Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chromecast question

Options
  • 11-08-2020 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Mods, please move to a more suitable forum if appropriate.

I have a Chromecast dongle plugged into my (10 year old, Finlux) tv that I use to watch Netflix, cast to the tv from my laptop. However, I have an issue in that I cannot stop or pause what I'm casting to the tv should I want to.

For instance, I was watching an episode of a Netflix series cast to the tv, my phone rang and I was unable to pause the episode on the tv by pressing pause on my laptop - the episode kept playing, and in fact the next episode after that is currently playing away on hdmi2, the Chromecast 'station' on the tv, even though I have completely closed the Netflix tab on my laptop and switched back to hdmi1. I can't stop it. I even tried pressing the 'pause' button on my Sky remote even though I knew it wouldn't help :)

This has been an issue for a while - I genuinely can't remember if it's always been the case as I'm not a huge Netflixer - but it's only bothering me now. I would like to be able to pause or stop a film or episode. Any options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

You should be able to control the playback from the app where you started casting from, as long as the devices are on the same local WiFi.
    I used to have a similar issue, but I fixed it with a workaround: having the Chromecast plugged into the TV USB for power, I would simply turn off the TV, which would also cut power to the Chromecast. Of course, this would be an "emergency stop", as opposed to something done regularly. When I continued watching, it would resume from a spot not long before the place where I cut the power, and never later than that.

I have to admit that my two Chromecast devices are now sitting in a drawer, as I moved to much better options (Smart TV, and XBox One with Netflix app).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Thanks for the reply, I'll try that later and see how it goes! At least it's something :)

Advertisement