Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Aaron Brady Guilty as charged

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I'm sure there is someone who can honestly say that Graham Dwyer was a competent architect and that in their dealings with him as an architect that they did not think he was a murderer.
    That is a perfectly reasonable thing to say, but it does not mean Dwyer is not guilty.

As for the coach, the ambition of coaches is to get players playing football and away from the other stuff. A coach is perfectly competent to state that a player has talent and that he reliably turned up for training.
    That is a perfectly reasonable thing to say, but it does not mean Brady is not guilty.

This was a strange crime, the amount of money was trivial, €7000 among a gang of 5, you could earn that much in couple of days in a regular job. By all accounts Brady held down a job in New York and was reliable to that extent.

27k in another bag they didn't get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

This was a strange crime, the amount of money was trivial, €7000 among a gang of 5.

The 7k has been mentioned a few times. I doubt they thought that that was all they would be getting from the robbery.
    All the planning for little over a grand each, doubt it.

Although, I would have no idea how much a credit union would be supposed to have taken in on a friday:confused:

The 7k has been mentioned a few times. I doubt they thought that that was all they would be getting from the robbery.
    All the planning for little over a grand each, doubt it.

Although, I would have no idea how much a credit union would be supposed to have taken in on a friday:confused:

See post above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm sure there is someone who can honestly say that Graham Dwyer was a competent architect and that in their dealings with him as an architect that they did not think he was a murderer.
    That is a perfectly reasonable thing to say, but it does not mean Dwyer is not guilty.

As for the coach, the ambition of coaches is to get players playing football and away from the other stuff. A coach is perfectly competent to state that a player has talent and that he reliably turned up for training.
    That is a perfectly reasonable thing to say, but it does not mean Brady is not guilty.

This was a strange crime, the amount of money was trivial, €7000 among a gang of 5, you could earn that much in couple of days in a regular job. By all accounts Brady held down a job in New York and was reliable to that extent.

after you disregard the cheques it was 4k

Did the gang know the Gardaí would be there that night?

Silky move if they did.
    the ringleader threatened the garda, and his family before, after a previous robbery, i bet he wasn't carrying a gun and set the other two up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

family member dealt a lot with the firm Dwyer worked for from what they say - your analysis is spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,927 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Watching the show about the crime last night, I got to thinking maybe the fatal shot might not have been deliberate?

Perhaps with the action of running with the shotgun, it went off accidentally? Normally if you were holding people up in a robbery, there would be a lot of shouting and pointing of weapons, but the fact that the Guard was shot the minute he put his head up was very callous. Do we really think that the gang had decided to murder straight away? If so, why not kill the 2nd guard who was armed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Al Capone's brother was a Justice of the Peace. Malcolm McArthur was arrested in the Attorney-General's house. Nobody is responsible for their relations.

From memory, back in the 2000s a Trinity Lecturer got raided by the Gardai because his brother was one of the ringleaders of the Westies gang. No mention on a quick Google so I'm guessing he used the right to be forgotten law to put it behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭pgj2015

NIMAN wrote: »
    Watching the show about the crime last night, I got to thinking maybe the fatal shot might not have been deliberate?

Perhaps with the action of running with the shotgun, it went off accidentally? Normally if you were holding people up in a robbery, there would be a lot of shouting and pointing of weapons, but the fact that the Guard was shot the minute he put his head up was very callous. Do we really think that the gang had decided to murder straight away? If so, why not kill the 2nd guard who was armed?

if I had to guess, I would say Brady panicked when Adrian got out of the car, and like the coward he is, fired first before the guards had a chance to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

John_Rambo wrote: »
    OK, fair enough... I've seen it. He's a moron, we all know them, mouth breathing big fish men in small ponds.

I'm puzzled as to how he convinced found four other equaliy moronic people in his peer group to carry out what went on outside that credit union.

It's not normal. None of them are part of an ethnic group, they're all allegedly from regular backgrounds, there isn't a history of extreme poverty or drug addiction. I'm just curious as to how a group of basically well healed young men get in to this sort of stuff.

Do you know anything about Cross and its past? The recent ATM robbery gang are from the same area as well. Diesel laundering and smuggling are endemic in the area. Recruitment wouldn't be an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

This is not reasonable, you had the same crap stated about Mickey Harte.

If someone asks me for a reference then I provide a factual reference stating the things that I know about, that is my duty to the court. It is not my duty to alter the facts of different events because I think you did a bad thing, quite the opposite. Tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth and let the court decide.

it might be your "duty" to keep your mouth shut when you know the subject of the reference is telling lie after lie after lie - or to tell the whole truth ie "Aaron is a known thief and scumbag up to his neck in local crime and has told so many lies nothing he says can be believed - but he was OK at football"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Truthvader wrote: »
    it might be your "duty" to keep your mouth shut when you know the subject of the reference is telling lie after lie after lie - or to tell the whole truth ie "Aaron is a known thief and scumbag up to his neck in local crime and has told so many lies nothing he says can be believed - but he was OK at football"

It’s hard to believe he wasn’t put to sleep himself with the mouth he has on him . The other 4 will get similar sentences all over Brady with his lose finger and his lose mouth .
    The gob****e fell back when he let off the shot that killed Adrian, obviously pure amateur trying to be the tough man . Brain dead imbecile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

NIMAN wrote: »

It takes a good effort to cock a gun, it is not something you do lightly, you are well prepared with the intent to fire it. Anyone who has fired a semiautomatic weapon will tell you this. It was fired with intent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 eyeforaneye

Either the Irish times Journalists can't add or they know something about early release for capital crimes that we don't know. Once upon a time if you murdered a member of An Garda Siochana you were sentenced to be hanged. That's why its referred to as a 'capital' crime. This of course all changed in 1954 after the last person Michael Manning from Limerick was hanged by Albert Pierrepoint in Mountjoy Prison for raping and murdering a nurse. The death penalty was abolished in 1964 for the murder of Gardaí, diplomats and prison officers. It was finally abolished by statute for these remaining offences in 1990 and was finally expunged from the Constitution of Ireland by a referendum in 2001. The punishment now for killing a Garda is incarceration for a minimum term of forty years. The Irish Times this morning states Aaron Brady 'will be almost 60' when he is released. He is currently 29 years of age and has spent two years already in jail. This means he has a further 38 years behind bars which should make him 67 by the time he's paroled. But as I said earlier maybe the Irish Times know different.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Prime Time doc was good & very sad.

I'd love to know what happened to Aaron Brady for him to arrive at being a killer. A Garda killer at that. I find it a bid strange, being from Dublin anyone I knew that turned out a criminal were usually from a pretty deprived background. Bad parenting, unemployment, drugs and poverty would have had a big impact on the choice of 'career'. But Brady seems to be from a pretty average background.

How does someone like that begin to joyride stolen cars in small rural towns (and properly joyride, ramming other cars and causing mayhem) and manage to have four like minded friends that would be willing to carry out an armed robbery?

Back to my sick society theory.

25% of the Irish population were happy to vote Sinn Fein in the last election. They can hardly not know who they are voting for - they just think it is normal or don't care.

In border towns like Crossmaglen Sinn Fein IRA are embedded much more deeply, crime is a normal way of life for many, the Guards/ PSNI are given no co-operation by many and the shadow of fear and "say nuttin to nobody" hangs over everything. A fertile ground for any delusional young fellah considering a bit of diesel laundering , burglary and ultimately murder

Either the Irish times Journalists can't add or they know something about early release for capital crimes that we don't know. Once upon a time if you murdered a member of An Garda Siochana you were sentenced to be hanged. That's why its referred to as a 'capital' crime. This of course all changed in 1954 after the last person Michael Manning from Limerick was hanged by Albert Pierrepoint in Mountjoy Prison for raping and murdering a nurse. The death penalty was abolished in 1964 for the murder of Gardaí, diplomats and prison officers. It was finally abolished by statute for these remaining offences in 1990 and was finally expunged from the Constitution of Ireland by a referendum in 2001. The punishment now for killing a Garda is incarceration for a minimum term of forty years. The Irish Times this morning states Aaron Brady 'will be almost 60' when he is released. He is currently 29 years of age and has spent two years already in jail. This means he has a further 38 years behind bars which should make him 67 by the time he's paroled. But as I said earlier maybe the Irish Times know different.

One third remission?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,601 ✭✭✭✭walshb

And it pains me to say, but I don't hold much hope that he actually spends 40 years behind bars, mandatory or not.....

There will be petitions and appeals an clemency and all that effing sh1t....

The man deserves absolute life, not just 40 years...like all convicted murderers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭pgj2015

id say he will come out of prison as bad as when he went in, 60 or 70 he will still be a bad piece of work. I think if you kill a guard you should get life without the possibility of parole.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Asset management

Truthvader wrote: »
    One third remission?

25%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭spurshero

After watching the prime time last night would he have been convicted at all if he hadn’t been blabbing his mouth off in America . I have no doubt he done it and more importantly either had the police but unless the witnesses came forward from America would he have been charged at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Do you know anything about Cross and its past? The recent ATM robbery gang are from the same area as well. Diesel laundering and smuggling are endemic in the area. Recruitment wouldn't be an issue.

I know nothing about Cross to be honest, but thanks for the insight. Sounds nuts to be honest with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,601 ✭✭✭✭walshb

25%

So potentially 30 years maximum with remission

This sounds right.......even if it's wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

MrSanchez wrote: »
    Sorry not sure if I missed it but is there anything linking that scumbag Brady to the ira or Sinn Fein? Like any online posts or articles, I can’t find any atm

That's because there aren't any links Brady or his family have absolutely no republican links whatsoever I know that disappoints you greatly.

Many of you on this thread are just going to have to get it through your heads that republicans had nothing to do with this and if they had the Garda and media would be shouting that from the rooftops and Brady most certainly would not have got a jury trial.

Scoundrel wrote: »
    That's because there aren't any links Brady or his family have absolutely no republican links whatsoever I know that disappoints you greatly.

Many of you on this thread are just goiAgng to have to get it through your heads that republicans had nothing to do with this and if they had the Garda and media would be shouting that from the rooftops and Brady most certainly would not have got a jury trial.

Agree, everyone including me assumed a connection but it just does not exist

spurshero wrote: »
    After watching the prime time last night would he have been convicted at all if he hadn’t been blabbing his mouth off in America . I have no doubt he done it and more importantly either had the police but unless the witnesses came forward from America would he have been charged at all?

Thought it was very unfair of RTE to splash the witnesses pics and name all over the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Hope he's left enough room on his back to tattoo on all his prison boyfriends DOBs.

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Hope he's left enough room on his back to tattoo on all his prison boyfriends DOBs.

He’s Aaron Brady most feared gangster in Ireland and uk, no fear :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Thank you for this so you do get the 25% that's what I originally thought but then I thought they only got it because their sentence was commuted so it's 30 years he'll do it's interesting to see that the 33% is mentioned although I sincerely doubt any garda killer will get that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement