They have their own voices and should never be told what they think. Just my own opinion.

That's great. (I think.) What's it got to do with my post though :confused:
    Could you explain what you mean by saying Leo been gay was "coincidental timing"?

No, it's in the article I linked to, read it and it will explain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

McMurphy wrote: »
    That's great. (I think.) What's it got to do with my post though :confused:

No, it's in the article I linked to, read it and it will explain.

No it doesn't mention anything about "coincidental timing" so could you please explain what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Personally I would never make comments for any of the communities in Ireland I am not a part of, if it is LGBTQ, Polish, English, etc etc. They have their own voices and should never be told what they think. Just my own opinion.

Could you explain what you mean by saying Leo been gay was "coincidental timing"?

It is a deeply insidious and cynical implication that has been peddled by some posters around here for quite a while. If you spell it out, they will accuse you of being the homophobic one.

No it doesn't mention anything about "coincidental timing" so could you please explain what you mean?

It does indeed cover what im referring to, I'm not here for to provide free literature lessons though. It's even in the headline FFS.:D

Read it again.

smurgen wrote: »
    Yep running with the hare and hunting with the hound when it was politically safe to do so. They deserve better. It's people's civil rights at stake and they need strong representatives.

It is very illuminating that certain posters think that there is something newsworthy about members of the LGBTQ community not liking Leo, or not voting for him and/or FG. It is as if they expect gay people to vote for gay politicians just because they are gay.

I would expect Leo to have as much opposition among the LGBTQ community as among the population at large. Given the views expressed about him on here, that means it would include some who hate him. What is unusual or newsworthy about that?

Nothing, and it says a lot about the posters raising it.

• Advertisement

McMurphy wrote: »
    It does indeed cover what im referring to, I'm not here for to provide free literature lessons though. It's even in the headline FFS.:D

Read it again.

"It's easy to do the right thing when it's cool and profitable" Thats the headline

The word "timing" and the word "coincidental" are not mentioned anywhere on that page. So please explain what you mean by that statement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Sorry, is this directed at me?

Its part of the discussion in which you are included. I'm explaining my issue with you trying to excuse what I described.

"It's easy to do the right thing when it's cool and profitable" Thats the headline

The word "timing" and the word "coincidental" are not mentioned anywhere on that page. So please explain what you mean by that statement?

Would you like a box of bright crayons to join the dots?

blanch152 wrote: »
    It is a deeply insidious and cynical implication that has been peddled by some posters around here for quite a while. If you spell it out, they will accuse you of being the homophobic one.

Nobody uses the gay community more than you.
    Its suggested that Varadkar was against equality for the gay community until it was politically expedient. If you can't debate that without throwing around the usual baseless claims that's on you.

See below for a prime example.
    It is very illuminating that certain posters think that there is something newsworthy about members of the LGBTQ community not liking Leo, or not voting for him and/or FG. It is as if they expect gay people to vote for gay politicians just because they are gay.

I would expect Leo to have as much opposition among the LGBTQ community as among the population at large. Given the views expressed about him on here, that means it would include some who hate him. What is unusual or newsworthy about that?

Nothing, and it says a lot about the posters raising it.

The man himself said he was against it because he wasn't out and thought why should they have these freedoms when he can't? That's a problem with his judgement IMO.

Nobody uses the gay community more than you.
    Its suggested that Varadkar was against equality for the gay community until it was politically expedient. If you can't debate that without throwing around the usual baseless claims that's on you.

So you are accusing Varadkar of using his homosexuality for political purposes, there is no other interpretation.

Have you ever accused another politician of using their heterosexuality for political purposes?

If you think about that, it might dawn on you what is meant by low-level dog-whistle homophobia.

• Advertisement

So you are accusing Varadkar of using his homosexuality for political purposes, there is no other interpretation.

Have you ever accused another politician of using their heterosexuality for political purposes?

If you think about that, it might dawn on you what is meant by low-level dog-whistle homophobia.

Yes. I am. Can't speak for others.

No. Not that I can recall.

No, thats your take away. The man was against equality for gays until it suited him. By your logic every gay person thinks the same and to disagree is to be homophobic. Thats plainly idiotic at best.
    There you go using the gay community to try score points again.

You criticise Clare Daly and Mary Lou. Are you a misogynist? Was a woman made the remark that inspired Varadkar to say SF don't like white middle class men. He must be a misogynist so...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

What was your first user name?

Varadkar deos not equal the "gay community" whatever that is....theres no community,just people who fancy their own sex

Lol

What other low level homophobia do you virtue signal againest???......given there is at least one other prominent politian here who isnt fully out,whom gets regular cuts about it??

What was your first user name?

Long time ago. I'm not calling people homophobic to try win points in unrelated discussions.
    Am I racist now because of the current? :rolleyes:

I remember the time FG TD Tom Barry, pulled his party colleague Aine Collins on to his lap, late in the Dail one night.

The seediness of it was mentioned fairly regularly on this site, and I don't recall anyone, ever, accusing those who mentioned it as having anything against heterosexuality boss.

Prob because it's feckin irrelevant and no one gives a shyt what sexual persuasion they are, because acting the dick, is acting the dick.

Try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

Varadkar deos not equal the "gay community" whatever that is....theres no community

There most certainly is. Here's a starting point for you :

https://lgbt.ie/

Its a community.

Varadkar deos not equal the "gay community" whatever that is....theres no community,just people who fancy their own sex

The level of misinformation on this thread is amazing

Yes. I am. Can't speak for others.

No. Not that I can recall.

No, thats your take away. The man was against equality for gays until it suited him. By your logic every gay person thinks the same and to disagree is to be homophobic. Thats plainly idiotic at best.

You criticise Clare Daly and Mary Lou. Are you a misogynist? Was a woman made the remark the inspired Varadkar to say SF don't like white middle class men. He must be a misogynist so...

The bit in bold is a nonsense interpretation of what I am saying.

As for Claire Daly and Mary-Lou, I have never accused them of using their sexuality for political purposes, nor would I. That is a level I don't sink to.

Your response on this occasion only copper-fastens my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

Where is this community located??

Jesus.

community
    /kəˈmjuːnɪti/
    noun
    The condition of sharing or having certain attitudes and interests in common.

Its v.divisive and now regarded as a type of self segragation within lgbt circles to regard themselves as a community,which caused deep debate jn UL when the college wanted to form lgbt only accomandation as while they wanted a safe space,many didnt want it either

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/432042/university-of-limerick-launches-housing-for-lgbt-students.html

What is divisive?
    Are you a member of LGBT?

• Advertisement

What is divisive?
    Are you a member of LGBT?

Some crazy stuff being posted here.

The bit in bold is a nonsense interpretation of what I am saying.

As for Claire Daly and Mary-Lou, I have never accused them of using their sexuality for political purposes, nor would I. That is a level I don't sink to.

Your response on this occasion only copper-fastens my view.

Thats cool blanch.
    Leo Varadkar stated that his sexuality was why he was against equality for the gay community. He stated that his thinking was that if he as a gay man can't have those freedoms, neither should anyone else. Now he might be lying again but we can only go by what he says.
    Is Leo a homophobe? Or would you be using his sexuality to defend his stance against gay rights? The idea that gay people have to all think the same and can't be argued because they are gay is ignorant.

Thats cool blanch.
    Leo Varadkar stated that his sexuality was why he was against equality for the gay community. He stated that his thinking was that if he as a gay man can't have those freedoms, neither should anyone else. Now he might be lying again but we can only go by what he says.
    Is Leo a homophobe? Or would you be using his sexuality to defend his stance against gay rights? The idea that gay people have to all think the same and can't be argued because they are gay is ignorant.

Wow, just wow. Just blatant lies now you are spouting both about Leo and about my posts.

Some crazy stuff being posted here.

Absolutely disgraceful comments

Interesting you would edit out the 1st bit :lolz:

community
    /kəˈmjuːnɪti/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    a group of people living in the same place

https://lgbt.ie/what-is-lgbt/
    Are you trying to tell people they can/can't call themselves a community?

Wow, just wow. Just blatant lies now you are spouting both about Leo and about my posts.

Shocked are you?
    "The Tánaiste admitted to being judgemental of other people before coming out, saying he probably held “conservative social views, almost as a reaction to the fact that, if I have to suppress who I am, then why shouldn’t other people - you know?"

How bout now?

Best do some stretching for the upcoming verbal gymnastics.

Absolutely disgraceful comments

It just shows that there is still a huge level of ignorance and prejudice out there in society. Some of these posters don't actually understand the meaning and implications of what they are posting. A cognitive blind spot in other words.

They can if they wamt,no skin off my nose

...but to my eyes a community is where a group of people live/work.....quite why this commonsense is being screamed at,is beyond me

Is there anything about community in your link?

If it was no skin off your nose then why did you post in the first place? you seem to have a big issue with it.

But let me get this straight, the LGBTQ shouldn't be allowed call themselves a community because you don't agree with it?

I have zero issue with it,why would i....literally has no impact on my life?

Quite literally said opposite in post you quoted....

This is what you posted.

Its v.divisive and now regarded as a type of self segragation within lgbt circles to regard themselves as a community,which caused deep debate jn UL when the college wanted to form lgbt only accomandation as while they wanted a safe space,many didnt want it either

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/432042/university-of-limerick-launches-housing-for-lgbt-students.html

So if it was no skin off your nose why post this with some random link to desperately try to back up your opinion?

Oh the irony of the last bit you posted after I quoted.

• Advertisement

It just shows that there is still a huge level of ignorance and prejudice out there in society. Some of these posters don't actually understand the meaning and implications of what they are posting. A cognitive blind spot in other words.

People raised issue with varadkar, you start inferring people were homophobic.
    That kind of carry on takes away from people genuinely fighting for equality.

Advertisement