Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 1030 and external battery

Options
  • 11-08-2020 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭

Does any know if you can use an external battery pack, like the ones you can get to charge a mobile phone with a Garmin 1030 while your using it? I know Garmin have the external battery pack themselves but the phone chargers are a lot cheaper!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

You can do that with a Garmin Edge 810. There is no reason in principle it shouldn’t work with the newer models, it’s just a voltage. If you have the Garmin unit already you can test it by powering it up, hitting the start button and then plugging it in to any charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It depends on the Garmin model. Some will reset if charged with an external charger (i.e. mid ride) unless a non-data transfer cable is used.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I use a power bank that my daughter bought for me in Pennys. It charges my Garmin 520 quickly. It's cheap to buy and certainly worth trying. One charge of the power bank will get me three or four Garmin charges and one iPhone 7 charge.

crosstownk wrote: »
    I use a power bank that my daughter bought for me in Pennys. It charges my Garmin 520 quickly....
    But have you used it mid-ride? Will it charge it without resetting the Garmin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

It depends on the Garmin model. Some will reset if charged with an external charger (i.e. mid ride) unless a non-data transfer cable is used.

Cheers for that, do you know if I start out with the garmin plugged in and then unplug once the external battery dies if that would make a difference? Apologies about the questions but I don't have an external battery pack to check. Probably as well off buying one and just seeing how it works

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Gomadic are excellent. No issues with data/ power elements of the cable.

https://amzn.to/2DKf5DN.

Note that a Garmin with a micro USB port will be much less trouble than a standard mini USB port. They are less prone to damage which usually means the port electronics becoming dislodged from the PCB. Tricky to solder back unless you have good soldering experience

Not sure if the 1030 has a mini or micro USB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

I just tried with a 530, started an activity then plugged in an external power supply from a battery pack, apart from an alert to tell me external power was connected/disconnected everything was as expected.

I think any edge device after the 500 is like that but only have the 530 to test

But have you used it mid-ride? Will it charge it without resetting the Garmin?

Yes. I’ve used it mid ride frequently without issue. I used it three times on Monday. The 520 continues to operate as normal while charging with the exception of the temperature which increase by a few degrees as unit warms slightly as the battery charges.

It’s quite possible that the 1030 is different and I’d be interested to know as I doubt I’d purchase a 1030 if it reset in that manner.

joey100 wrote: »
    Cheers for that, do you know if I start out with the garmin plugged in and then unplug once the external battery dies if that would make a difference? Apologies about the questions but I don't have an external battery pack to check. Probably as well off buying one and just seeing how it works
    That would be an unusual way to do it. I'd imagine the power pack would last a very long time. It might be messy on a wet day. Better to experiment on a non-descript ride first rather than spoiling a long ride.
    Biker79 wrote: »
    Gomadic are excellent. No issues with data/ power elements of the cable.

https://amzn.to/2DKf5DN.

Note that a Garmin with a micro USB port will be much less trouble than a standard mini USB port. They are less prone to damage which usually means the port electronics becoming dislodged from the PCB. Tricky to solder back unless you have good soldering experience

Not sure if the 1030 has a mini or micro USB.
    I use a Gomadic also. Never had any problem with them.
    crosstownk wrote: »
    Yes. I’ve used it mid ride frequently without issue. I used it three times on Monday. The 520 continues to operate as normal while charging....
    That's good to know. (Your battery must be deteriorating if you had to use it 3 times - most are good for up to around 250k with alerts and light off. Perhaps you were using the route guidance?)

I should have added that the Gomadic uses 4xAA batteries so in the unlikely event it loses power, you can stop at a shop and refuel it - no need to charge in advance.

• Advertisement

That's good to know. (Your battery must be deteriorating if you had to use it 3 times - most are good for up to around 250k with alerts and light off. Perhaps you were using the route guidance?)

I was using the route guidance which does drain the battery a bit quicker.

The battery life has been poor with my unit for last couple of years. I’d get max 130 km from it on a warm day. On cold days it’s woeful - 60km.

I’ve lights and alerts off and brightness down to 10%.

I’ll be replacing it later in the year and will strongly consider a Wahoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

The 1030 has a mico USB port, so well configured to use with the Gomadic.

Although...I much prefer the Wahoo Element. Gomadic also work with these. Once you match the voltage requirements, they are interchangeable between makes/ models.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

My 1030 would only be 40 or 50% used after a 130km spin, you can get the official 1030 ext battery pack that plug under the 1030.

Advertisement