Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boot Device not Found

Options
  • 11-08-2020 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

I tried to log into my husbands laptop yesterday, but this is what it said on the screen.

‘Boot Device not Found’

‘Please install an operating system on your hard drive’

He tried to fix it by googling instructions but to no avail. What should I do next?

Thanks in advance

Comments

The message is chillingly stark and to the point.... Anyone ever prepare an Emergency startup disk (Assuming Windows)? From the tone of your message I'd guess not.

If things really are bad then there are things like this which claims to be a bootable OS (not Windows) but you should be able to get to data files.

Not an endorsement of, or recommendation to use, that product - I have never used it (but have used similar), it's simply the first a quick search found

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I tried to log into my husbands laptop yesterday, but this is what it said on the screen.

‘Boot Device not Found’

‘Please install an operating system on your hard drive’

He tried to fix it by googling instructions but to no avail. What should I do next?

Thanks in advance
    Laptop make/model?

Remove ALL USB's, remove CD/DVD, restart
    Check BIOS/UEFI if disk recognized there, for boot order, legacy/secure boot options

Watch this or similar ... or bring it to repair shop

Advertisement