Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much noise is acceptable?

Options
  • 11-08-2020 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

hi all, i am living in a semidetached rural area both propertys are owned by my landlord, my car recently fail its nct and being from a mechanical backround i do all my repairs myself, so on saturday at 12pm, i started a job on my car for its nct.

at around 3pm i was almost finished at this stage the landlord came over and told me im making too much noise and im not aloud use my air compressor, air gun, angle grinder, drill, power tools or hammer things. i told him these things were essential also im trying to get it done in as quick a time as possible and im not doing it for fun i just want to get my car through its nct.

im not doing it for profit or running a back street garage from the property i just keep the two cars in the house hold going. since moving in approx 10 months ago there has been no complaints noise or otherwise and always pay rent on time.

on the other side of the coin the landlord never gives notice when going to turn up same if anyone coming to do work etc. they are renting out next door as an air bnb but there was no holiday makers there while i was working on my car my landlords wife was there cleaning the property and she told him i have been out there making noise all morning. (they have come as early as 8am on a sunday to clean or carry out work next door).

the holiday makers have often disturbed us and we never said anything altho it would most like fall on deaf ears.

also bear in mind i don't go out everyday making a racket! but i have to wonder now does my power washer fall in this category what else is to be considered if im outside with a radio on enjoying the sun? i can only assume all this is to do with the air bnb as when i was moving in i informed the landlord that i would from time to time be doing repairs to the cars and the said it was fine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

hi all, i am living in a semidetached rural area both propertys are owned by my landlord, my car recently fail its nct and being from a mechanical backround i do all my repairs myself, so on saturday at 12pm, i started a job on my car for its nct.

at around 3pm i was almost finished at this stage the landlord came over and told me im making too much noise and im not aloud use my air compressor, air gun, angle grinder, drill, power tools or hammer things. i told him these things were essential also im trying to get it done in as quick a time as possible and im not doing it for fun i just want to get my car through its nct.

im not doing it for profit or running a back street garage from the property i just keep the two cars in the house hold going. since moving in approx 10 months ago there has been no complaints noise or otherwise and always pay rent on time.

on the other side of the coin the landlord never gives notice when going to turn up same if anyone coming to do work etc. they are renting out next door as an air bnb but there was no holiday makers there while i was working on my car my landlords wife was there cleaning the property and she told him i have been out there making noise all morning. (they have come as early as 8am on a sunday to clean or carry out work next door).

the holiday makers have often disturbed us and we never said anything altho it would most like fall on deaf ears.

also bear in mind i don't go out everyday making a racket! but i have to wonder now does my power washer fall in this category what else is to be considered if im outside with a radio on enjoying the sun? i can only assume all this is to do with the air bnb as when i was moving in i informed the landlord that i would from time to time be doing repairs to the cars and the said it was fine.

Although I imagine it depends on what is in your lease, it sounds like your landlord is being unreasonable. Especially as it's not a common occurrence and not at an unreasonable hour

He shouldn't be calling around to you unannounced either

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

Although I imagine it depends on what is in your lease, it sounds like your landlord is being unreasonable. Especially as it's not a common occurrence and not at an unreasonable hour

He shouldn't be calling around to you unannounced either

The lease i have is very basic and has no noise requirements set inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The landlord has no business telling you what tools you can use. If you are making too much noise to the inconvenience of neighbours there might be an issue. You should carry on as you are having due regard to the neighbours. You should also tell the landlord to stop being a bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The landlord has no business telling you what tools you can use. If you are making too much noise to the inconvenience of neighbours there might be an issue. You should carry on as you are having due regard to the neighbours. You should also tell the landlord to stop being a bully.

Bully?

Op, I have pretty much all the tools you listed, you know yourself they are loud, I suspect this was a short accross the bows in case fixing cars becomes a more regular thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

LL is out order and has no legal basis to tell you what he did.

Just ignore him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Does the landlord live nearby? Who alerted him to the noise in the first place, I'm wondering?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

3 hours at lunchtime on a Saturday. No problem here. Sure anywhere else you'd have people out with lawnmowers, strimmers, hedge cutters etc.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Does the landlord live nearby? Who alerted him to the noise in the first place, I'm wondering?

the landlord lives about 20/30 mins away, the landlords wife was next door cleaning the holiday let after the holiday makers left at around 11 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

the landlord lives about 20/30 mins away, the landlords wife was next door cleaning the holiday let after the holiday makers left at around 11 am.

if this was after hours id have a smart comment to make :o

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    3 hours at lunchtime on a Saturday. No problem here. Sure anywhere else you'd have people out with lawnmowers, strimmers, hedge cutters etc.

whats funny about your comment is there was two of our nearest neighbours were out gardening with a strimmer and ride on, one of them even had a compressor running long after i had finished with mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

whats funny about your comment is there was two of our nearest neighbours were out gardening with a strimmer and ride on, one of them even had a compressor running long after i had finished with mine.

Maybe you just got him on a bad day.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Maybe you just got him on a bad day.

maybe but i was around the back of property under my car, he came onto property and around to back of house to say all this to me. ive never had a LL do this and ive been renting places since 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Forward his details to Revenue and ask them to please audit his finances....I've a strong feeling that this Landlord will really appreciate this kind gesture as he's such a stickler for rules he would be horrified if he was under declaring his tax liabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

What amused me was the angle grinder on a car to prepare for an nct. What piece of s##t is the OP driving . Maybe its a mad max make over !! Seriously on a Saturday using all those tools . The LL was well within his rights to let you know its to much . Its a residential area not a garage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

We have construction noises from 7am to 5pm every day on four sides of our house currently. There's no law against making noise during the day, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭worded

What are the laws for noise, is there a DIY time limit in residential areas ?

What amused me was the angle grinder on a car to prepare for an nct. What piece of s##t is the OP driving . Maybe its a mad max make over !! Seriously on a Saturday using all those tools . The LL was well within his rights to let you know its to much . Its a residential area not a garage.

a bolt was damaged due to corrosion i had to cut it off took all of two minutes, i drive a toyota avensis if you must know? clearly a piece of sh1t one of the most popular cars in the country, i live in a rural area not a housing estate. i wasnt using all these tools constantly either.

And you are there over 10 years ?

Soujds like bully LL

worded wrote: »
    And you are there over 10 years ?

Soujds like bully LL

no, im here with just under a year, iv been renting with ten years my last place i was there 6 years and was never complained about and i had used my power tools there with no problem with the old LL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

He's out of order really, best to ignore him. Some landlords who own property feel that they own you and can tell you what you can or can't do because you're a renter. He shouldn't be calling at all without prior arrangement.

• Advertisement

Would you ever cop on, the LL was totally out of order and a person is entitled to use any tools they wish in a residential area once the work is for personal use.

A lawnmower or chain saw is as loud as most of these tools and is a more constant noise. Any construction would also be louder and this happens day in day out in residential areas.

I’d have told the LL to F off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Would you ever cop on, the LL was totally out of order and a person is entitled to use any tools they wish in a residential area once the work is for personal use.

A lawnmower or chain saw is as loud as most of these tools and is a more constant noise. Any construction would also be louder and this happens day in day out in residential areas.

I’d have told the LL to F off.

If you pass through this forum often enough you'll notice that there's a certain cohort of Landlords (usually they won't declare this so as to seem impartial) who make it their business to advocate for the rights of all of the Landlords of Ireland no matter what the context or circumstances are.

This means they will defend any landlords position against the truculent and mischievous accusations of the peasant classes. no matter how mean, sly, underhanded, dishonest or scheming this Landlord may be in any given situation.

Mango Joe wrote: »
    If you pass through this forum often enough you'll notice that there's a certain cohort of Landlords (usually they won't declare this so as to seem impartial) who make it their business to advocate for the rights of all of the Landlords of Ireland no matter what the context or circumstances are.

This means they will defend any landlords position against the truculent and mischievous accusations of the peasant classes. no matter how mean, sly, underhanded, dishonest or scheming this Landlord may be in any given situation.

+1

He is putting your in your place.
    Me LL you renter

Most sensible LL would be trying to keep their good long term tenants in place now as there are a lot more properties available for less I hear.

Consider your options and sorry to hear about you being upset, you have every right to be upset

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mango Joe wrote: »
    If you pass through this forum often enough you'll notice that there's a certain cohort of Landlords (usually they won't declare this so as to seem impartial)

Mod Note

I can tell you categorically, we have both landlords and tenants posting here.

It's no secret so please leave the soapbox aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I wouldn't give that one a second though OP. Sure in the last few months I've gutted 3 bedrooms so that's quite a few weekends with the chopsaw cutting flooring, skirting etc. Even yesterday I was out with the paint sprayer on some shelving and a kids bed. All done at a reasonable time of day - not too early or late, no neighbouring babies asleep etc. In your situation, I mightn't have told your LL to F off but I'd definitely be thinking it.

Now that I think of it, the power hose will be out soon enough too :D

Thanks for the support, it was stressful as i said it was a few hours on a Saturday and when the LL came i was buttoning up the last few nuts and bolts.

The main problem is i think is that they have started an air bnb next door and that is more important to them that they get good reviews ive had a look and they have a 4.75 rating. They have no bad reviews due to me and ive been just going about my normal buisness accept since they did start renting ive been more mindful of holiday makers, example i wont hoover early in the morning or run on my threadmill now, similar with power washer for cars tryed to make sure no holiday makers are next door before using same with any hammering or banging etc and this is before LL ever said anything to me.

Now my next thing is my LL has no boundaries, while doing up next door he has come in and taken our garden hose (not supplied by him) without asking while we were both at home.

Has wandered in on occasions to to get things and the bathroom window is around the back and not frosted and my OH was in tbe shower on one occasion and got a serious fright not expecting anyone to be out the back.

Anytime we have needed someting looked at we get no notice of when anyone is going to turn up plumber etc they just knock on the door.

The shower was broken wen we moved in and he fitted a second hand unit which was also faulty and we had that for 6 months because we didnt want to appear like problem tenants as we only get 6 month at a time leases.

I could go on but i dont know what to do really its awkward time to look for new accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

The shower was broken wen we moved in and he fitted a second hand unit which was also faulty and we had that for 6 months because we didnt want to appear like problem tenants as we only get 6 month at a time leases.

I could go on but i dont know what to do really its awkward time to look for new accommodation.

Ha ha, interesting. If you've been in over 6 months you have Part IV rights - his 6 month leases mean next to nothing. I think I know the answer but has the tenancy been registered with RTB?

Yes it is we both got letters from the prtb about that. I didnt realise the 6 month leases didnt matter thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 leocullensface

Sound of silence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

You now have the legal right to stay in the property for up to 6 years (from original start date).

Your LL's behaviour is completely unacceptable. (And I am one of the evil cohort LL, someone referenced above.)

Advertisement