Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Critérium du Dauphiné (Spoilers galore!)

Options
  • 11-08-2020 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭

Thought this deserved its own thread

Official Website: https://www.criterium-du-dauphine.fr/en/

Pretty much every big name in this one and a seriously loaded Ineos and Jumbo Visma teams so looks good. Stage 1 tomorrow and a 4th category hill finish so will be very interest to see the teams with multiple leaders deal with this one!

5 stages and no time trials. With everyone looking at the big teams my money is on Quintana doing well and maybe taking top spot.

Comments

I'd say Froome will be glad of no TT with what happened to him there last year. No time for the man but I'd feel for him coming back to a race where he go so badly hurt last year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'd say Froome will be glad of no TT with what happened to him there last year. No time for the man but I'd feel for him coming back to a race where he go so badly hurt last year.

His form is so bad that unless he wheelies up the cat 4 climb and solo to victory is time at Sky is over.

godtabh wrote: »
    His form is so bad that unless he wheelies up the cat 4 climb and solo to victory is time at Sky is over.

I need to find the segment but I think he actually took a Strava KOM on Col de la Biche at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I think he's nowhere near where he was a couple of years ago but it's too soon to completely write him off. He put in a fairly savage turn at the front for Bernal on one of the stages of the Route D'Occitaine last week, he definitely has something to offer

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

Not a fan either but feel Froome is only testing himself at the moment. He was dropped the last day out but only after putting in savage work for Bernal. I’d say he was fairly pleased with himself as he even posted the stage on Strava to show off his power output.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I need to find the segment but I think he actually took a Strava KOM on Col de la Biche at the weekend.

cant say I've ridden many climbs in france but the Col de la Biche was tough

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Live TV coverage has started :)

4 riders have abandoned already

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

For me, it's his mentality that I'd question rather than his numbers. 2012 and 2018 showed, for me, he's at best a reluctant domestique. Numbers, helping Bernal etc all about getting to the start line, after that, all bets are off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Macy0161 wrote: »
    For me, it's his mentality that I'd question rather than his numbers. 2012 and 2018 showed, for me, he's at best a reluctant domestique. Numbers, helping Bernal etc all about getting to the start line, after that, all bets are off.

If Froome ever gets back to 100% he's arguably the strongest rider in the peleton. He could put minutes into Bernal on the TT. I doubt he will but it could be great entertainment

• Advertisement

8 km to go. It should be an exciting finish

WvA wins.

Not the most exciting finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

WvA wins.

Not the most exciting finish.

Was Dan in the bunch? I thought I spotted him about half way down?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Inquitus wrote: »
    Was Dan in the bunch? I thought I spotted him about half way down?

looked 6th but they didn't show a top 10.

If it was him he looked to be in the wrong gear at the start of the sprint.

edit:

no that was Lutsenko for Astana - Kazhak champs jersey is similar

top 10
    https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/criterium-du-dauphine-2020/stage-1/results/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Procyclingstats have Dan in 21st
    Froome lost over 5mins

Nico finished 35th... I hadn't realised he was taking part. I suppose it makes sense since he is going to le Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Watched it this morning - kinda wondering are Ineos bluffing? JV dominant.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

anyone having issues with the eurosport player? I cant get into it on android. have uninstalled and reinstalled but just keep a red circle going round and round on the login page

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Jesus fcukin Christ I forgot how bad Eurosport was for ad breaks!!! :mad::mad:

Anyone else lost TV coverage now? Black screen on both eurosport channels on Virgin

Edit back now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

fat bloke wrote: »
    Anyone else lost TV coverage now? Black screen on both eurosport channels on Virgin

Yes no satellite signal for a few mins ,back now .
    Looking forward to the final climb today .

Noooo!! :(

Poor Dan caught up in the crash, doesn't look great :(

Un-signposted street furniture

Coming up on the final climb 17.5km @ 6.2%. It contains a descent so the Avg uphill is probably in the 7%-8% range!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Looks like a good last 5km coming up.

Is Alaphilippe looking a little leaner than usual?

Is Alaphilippe looking a little leaner than usual?

Yes! Proper skeletal. Didn't stop him being dropped though!

Froome moved up to 2nd in line, then went backwards when he was due to take over.

• Advertisement

Ineos turning themselves inside out and the JV lads along for the ride looking relatively comfortable, Kuss especially.

Advertisement