Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seattle defund police

Options
  • 11-08-2020 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

The first Black woman to hold the position of Chief of Police of the Seattle Police Department has been forced out of her job by the Seattle City Council.
    "Today’s news of the retirement of Chief Carmen Best is a loss," wrote a spokesperson for the organization Black Lives Matter Seattle-King County. "It does nothing to further our fight for authentic police accountability and the safety of Black lives, that the first Black woman to hold the position of Chief of Police of the Seattle Police Department has been forced out of her job by the Seattle City Council. Racism is racism. We demand the Seattle City Council stop prioritizing performative action that solely suggests the appearance of change. We demand transparency and accountability for the series of actions and inactions that led to Chief Best’s resignation. And we demand a successor that serves Black Lives."

Link

So the city council who defunded the police which lead Chief Best to resign were doing so with good intentions(they thought they were helping BLM?) yet this has been called racism by black lives matter.

I would have posted this in the George Floyd thread, but it's been shutdown because it ran it's course. I would have posted it in the Antifa thread but that has also been shutdown. It doesn't seem appropriate for the "BLM, or WLM" thread as that thread is framed as a debate of BLM vs WLM.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

What they should be campaigning for is...More money & services for the wider community, especially mental & physical health services

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Its the officers i actually feel sorry for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

2u2me wrote: »
    The first Black woman to hold the position of Chief of Police of the Seattle Police Department has been forced out of her job by the Seattle City Council.

So the city council who defunded the police which lead Chief Best to resign were doing so with good intentions(they thought they were helping BLM?) yet this has been called racism by black lives matter.

I would have posted this in the George Floyd thread, but it's been shutdown because it ran it's course. I would have posted it in the Antifa thread but that has also been shutdown. It doesn't seem appropriate for the "BLM, or WLM" thread as that thread is framed as a debate of BLM vs WLM.

Any chance that you could provide a link to the above story so I can read some professional reportage on the matter as well as your wholly objective analysis of what happened?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,555 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

George Floyd posts deleted. Stick to the topic or the thread will be closed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

It will be interesting to see if Seattle's crime rates plunge as much as Newark and Camden did, experiencing a 41% and 51% drop in crime, respectively.

It will also be interesting to see what develops from this as many appear to think that the real issue is the police union chief, who is apparently very fond of glorifying police violence and militarization which has plagued Seattle from the outset of these protests and played a notable role in their popularity in the US.

Here's his campaign ad (police vote fro their union chiefs), it gets pretty interesting at the 1 minute mark (bizarrely using footage from Kremlin propaganda outlet Ruptly of all places).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It will be interesting to see if Seattle's crime rates plunge as much as Newark and Camden did, experiencing a 41% and 51% drop in crime, respectively.

It will also be interesting to see what develops from this as many appear to think that the real issue is the police union chief, who is apparently very fond of glorifying police violence and militarization which has plagued Seattle from the outset of these protests and played a notable role in their popularity in the US.

Here's his campaign ad (police vote fro their union chiefs), it gets pretty interesting at the 1 minute mark (bizarrely using footage from Kremlin propaganda outlet Ruptly of all places).

They didn't defund the police in Camden, they moved all the contracts from the city to the county, let go a load of deadwood and hired more cheaper (also white) police officers....

Its the officers i actually feel sorry for!

Why?

They sit idly by and watch their colleagues acting the bollocks, if they're not acting the bollocks themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If defunding Seattle police will be anything like CHAZ it will be a major ****storm, on a grander scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

nwlocalpaper-defund-the-police-5-x-7-text.jpg

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,555 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Electing Feminist Lesbians into powerful positions is really working out well for the citizens of Seattle and Chicago!!!!
    Threadbanned

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Any chance that you could provide a link to the above story so I can read some professional reportage on the matter as well as your wholly objective analysis of what happened?

That would indeed be useful!

https://mynorthwest.com/2083086/city-council-expected-approve-cuts-spd/

https://komonews.com/news/local/chief-best-announces-retirement-from-police-department-after-city-council-approves-cuts

biko wrote: »
    If defunding Seattle police will be anything like CHAZ it will be a major ****storm, on a grander scale.

Instead of the police being called when a person is having a mental health episode and ending up six feet under, a mental health expert will be called to deal with the situation.

It will help avoid situations like CHAZ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Electing Feminist Lesbians into powerful positions is really working out well for the citizens of Seattle and Chicago!!!!

Naughty boy! Surely you're aware that thoughtcrime is a capital offence in these parts.

Why?

They sit idly by and watch their colleagues acting the bollocks, if they're not acting the bollocks themselves.

What percentage of the police force consists of these types of people?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Instead of the police being called when a person is having a mental health episode and ending up six feet under, a mental health expert will be called to deal with the situation.

It will help avoid situations like CHAZ.

who will then be murdered by the person with the mental health issue

good plan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I'm sure her resignation had nothing to do with the fact they cut her $285,000 a year salary. I wonder had her pension entitlements already kicked in at that higher rate?

The overall cuts are less than 1% of the police budget...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/isabeltogoh/2020/08/11/seattle-police-chief-announces-retirement-after-signing-off-on-100000-pay-cut-and-funding-cuts/#646e8ae67a56

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Instead of the police being called when a person is having a mental health episode and ending up six feet under, a mental health expert will be called to deal with the situation

When police are called and end up dealing with someone who is mentally unstable it is because the person is a serious danger to others or themselves. People don't call the cops when Auntie Nelly is having one of her breakdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

What a bunch of assholes. If they knew anything about history they would realise, that:

(a) all societies require policing in order to protect its citizens from bad fkers, and;

(b) that every far left experiment in liberating people from The Man led to oppression many times worse than what was being replaced.

It is amusing of course that the Democrats are falling out with one another over this.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I'm sure her resignation had nothing to do with the fact they cut her $285,000 a year salary. I wonder had her pension entitlements already kicked in at that higher rate?

The overall cuts are less than 1% of the police budget...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/isabeltogoh/2020/08/11/seattle-police-chief-announces-retirement-after-signing-off-on-100000-pay-cut-and-funding-cuts/#646e8ae67a56

From this link from Forbes,
    The Downtown Seattle Association hit back at the cuts to the police department, saying in a letter signed by local businesses and neighborhoods: “In defunding SPD, the council moved with speed and pettiness rather than with precision and thoughtfulness,” Reuters reports.

From the link I previously posted by black lives matter
    "It does nothing to further our fight for authentic police accountability and the safety of Black lives, that the first Black woman to hold the position of Chief of Police of the Seattle Police Department has been forced out of her job by the Seattle City Council.

What makes you more of an expert than these two groups?(Black lives matter & the downtown seattle association) or are you just muddying the waters?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Police are bad = defund the police.

Yeah ok. Way to get in new recruits so.

• Advertisement

When police are called and end up dealing with someone who is mentally unstable it is because the person is a serious danger to others or themselves. People don't call the cops when Auntie Nelly is having one of her breakdowns.

Many times they aren't mentally unstable or a danger to others.

Another issue is having cops dealing with students in schools. This is the kind of disgraceful behaviour you see from them.

https://twitter.com/JulianCastro/status/1292822519234215938?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

This is going to be the biggest ****show the world has seen and will all be blamed on Trump.

The new thinkers will refuse to admit being wrong. They will arm the mental health nurses and give them sirens for their cars rather than admit it.

The fact it will all end up privatised is even more rediculous. Mental health nurses with sirens and guns having a deadline and cranky boss. Nobody will care the republicans will blame the new thinking liberals and the liberals will say it happened under trumps watch. They will both sit happily back on the internet feeling like they were right.

Anybody with an IQ above 70 will sit back in total disbelief at it all but the rest of the people will be too busy watching Trump v Biden to even care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭satguy

All the Police Departments over there were starting to resemble stormtrooper squadrons ,, and less and less like the bobby on the street.

If you give cops armour and assault weapons, you turn cops into stormtroopers ..

Not Good ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

If there is repeated looting and rioting in Seattle until November, it is 'manna from heaven' for Donald Trump.

Of course Washington State and Illinois will always vote Democrat, but it could polarise opinions in places like Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Florida. Swing states.

From this link from Forbes,

From the link I previously posted by black lives matter

What makes you more of an expert than these two groups?(Black lives matter & the downtown seattle association) or are you just muddying the waters?

It is pretty obvious that the city has done what many other has and tried to find a middle ground that annoyed everybody.

Pretending a 1% cut in budget is some kind of armageddon is utter nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭stinkypinky

Lovely cartoon lads, let's all hold hands and crime will slowly dissipate.

tenor.gif

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    If there is repeated looting and rioting in Seattle until November, it is 'manna from heaven' for Donald Trump.

Of course Washington State and Illinois will always vote Democrat, but it could polarise opinions in places like Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Florida. Swing states.

I'd have concerns for the intelligence of someone that says 'Trump has shown no ability to stop riots/shootings over the last 4 years but I better vote for him'.

If he was the incumbent it would make sense but not when he has been sitting in the oval office the whole time

Why did the Police chief resign citing deflated morale? I don't know you're pulling your 1% from either.

Being finally held accountable for your actions tends to lower morale. For example, cops from surrounding areas of NYC are refusing to enter the city due to not being allowed choke people anymore.

The source of 1% is the Forbes article I linked earlier.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/isabeltogoh/2020/08/11/seattle-police-chief-announces-retirement-after-signing-off-on-100000-pay-cut-and-funding-cuts/#555297f87a56

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭stinkypinky

Foxtrol wrote: »
    It is pretty obvious that the city has done what many other has and tried to find a middle ground that annoyed everybody.

Pretending a 1% cut in budget is some kind of armageddon is utter nonsense

From what I see they plan to fire 100 of 1400 officers and decrease wages across the board, with a plan to defund more by 2021.

Truth of the matter is a radical left fringe have bullied the council and being the cowards they are they've bent over and complied. The overwhelming majority of people in the states does not want to see police departments defunded, even for things like suggested in the picture posted.

One outcome and one outcome only - more crime.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/64-americans-oppose-defund-police-movement-key-goals/story?id=71202300

64% of Americans oppose 'defund the police' movement, key goals: POLL

"Strong majorities of Americans oppose the movement to "defund the police" and some of its most significant goals, specifically reshuffling funding away from law enforcement to support mental health, housing and education programs, a new ABC News/Ipsos poll released Friday finds.

Nearly two-thirds of Americans oppose calls for defunding police departments, compared to 34% who back the movement, and 60% specifically oppose reducing the budget for police to reallocate it to other public health and social programs, while 39% support that move."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

They didn't defund the police in Camden, they moved all the contracts from the city to the county, let go a load of deadwood and hired more cheaper (also white) police officers....
    :pac:

Thanks for reminding me, Camden didn't just defund their department, they literally abolished it, and crime has plummeted in the years since. https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/06/12/camden-policing-reforms-313750

Thanks for helping show that lower budgets do not mean more crime.

Advertisement