Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USG & Eir Fibre Issues

• 11-08-2020 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Hoping there might be some genius here that has a similar setup to myself and may be able to resolve a very frustrating issue I'm currently having.

So I have Eir Fibre with a static IP, have done since I moved into my home. Shortly after that, I installed a full Unifi network in my home, so Gen 1 cloud key, USG, 8port 150w switch etc.

Largely speaking, it's been great and a really nice project to work on and help me learn a better understanding of networking, firewalls, VPN etc.

However, 1 massive issue that I've had from the word go is my internet dropping off every 7-10 days. Everything is up, but my USG simply can't access the internet, and a restart of the USG always fixes the issue. After much to-ing and frow-ing with Unifi Support, trawling through endless exports of logs, we've finally got to the the point that they are saying this is an issue on my providers side.

From the logs they can see:

rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0xb3

Basically that Eir is terminating the PPPoE connection and there's nothing the USG can do about that. Obviously then restarting the USG either by pulling the power, or via the UniFi controller always fixes it.

So, has anyone else had a similar issue and if so, how have you been able to get around it and/or fix it? I'm working from home, so naturally if I forget to do a scheduled restart every 5 or 6 days, it nearly always goes offline at a bad time and causes me problems! Plus surely a pro grade firewall shouldn't behave like this!

All / any help much appreciated in advance.

Paul.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,610 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

This is my current settings in WAN of the USG

OxCOhZt.png

I have a static IP assigned to my broadband connection

I never have any disconnections on my UniFi Security Gateway.

3x things:

When these issues occur have you considered disconnecting the ONT from the USG and connecting directly to your computer/laptop configure PPPoE on your computer/laptop and see do you have the same issues

Have you logged the issue with your ISP?

Try a different router to rule the USG out?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

Headshot wrote: »
    This is my current settings in WAN of the USG

OxCOhZt.png

I have a static IP assigned to my broadband connection

I never have any disconnections on my UniFi Security Gateway.

3x things:

When these issues occur have you considered disconnecting the ONT from the USG and connecting directly to your computer/laptop configure PPPoE on your computer/laptop and see do you have the same issues

Have you logged the issue with your ISP?

Try a different router to rule the USG out?

Thank you for that reply Headshot.

So responses in order:

1. Yep my settings are identical to yours apart from using 1.1.1.1 as my DNS. Unlikely to be a factor I would have thought.

2. So in the past I've pulled it out and back in, but the USG remains offline until I restart it. But I haven't gone down the route of laptop connection as you've suggested as it normally happens at the worst possible time!

3. Was trying to avoid contacting Eir until I'd exhausted all other avenues!

4. No, my contacts with Unifi were lengthy and they assured me that the USG itself wasn't at fault (I guess of course they would) but the log message seemed to be quite clear that it's a ISP termination.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Not a fix per say but you if you don't resolve the problem you could consider getting one of those plug sockets with a timer and use it power cycle the ONT every evening at 4 am...not eloquent but it might work. I hope Eir can resolve it for you.

Not a fix per say but you if you don't resolve the problem you could consider getting one of those plug sockets with a timer and use it power cycle the ONT every evening at 4 am...not eloquent but it might work. I hope Eir can resolve it for you.

Cheers Static, yeah for sure that's an option alright - I just feel that it's a pretty silly error that someone should be able to fix as if I needed it to be 100% 'always on', then this would be totally unusable.

Will keep this thread updated as I go!

Cheers all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The USG should be redialing the RAS when the connection is terminated. There should be a config via the CLI to do this.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    The USG should be redialing the RAS when the connection is terminated. There should be a config via the CLI to do this.

Thank you for that. But should they be terminating in the first place?

Also, would you have any guidance on where I could find that redial option in the CLI?

Thank you.

P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I see your issue posted a few times by others on the Unifi forums and this poster added a cron job to the USG to fix.

https://community.ui.com/questions/Loop-in-PPPoE-log-when-PPPoE-connection-drops-daily-Log-always-LCP-ConfReq-id0x5/0971600d-1fdc-4447-8ec9-0906b02b191f

Wonder is there a setting in your eir modem you need to change?

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I see your issue posted a few times by others on the Unifi forums and this poster added a cron job to the USG to fix.

https://community.ui.com/questions/Loop-in-PPPoE-log-when-PPPoE-connection-drops-daily-Log-always-LCP-ConfReq-id0x5/0971600d-1fdc-4447-8ec9-0906b02b191f

Wonder is there a setting in your eir modem you need to change?

Yeah I have seen some of those, but was hoping to avoid having to get too heavy into that side of it if possible, with particular confidence coming from Headshot above given he seems to have the same setup as me and doesn't appear to need to do things like that.

So I don't have my Eir modem in the mix at all - I have a network cable coming directly from the Fibre unit into my USG, basically removed as much Eir equipment as possible.

So just as a follow up, I've spoken with Eir who have advised it's not on their end - surprise surprise!

Going back to UI support now to see if I can get anywhere, but I assume my only option really now is to add the Cron Job as outlined above?

P.

Advertisement