Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Switch rifle barrels

• 12-08-2020 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭

A question lads. If I have a licence for two identical switch barrel rifles in different calibers would it be ok to switch the barrels over from one to the other. Thanks .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

If they are the same caliber then i dont see why not otherwise no.
    what rifle is it though because unless its something like a savage with the adjuster ring for setting the headspace properly it more than likely would be unsafe to do so even if they seem to fit.
    Get a set of headspace gauges to make sure its safe. Even with the likes of Blaser who proclaim to be able to switch barrels out etc if you check them alot of them are out of spec when you change the barrel or bolt head, most of the time they are fine but not always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭Bushwack

They are airrifles. It's just a matter of switching the barrel and switching the probes. No gunsmthing needed. The reason I would want to do such a thing is that i want to shoot slugs and the trigger unit on the one rifle is an early unit and won't handle the extra hammer spring tention to power up the slugs. Is it acceptable or possible to leave the rifles in a rfd and have the rifle calibers switched and the licence calibers switched and applied for in the usual way. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

If they're different calibers you need a change of licence
    For example i have a 6.5x55 with a 26" Lilja barrel and a 20" tikka lite barrel i can get those swapped no issue as its the same caliber;)
    However if i put a .308 barrel on id need a change of licence

So if one rifle is .22 and the other is .25 I can get the licence changed so I can switch the calibers over.

Bushwack wrote: »
    So if one rifle is .22 and the other is .25 I can get the licence changed so I can switch the calibers over.

yeah you can leave them into a dealers get a substitution put a letter in explaining why you're changing barrels you should be grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I think if you have two different barrels of different calibre, you need two different licences. E.g. if you plan to swap the barrels around and keep both guns.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I think if you have two different barrels of different calibre, you need two different licences. E.g. if you plan to swap the barrels around and keep both guns.

Yes,I have a licence for each caliber.

yeah you can leave them into a dealers get a substitution put a letter in explaining why you're changing barrels you should be grand

Sound,thanks for that.Thanks lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Sound,thanks for that.Thanks lads.

I think you actually need two substitutions. You are changing the calibre on both guns so it's two calibre changes, therefore two substitutions.

I think you actually need two substitutions. You are changing the calibre on both guns so it's two calibre changes, therefore two substitutions.

That sounds about right,I would think your spot on. Just once it can be done ,that's all.

• Advertisement

Sorry yes thats what i meant he'd need to substitute both rifles:pac:
    IE sub the 17 as a 22 and then the 22 as a 17 as an example:p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Have you considered getting both licensed in the other caliber. So you'd have four licenses for "two" rifles.

To elaborate say the serial number of the .22 caliber rifle is "12345". You already have the license for this as a 22 with its accompanying barrel.

Now say the serial number of the .25 rifle is "678910" and you already have the license for it and its accompanying barrel.

Well simply license the .22 barrel on rifle serial number "678910" AS WELL as keeping your original license and then do the same for the .22 caliber by licensing the .25 barrel on the rifle with serial number "12345".

Does that make sense?

It means you would have the .22 caliber barrel licensed on the serial number of both rifles and the .25 caliber barrel licensed on both rifles.

It means an additional €160 in license fees every three years.

I only suggest it as it means you can keep both rifles in any configuration you wish in the future whereas if you decide to change the barrels back after doing a substitution on both then it means doing another substitution again.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

I understand what your saying and it's another option to put some thought in to. I know once their changed their is no going back. Thanks.

Advertisement