Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing linked smoke alarms..suggestions?

Options
  • 12-08-2020 9:44am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So we got a new build in 2008 and was doing some painting recently and noted the expiry date on the smoke alarms, we have 3x smoke alarms and 1x heat alarm all linked and wired for power with the standard 9v backup battery.

My understanding is building regs require that these are linked and that if one goes off they all must go off including the heat alarm.

I've been looking at replacements but my obviously for any future potential insurance claim I want to make sure everything is in order.

I looked at the Google Nest Protect alarms but my understanding is that due to a non-serpate heat alarm these wouldn't comply with irish regulations? Perhaps I'm wrong. They would otherwise be linked (the 3x smoke alarms anyway) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nest-Protect-Generation-Monoxide-Battery/dp/B00ZC5F9W2/

So instead I looked at this FireAngel set - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08DPQH9R4/ they are linked but they are not mains power, just a 10 year battery.

I'm I right in thinking the fireangel set would comply with Irish regs even though its not mains wired or is there anyway to get the existing heat alarm to go off when the nest protect is they are all mains wired?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I am open to correction but my understanding is that the smoke and heat detectors need mains supply in addition to battery back up to meet the requirements.

However regardless of this in my opinion battery only detectors should be avoided for obvious reasons.

I have the Nest detectors and am very happy with them. It is unfortunate that they can not offer a heat detector.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I should also add that CO detection is very important too as this is an odorless, invisible and deadly gas. The Nest smoke detectors are also CO detectors. In many cases I feel this presents a bigger risk. Such a pity Nest limit themselves by not producing a heat detector :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

CO is something I'm certainly factoring in as I do have a stove in the living room so I was going to add a seperate fireangel CO detector there that is interlinked to the smoke alarm system...thats if I got that brand.

Of course on the plus with Nest is they do CO by default, I already have a Nest themerostat so would be useful to stay in that ecosystem rather then getting yet another app. But it does come at a higher cost of course.

You mention you have nest, but what did you do for the kitchen when it came to the heat detector given they don't do one?

Look at the EI range.
    Sold as Aico in the UK (amazon etc)
    Made in Ireland and highly regarded.
    You could get 3 EI for the price of one nest!

Wifi smokes are a waste of money imo, I'd rather have more detectors.

You could get 3 EI for the price of one nest!

You need to compare like with like. Remember each Nest is 2 detectors in one unit (carbon monoxide and smoke) as well as an emergency light.

So Ask yourself what would these three units cost if purchased separately?
    More than €120 I would think!

Also the Nest tells you (it speaks!) what room a detector is going off in and the nature of the alarm. Although this speaking feature may seem like a gimmick it is handy for CO alarms as you don’t want to enter a room full of a poisonous gas.
    In addition these devices display status in a free app including self test history.

• Advertisement

How did we live before speaking smoke alarms I'll never know :confused:

How did we live before speaking smoke alarms I'll never know :confused:

...and internet but we wouldn’t live without now :)

2011 wrote: »
    ...and internet but we wouldn’t live without now :)

Yes the talking smoke alarm is right up there with the internet.

OP here is link to a set.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N186JN4?pf_rd_r=EV87GNR1PQFEEXE76HKH&pf_rd_p=e632fea2-678f-4848-9a97-bcecda59cb4e

You should take one down and see if they are wired in 4 core cable .
    Live,Neutral,Earth and Interconnect (Marked IC and usually black).
    Is it possible the current set is not link ?
    -edit I see they are so thats good !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

I only use Ei Electronics products. I wouldn't entertain Nest as they don't have a heat detector.

Ei are manufactured in this country (Shannon, Co. Clare) so that's another bonus. They are the market leader for domestic detection and are very reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭kub

Risteard81 wrote: »
    I only use Ei Electronics products. I wouldn't entertain Nest as they don't have a heat detector.

Ei are manufactured in this country (Shannon, Co. Clare) so that's another bonus. They are the market leader for domestic detection and are very reliable.

Coming from the Security Systems realm I have to agree, I have been using these for the last 30 years, I regard them as the best on the market.

They also offer an end of line Interconnect unit which has a dry contact output on it that can be hooked up to 3rd party notification devices such as Intruder Alarm systems and their notification devices.

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »
    Coming from the Security Systems realm I have to agree, I have been using these for the last 30 years, I regard them as the best on the market.

It didn’t occur to me that alarm installers put these in. Do you install many??

They also offer an end of line Interconnect unit which has a dry contact output on it that can be hooked up to 3rd party notification devices such as Intruder Alarm systems and their notification devices.

I like the idea of a dry contact. I see they do CO detectors too.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Also note if its to detect someone smoking most standard smoke detectors dont detect low levels of cigarete smoke/ I have one in my lodgers room (active and not covered) and I know he smokes out/near the window as I can smell the smoke coming through skirting board and under door quite strong to my room yet the alarm doesnt activate. Yet if I burn toast the hall and landing smoke alarm goes off:o

2011 wrote: »
    It didn’t occur to me that alarm installers put these in. Do you install many??

I like the idea of a dry contact. I see they do CO detectors too.

I have the dry contact set up in my house.
    It pulls in a Contactor that turns on the kitchen + hall lights.
    I also have the Ei1529RC

ei529rc-SYSTEM-ADD-ONS-34-1024x1024-600x600.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I recently put in the E&I smokes as I was getting some work done in the house and it was practical to install them. I put in the dry contact base and whilst I haven’t had it connected to the house alarm yet it’s a good idea And very easy to do.

salmocab wrote: »
    I recently put in the E&I smokes as I was getting some work done in the house and it was practical to install them. I put in the dry contact base and whilst I haven’t had it connected to the house alarm yet it’s a good idea And very easy to do.

There are two bases available a relay base and the input base.
    The relay can fire an external device on activation ,
    The input can fire the alarms on closure (output from burglar alarm etc)

Advertisement