Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best way to finish this bathroom wall?

• 11-08-2020 1:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭

So, the bathroom I've moved into has crap on the wall. Looking at the top section, it looks like someone has tried plastering the wall, but the bottom half looks bad. The second picture shows a closeup.

Rather than just fixing the bottom half with plaster, would plastering the entire wall be a better option? I would be painting the finished wall white in the future.

Was thinking of Polycell Plaster Repair Polyfilla Smooth.

The bathroom has had damp issues in the past due to past occupants turning off the extractor fan, but

522672.jpg
    522673.jpg

Here's a shot of the wall before I scrubbed most of the mould off it;
    Flash was not used in the above, it was just very mouldy before I scrubbed it.

522675.jpg

So although it's better, and the reason for the mould has mostly been eliminated, I'd like to tidy up the wall a bit further.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

That's pretty terrible and unhealthy. Are you the owner of the bathroom or currently renting. What's on the far side of that wall and it is localised there, any other mould in the bathroom.
    If it's a plasterboard wall and you're the now owner I'd be inclined to rip it out and reboard, plastering over will only delay it's reappearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

That's pretty terrible and unhealthy. Are you the owner of the bathroom or currently renting. What's on the far side of that wall and it is localised there, any other mould in the bathroom.
    If it's a plasterboard wall and you're the now owner I'd be inclined to rip it out and reboard, plastering over will only delay it's reappearance.
    Renter. Landlord won't input money into it. Although some may consider me a fool putting money into a house I don't own, in the short-term a bit of work to it will benefit me. It'd be an external brick wall. Far side of the wall is outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Stigura

Syco; While I don't like that mould either, considering what appears to be ye position? I'd suggest the stuff I have in my own shower.

Sorry. I have no names to offer. But, it's basically cellular plastic panels. Vertical and 'tongue and grooved'. About eight, ten inches wide? Choice of colours, of course. Shop selling shower type stuff will know exactly what ye on about.

Cut it to fit with a Stanley knife. Ye could almost stick it to the walls with drawing pins! I'm not exaggerating. That simple.

I managed mine, with ease! 'Nuff said? :D

Oh and, paltry cost. Factoring time, labour and result? Yeah :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Stigura

Stiguras Sexy Shower Shot

P8110464.jpg

So Manly, it's almost James Bond! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,545 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Stigura wrote: »
    Sorry. I have no names to offer. But, it's basically cellular plastic panels. Vertical and 'tongue and grooved'. About eight, ten inches wide? Choice of colours, of course. Shop selling shower type stuff will know exactly what ye on about.

This place sells it...
    https://www.celuplast.com/interior-finishes/panelling/

• Advertisement
Advertisement