Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aaron Brady Guilty as charged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

deisedevil wrote: »
    He can appeal it. The evidence used to convict him is incredibly weak and now theres rumours of witnesses being coerced into giving statements.

I really hope they have the right scumbag behind bars for it and I hope if they do he doesn't manage to get it overturned on an appeal.

The evidence cannot be appealed though, so the reality is that to has to be on a point of law or incorrect direction to the jury etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

deisedevil wrote: »
    He can appeal it. The evidence used to convict him is incredibly weak and now theres rumours of witnesses being coerced into giving statements.

Complaining about the evidence isn’t grounds for appeal - unless you have new evidence that calls some of the original evidence into question. The issue about the Homeland Security Agent and the statement was already brought up in the trial, so again can’t be grounds for appeal.

An appeal has to be based on new evidence or a legal error in the trial. You can’t just say that the jury shouldn’t have made the decision they did based on the evidence they heard, so let’s have another go. If the evidence was weak, the trial was the time to convince the jury of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

This is not reasonable, you had the same crap stated about Mickey Harte.

If someone asks me for a reference then I provide a factual reference stating the things that I know about, that is my duty to the court. It is not my duty to alter the facts of different events because I think you did a bad thing, quite the opposite. Tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth and let the court decide.

Nah, If you think someone is a scumbag you don't provide anything in this situation.

He obviously wasn't someone who just stole crisps from the local shop when he was 12 and is something that should be forgotten.

He was a dirty scumbag that shouldn't be given a reference by anyone of standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Even if he wasn't convicted of the murder he deserves ten years for being guilty of stupidity.
    A low life who wanted to be Mr Big.
    He wouldn't last six months in any of the Dublin gangs

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭MrSanchez

I think we can safely read between the lines and the reality that diesel laundering around the border is the remit of certain groups[/quote]

Very strange the media never mentioned or named him as being g a republican or with links to the provos or dissidents If thats the case, if he is linked to them will he be sent to a republican landing in portlaoise yeah? His dad being the chairman of Crossmaglen certainly doesn’t look good from the outside either

• Advertisement

Garda Donohoe is never coming back is he? and his family will suffer his loss forever.

Good to see the jury were not intimidated and gave the correct verdict. I am so proud of them and will not question their deliberations.

Those who do might have issues/connections/etc.

But no one cares about that, least of all the judicial system. Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

The evidence cannot be appealed though, so the reality is that to has to be on a point of law or incorrect direction to the jury etc..

It will (imo) be appealed over the one that was giving evidence from the US and was interrupted by someone. And possibly the disallowed stuff regarding the alleged behaviour of the US law enforcement

MrSanchez wrote: »
    I think we can safely read between the lines and the reality that diesel laundering around the border is the remit of certain groups

Very strange the media never mentioned or named him as being g a republican or with links to the provos or dissidents If thats the case, if he is linked to them will he be sent to a republican landing in portlaoise yeah? His dad being the chairman of Crossmaglen certainly doesn’t look good from the outside either

Ah I see, your gonna just play dumb and pretend that it's not.

Papers do need a certain level of proof, they can be sued ya know. It's pretty obvious from the article that they are saying much

• Registered Users Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Prime Time doc was good & very sad.

I'd love to know what happened to Aaron Brady for him to arrive at being a killer. A Garda killer at that. I find it a bid strange, being from Dublin anyone I knew that turned out a criminal were usually from a pretty deprived background. Bad parenting, unemployment, drugs and poverty would have had a big impact on the choice of 'career'. But Brady seems to be from a pretty average background.

How does someone like that begin to joyride stolen cars in small rural towns (and properly joyride, ramming other cars and causing mayhem) and manage to have four like minded friends that would be willing to carry out an armed robbery?

PCeeeee wrote: »
    It will (imo) be appealed over the one that was giving evidence from the US and was interrupted by someone. And possibly the disallowed stuff regarding the alleged behaviour of the US law enforcement

Did you follow the trial for over 100 days straight? I didn't, but I respect the jury verdict.

This will go nowhere. And most people know it.

Apart from the appeal lawyers who are rubbing their hands together now.

• Advertisement

TBH if there was a smack of dissidents involved in this, I think the trial would hae been held in the SCC where there is no jury.

The fact that it was conducted in the Central Criminal Court says to me that the defendant was not associated and the jury would not be intimidated.

But then BAM, we hear of witness intimidation. Guts required dealing with these people all the same.

Fair play to the jury. IMO they should be in another room, anonymous and see the trial over CCTV. Maybe that happened here due to Covid who knows.

Jury were brave. And gave the correct verdict.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,317 ✭✭✭pgj2015

John_Rambo wrote: »

I'd love to know what happened to Aaron Brady for him to arrive at being a killer. A Garda killer at that. I find it a bid strange, being from Dublin anyone I knew that turned out a criminal were usually from a pretty deprived background. Bad parenting, unemployment, drugs and poverty would have had a big impact on the choice of 'career'. But Brady seems to be from a pretty average background.

How does someone like that begin to joyride stolen cars in small rural towns (and properly joyride, ramming other cars and causing mayhem) and manage to have four like minded friends that would be willing to carry out an armed robbery?

Some people are just bad, there is an Aaron Brady in every town in Ireland. from my experiences with guys like that, they are very insecure about themselves and act this way to prove they are not. Bullys, usually dim like Aaron was and hated by the majority of the people in the locality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Did you follow the trial for over 100 days straight? I didn't, but I respect the jury verdict.

This will go nowhere. And most people know it.

Apart from the appeal lawyers who are rubbing their hands together now.

They didn't say they disagreed with the jurys verdict. But that there seems to be some issues with the very weak to begin with evidence on which he was convicted. I have to say I was very disappointed there wasnt anything more substantial against him. I was worried he wouldnt be convicted. Something still seems a bit off with the witness statements.

TBH if there was a smack of dissidents involved in this, I think the trial would hae been held in the SCC where there is no jury.

The fact that it was conducted in the Central Criminal Court says to me that the defendant was not associated and the jury would not be intimidated.

But then BAM, we hear of witness intimidation. Guts required dealing with these people all the same.

Fair play to the jury. IMO they should be in another room, anonymous and see the trial over CCTV. Maybe that happened here due to Covid who knows.

Jury were brave. And gave the correct verdict.

The witnesses were the brave ones I think. fair play to them.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    The witnesses were the brave ones I think. fair play to them.

Totally agree, and should have said that.

Some people are just bad, there is an Aaron Brady in every town in Ireland. from my experiences with guys like that, they are very insecure about themselves and act this way to prove they are not. Bullys, usually dim like Aaron was and hated by the majority of the people in the locality.

Right, & thanks for the insight, I did get the impression he's a bit of a dimwit & extremely immature. I didn't mean to put forward an impressing that it's normal for someone from that area to be involved in crime. But to gather four other people from his peer group to involve themselves in such a venture is mad to me.

His actions from the joyriding incident all the way through the murder and the following incidents in America really scream of someone that hasn't a grasp on reality and displays a shocking & selfish lack of regard for anyones lives & is centred around his own fragile ego. What the hell happened? (Rhetorical question, I don't think anyone has an answer)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Brady wasn’t right in the head , he looks a weirdo in most of the pictures.
    silly girls getting tied up with that scum and one of them having his brat that he’ll never see .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Did the gang know the Gardaí would be there that night?

Silky move if they did.

Right, & thanks for the insight, I did get the impression he's a bit of a dimwit & extremely immature. I didn't mean to put forward an impressing that it's normal for someone from that area to be involved in crime. But to gather four other people from his peer group to involve themselves in such a venture is mad to me.

His actions from the joyriding incident all the way through the murder and the following incidents in America really scream of someone that hasn't a grasp on reality and displays a shocking & selfish lack of regard for anyones lives & is centred around his own fragile ego. What the hell happened? (Rhetorical question, I don't think anyone has an answer)

The incident where he was ramming taxis and garda cars was mad, like what had he to gain from doing that? it was so stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Probably not a whole lot of respect for law and order in South Armagh that has spilled over into the Republic.

Troubles offspring growing up with dissent towards law enforcement, having not lived through a whole lot of turmoil themselves, and just hearing local stories. I know Crossmaglen had an extremely bad time of it.

Also, is being bad being mixed up with a confident persona when it comes to partners. This lad was obviously dodgy as fook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

The incident where he was ramming taxis and garda cars was mad, like what had he to gain from doing that? it was so stupid.

But he was a great gaa player though..... a lovely fella from south Armagh.... reliable and trustworthy, and a very promising Gaa player. Works in the diesel aand car industry. I have no problem giving this man a glowing reference. ..... weird.

Yeah, insane, what the hell was he thinking? Something similar happened in my area and there were helicopters and armed response, turned out it was a driver illness (tragically someone lost their life). Back on track, how does someone from a seemingly benign background, sports player, decent prospects, good family get to ramming taxis & Garda cars in a populated area to planning a heist and killing a Garda?

I guess there's a journalist somewhere digging deep and interviewing people to get some sort of idea.
    timthumbni wrote: »
    But he was a great gaa player though..... a lovely fella from south Armagh.... reliable and trustworthy, and a very promising Gaa player. Works in the diesel aand car industry. I have no problem giving this man a glowing reference. ..... weird.

Just seeing your post now! There's positional abuse in societies, but the actions of this fella goes beyond redemption. No amount of respect or admiration could have got him out of the joyriding antics. I presume you're referring to these actions and not the murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

In reality he’s fcuked. Deservedly so

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Loads of bad people around who kick against parents and establishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Al Capone's brother was a Justice of the Peace. Malcolm McArthur was arrested in the Attorney-General's house. Nobody is responsible for their relations.

Just seeing your post now! There's positional abuse in societies, but the actions of this fella goes beyond redemption. No amount of respect or admiration could have got him out of the joyriding antics. I presume you're referring to these actions and not the murder.

I was referring to the fact that his gaa coach gave him a glowing reference to his first section of serious criminal offences like he was some sort of great guy because he played Gaelic football. I would also question that guys judgement anyway but where he’s from I’m not surprised.

If he said that guywas trustworthy then I seriously would doubt his judgement in general.

I was referring to the fact that his gaa coach gave him a glowing reference to his first section of serious criminal offences like he was some sort of great guy because he played Gaelic football. I would also question that guys judgement anyway but where he’s from I’m not surprised.

If he said that guywas trustworthy then I seriously would doubt his judgement in general.

I'm sure there is someone who can honestly say that Graham Dwyer was a competent architect and that in their dealings with him as an architect that they did not think he was a murderer.
    That is a perfectly reasonable thing to say, but it does not mean Dwyer is not guilty.

As for the coach, the ambition of coaches is to get players playing football and away from the other stuff. A coach is perfectly competent to state that a player has talent and that he reliably turned up for training.
    That is a perfectly reasonable thing to say, but it does not mean Brady is not guilty.

This was a strange crime, the amount of money was trivial, €7000 among a gang of 5, you could earn that much in couple of days in a regular job. By all accounts Brady held down a job in New York and was reliable to that extent.

As for the coach, the ambition of coaches is to get players playing football and away from the other stuff. A coach is perfectly competent to state that a player has talent and that he reliably turned up for training.
    That is a perfectly reasonable thing to say, but it does not mean Brady is not guilty..

Sounds very American to me. All he did was play a wee game of gaa football. Big deal. What odds that a man turned up for fecking gaa training and could play? He had a litany of crimes against him including the murder of an Irish police man.

It’s a bit like John Wayne Gacy getting a reference from clown school saying he was a promising clown.

Sounds very American to me. All he did was play a wee game of gaa football. Big deal. What odds that a man turned up for fecking gaa training and could play? He had a litany of crimes against him including the murder of an Irish police man.

It’s a bit like John Wayne Gacy getting a reference from clown school saying he was a promising clown.

I agree, it isn't much odds, who said it was? It is only you who is making a big thing about it.

If John Wayne Gacy was a promising clown then the clown school should say that he was, this is within their competence.
    I wouldn't expect the court to pay any attention to this point.

Now you can argue that courts should not receive "references" and I'd largely agree, but I do not agree that someone should falsify the reference.

• Advertisement

OK, fair enough... I've seen it. He's a moron, we all know them, mouth breathing big fish men in small ponds.

I'm puzzled as to how he convinced found four other equaliy moronic people in his peer group to carry out what went on outside that credit union.

It's not normal. None of them are part of an ethnic group, they're all allegedly from regular backgrounds, there isn't a history of extreme poverty or drug addiction. I'm just curious as to how a group of basically well healed young men get in to this sort of stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement