Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who didnt vote for the Good Friday Agreement?

Options
  • 11-08-2020 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭

Just watching Reeling in the Years and they covered the referendum for the Good Friday Agreement in 1998.

94% of voters in the south voted in favour. Who was the 6% who voted no? Was there any politicians or public figures campaigning against it at the time and if so what were their viewpoints?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Me, I was too young at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Most who opposed it were republicans. I seem to recall that former FF minister Kevin Boland voted against?

Also the Irish National Congress which opposed on grounds of ditching of Articles 2 and 3. Finian McGrath was member.

In hindsight, it made no difference to constitutional position, so they had a point. Anyone arguing against it was about as popular as a fart in a space suit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

I think the real question is, why did 28.9% of the voters in the country of Northern Ireland where 99% of the violence was happening vote against the agreement ?

Didn't affect 98% of the population in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

statesaver wrote: »
    I think the real question is, why did 28.9% of the voters in the country of Northern Ireland where 99% of the violence was happening vote against the agreement ?

Of course it did, that's a bonkers statement. Did you grow up during the Troubles?

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Of course it did, that's a bonkers statement. Did you grow up during the Troubles?

Yes I did. Terrorism in Northern Ireland did not affect the vast majority here outside of the Dublin Monaghan bombings.

The majority here were not affected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

They got this all screwed up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just watching Reeling in the Years and they covered the referendum for the Good Friday Agreement in 1998.

94% of voters in the south voted in favour. Who was the 6% who voted no? Was there any politicians or public figures campaigning against it at the time and if so what were their viewpoints?

I think there were some hardcore republican who saw the removal of the our claim to the 6 counties from the constitution as a major sticking point.

joe40 wrote: »
    I think there were some hardcore republican who saw the removal of the our claim to the 6 counties from the constitution as a major sticking point.

Republican Sinn Fein

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

statesaver wrote: »

The No vote in NI was on the assumption that they could continue the status quo and somehow deal with the violence via the same methods that had been so exceptionally successful since the late 60s.

For a subset there, any change from direct Westminster rule is unacceptable as it becomes an implicit recognition that they're not just part of the UK. They were OK with Stormont when it was gerrymandered, and with the local authorities not having universal suffrage.

Down here, the IRSP - the political wing of the INLA - opposed it. Don't know if any other party that has had representatives did so (it hasn't had representatives for a long time)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The “good republicans”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

I voted against it.

The idea of voting in favour of freeing the terrorist vermin convicted of some of the most evil and depraved actions ever to have taken place on these islands stuck in my craw. And that was long before any of us became aware of the signed "get out of jail free" letters that war criminal Bliar had given to the IRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Muahahaha wrote: »

I voted for it. The ones that didn't were doubtless hard core republicans and the like.

Only real difference GFA made was to reconstitute Stormont except with Catholic power sharing rather than majority rule.

It made no difference to the constitutional position of the north so those who opposed it on non violent republican grounds were within their rights.

It was actually rather amusing to see those who the shinners had used in the campaign to "Save Articles 2 and 3" being unceremoniously dumped once Adams had decided that they would go for a partitionist solution with them on verge of becoming the main Catholic party.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Orange order

I voted against it.

The idea of voting in favour of freeing the terrorist vermin convicted of some of the most evil and depraved actions ever to have taken place on these islands stuck in my craw. And that was long before any of us became aware of the signed "get out of jail free" letters that war criminal Bliar had given to the IRA.

You clapped for Michael Stone on the Late Late show?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

The people who voted against it in the north would have mostly been unionists. Many were strongly opposed to any deal with the IRA, or even to any form of power sharing with nationalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I voted against it.

It was a bribe to get a permanent ceasefire. Probably wasn't any easier way to get one at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Mostly Unionists voted against it. A lot of Unionists, and a few oddballs in the south, would have sacrificed every last British soldier, and pound in Her Majesty's Treasury, rather than have a Fenian about the place.

They must be absolutely twisted with bitterness at the rise of SF while the British/DUP have undone the decades long project in the south to demonise Republicanism and rehabilitate the British state in the Irish public consciousness.

They must be absolutely twisted with bitterness at the rise of SF while the British/DUP have undone the decades long project in the south to demonise Republicanism and rehabilitate the British state in the Irish public consciousness.

Not in the least. As a homeowner with a septic tank in my garden, I am well aware that, given enough time, crap will always float to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Most of the loony left parties at the time opposed it in the Republic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

There was a cohort of Nationalists here who believed that by amending articles 2 and 3 that they were giving up on a united Ireland.

That removing the stated aspiration of a 32 county whole island Ireland was the abandonment of one of the founding tenets of the nation.

I knew quite a few who campaigned and voted against the amendments.
    They were wrong then, and it's borne out in the changing society of Ireland.

The removal of those articles didn't diminish Ireland, and it removed an implied threat that our nation made to those of the unionist tradition.

It was a simple change that has allowed the GFA and the peace process to in the main, flourish.

My biggest fear for Ireland is that political showboating in N.I by the new generation of political leaders is leading to new polarization.
    Too many have grown forgetful of where polarization led the north for far too long.

The worrying thing about the children of peace, is that sometimes they only the good times.
    The sacrifice and efforts made for that peace can all too easily be forgotten.
    Masked by platitudes and reminiscing, rather than treasured for what it saved and what it cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

Bonniedog wrote: »

It was actually rather amusing to see those who the shinners had used in the campaign to "Save Articles 2 and 3" being unceremoniously dumped once Adams had decided that they would go for a partitionist solution with them on verge of becoming the main Catholic party.

What's wrong with this! It's called negotiating, you where you have to give aswell as benefit. Nothing amusing about that

L1011 wrote: »
    It was a bribe to get a permanent ceasefire. Probably wasn't any easier way to get one at the time.

Absolutely.

However, I found myself wholly unable to embrace the moral ambivalence that was required to support certain aspects of the GFA.

By county

https://www.ark.ac.uk/elections/fref98.htm

Kerry had the highest No

kingbhome wrote: »
    What's wrong with this! It's called negotiating, you where you have to give aswell as benefit. Nothing amusing about that

They surrendered. If that's your idea of negotiating!

Long gone past caring, and supported the ceasefire on basis that armed struggle was never going to bring about a united Ireland.

Neither will GFA, but at least there's one being killed or killing for no reason any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

https://youtu.be/KEq3c0nbkkg

I think it is fair to say Ruth Patterson of the DUP wasn't a supporter of the GFA

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I was in Australia, but would have voted yes if I was home

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Was three months before I was born

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

By county

https://www.ark.ac.uk/elections/fref98.htm

Kerry had the highest No

Thats interesting. Kerry North the highest No (7.21%) and Cork East the lowest no (3.66%). Not much between the all of the southern counties though, everyone was on the same page really.

- Yes No Total 94.39 5.61 Cork East 96.34 3.66 Dun Laoghaire 95.8 4.2 Dublin South 95.75 4.25 Dublin North 95.72 4.28 Kildare North 95.44 4.56 Galway East 95.43 4.57 Dublin South-East 95.26 4.74 Mayo 94.95 5.05 Meath 94.92 5.08 Galway West 94.74 5.26 Carlow-Kilkenny 94.72 5.28 Dublin West 94.68 5.32 Dublin North-Central 94.54 5.46 Dublin North-East 94.54 5.46 Kildare South 94.41 5.59 Clare 94.4 5.6 Sligo-Leitrim 94.4 5.6 Limerick West 94.32 5.68 Longford-Roscommon 94.32 5.68 Waterford 94.28 5.72 Tipperary South 94.22 5.78 Limerick East 94.19 5.81 Westmeath 94.12 5.88 Wicklow 94.11 5.89 Cork South-West 94.1 5.9 Dublin South-West 94.02 5.98 Dublin Central 93.99 6.01 Louth 93.98 6.02 Laoighis-Offaly 93.97 6.03 Cork South-Central 93.95 6.05 Tipperary North 93.92 6.08 Cork North-West 93.87 6.13 Donegal South-West 93.87 6.13 Kerry South 93.82 6.18 Dublin North-West 93.78 6.22 Dublin South-Central 93.63 6.37 Cavan-Monaghan 93.59 6.41 Wexford 93.28 6.72 Donegal North-East 93.05 6.95 Cork North-Central 92.79 7.21 Kerry North 92.79 7.21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Was too young to vote.

Advertisement