Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aaron Brady Guilty as charged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Crossmaglen is 99% scumbags. I’d lock the parents up as well.

Ignorant. That is quite the brush there you are using

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

So only those with an in-depth knowledge should question the verdict or else you think they have questionable motives?

A man who is 5cfoot 7 is convicted of a murder when the main witness a Garda and other witnesses describe the shooter as 6 foot tall. The main evidence against him seems to be statements he allegedly made incrimination himself to a man. This man may or may not have made a deal to stay in the US on the back of his statements. You don't have to be an expert to see that the evidence in this case is wafer thin.

Is it possible that Aaron Brady was paid off to take blame for the killing while the real killer made off?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

He looks like Mr Tayto

• Registered Users Posts: 21,053 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

So only those with an in-depth knowledge should question the verdict or else you think they have questionable motives?

A man who is 5cfoot 7 is convicted of a murder when the main witness a Garda and other witnesses describe the shooter as 6 foot tall. The main evidence against him seems to be statements he allegedly made incrimination himself to a man. This man may or may not have made a deal to stay in the US on the back of his statements. You don't have to be an expert to see that the evidence in this case is wafer thin.

It doesn’t matter what anyone said Aaron put himself in the shooter frame and got done for it , he’s non too sharp.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭gailforecast

Ignorant. That is quite the brush there you are using

No I’m not. I live at the border area in Louth. Everybody knows it. Armagh and Crossmaglen folk are trouble.

Besides, his father is either retired or still a smuggler. You don’t just “get into” something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Okay, but answer my question?

Will his father disown him? Will he get battered in the Joy?

His father was with him in court every day, disowning doesn’t seem to be on the cards.

Also, I have to say, - in general terms and not specific to this case - no matter what crime was committed, I would not judge a parent for not disowning their child. For many, that’s a strong bond not easily broken, even by stuff like this. One can even recognise that their child has done something awful and needs to be punished for it without disowning them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,885 ✭✭✭billyhead

His father is probably a scum bag aswell with a big Provo head on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

It doesn’t matter what anyone said Aaron put himself in the shooter frame and got done for it , he’s non too sharp.

According to one witness who had not even heard of the shooting despite being interested in dissident republican politics. A guy who was picked up by homeland security and despite overstaying his visa by years is released soon afterwards, according to a immigration lawyer that is unprecedented.

billyhead wrote: »
    His father is probably a scum bag aswell with a big Provo head on him.

Exactly, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was involved in the robbery.

No I’m not. I live at the border area in Louth. Everybody knows it. Armagh and Crossmaglen folk are trouble.

Besides, his father is either retired or still a smuggler. You don’t just “get into” something like that.

Has his father been convicted of smuggling ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭tjhook

Pretty much. We could lower the bar from "in-depth" (that's not the phrase I used), but if somebody shows a very limited knowledge of what went on in the court room, I'd be cynical of their attempts to cast doubt on 6 months of effort by a jury of their peers.

As I said, the burden is on them to show why the trial was flawed - and it would need to be a stronger demonstration than a rehash of a couple of points made by defense counsel during the trial.

Is it possible that Aaron Brady was paid off to take blame for the killing while the real killer made off?

First up, he didn’t take the blame for the killing. He denied flat out he was there.

Second, is it possible - in the sense that “anything is possible”? Sure, why not. Let your imagination soar free and anything could be true.

But is it reasonable to think that it occurred? No.

Has his father been convicted of smuggling ?

Nope, smugglers are rarely caught. Like I said previously, northern smugglers generally inherit the family “business”. The majority of the provo scumbags are smuggling either fuel or un-stamped cigarettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I don't get it -- 40 years, meanwhile other murderers get 8-12 years with frequent suspended sentencings...

Why the difference in magnitude? All murderers should get such sentencings if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,758 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

mynamejeff wrote: »
    its a shame capital murder doesn't carry a capital sentence,

dirty rodents head on the bastard

Is 40 years the max he can get?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

You really havent a clue of what went on throughout this trial. Will you be put down for a thousand to get the defence fund going?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is 40 years the max he can get?

That's the minimum he can get.

According to one witness who had not even heard of the shooting despite being interested in dissident republican politics. A guy who was picked up by homeland security and despite overstaying his visa by years is released soon afterwards, according to a immigration lawyer that is unprecedented.

It was proven he was there and he said he wasn’t that meant he’s a liar , he should have focused on not being the shooter but he was too busy lying about diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭xvril

It was proven he was there and he said he wasn’t that meant he’s a liar , he should have focused on not being the shooter but he was too busy lying about diesel

What was the proof he was there? I haven't heard it

Special criminal court puts another scumbag away.

Thank god its not been abolished like a certain party is calling for.

How has this absolute lie received nine 'thanks'?

No doubt the same brigade lament the reliability of RTE, BBC, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭xvril

I thought the special criminal court didn't have juries?

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I don't get it -- 40 years, meanwhile other murderers get 8-12 years with frequent suspended sentencings...

Why the difference in magnitude? All murderers should get such sentencings if you ask me.

All murderers automatically get a life sentence. What happens then is that after 7 years, they’re eligible for parole. But no murder convict has ever been given parole the first time they apply. They have to wait 2 years to apply again, so the first half chance they have to be released (on parole) is after 9 years. However, the reality is that they always get refused again then too (there may have been exceptions in the past). The current average time spend in prison for murder in Ireland is 17 years, and rising. The granting of parole is at the sole discretion of the Minister for Justice.

Anyone you’re thinking of that only spent 8-12 years in prison for killing someone was convicted of manslaughter, not murder. There’s a big difference. It’s impossible to get a suspended sentence for murder, again you must be confusing it with another crime.

Legally, after you’re released from prison, you’re still serving the sentence - but on parole - for the rest of your life. This is different to a finite sentence which ends after it has been served.

On the matter of the minimum 40 years for Capital Murder, that was specifically written into the Criminal Justice Act 1990. Before that, it was legal custom for the President to commute the death sentence given (that was never going to be carried out) to 40 years. Here’s an explanation of why the legislation included it:
    (Then minister) Ray Burke said that civilians may become a victim of murder for a myriad of reprehensible motives including passion, revenge and avarice.

He said the risk of this happening was relatively remote and a matter of fate.

The Justice Minister said, however, that gardaí and prison officers are brought into frequent contact with violent people through their duty to protect the public and as a result cannot simply choose to avoid danger.

Mr Burke said this group deserve “the utmost protection we can give them” and that we must rely “heavily on deterrence to protect them”.

Source: https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/explainer-what-is-capital-murder-and-why-is-there-a-special-category-for-the-murder-of-gardai-and-prison-officers-39425848.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭bmc58

Gammyeye wrote: »
    Absolute scumbag. May he rot in prison.

40 years to go.Deserves every day of it.

xvril wrote: »
    What was the proof he was there? I haven't heard it

There is none except what he is alleged to have said in the states.

This was the ccc

There is none except what he is alleged to have said in the states.

And the phone evidence and circumstantial evidence about location and sightings and lying about his whereabouts and providing false alibis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Irishman80

How has this absolute lie received nine 'thanks'?

No doubt the same brigade lament the reliability of RTE, BBC, etc.

You seem more worried about a post on boards.ie that got the court wrong rather than the absolute ****b-g gang who executed a guard and then had their ****b-g family and ****b-g friends threaten and intimidate witnesses at the trial.

All part of the same brigade - the sh-tbag brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'd say 99.9% of the population are happy and relieved with the verdict. I am one of them.

So .1% of the population at a guess, is posting on Boards criticising the verdict straight out of the traps. Typical.

Few agree with such posters. They don't (like in the Covid restrictions thread) represent Ireland at all. Just bored keyboard warriors waiting for their Leaving Cert results or bots or whatever. They don't speak for me.

Let him appeal, it won't succeed. See, I can be certain of things too.

Great that the man was convicted, and I'd say most people agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I don't claim to read every post in every thread but this has been addressed a few times

He was convicted by a jury in the Central Criminal Court

• Advertisement

roast222 wrote: »
    https://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/home/565864/the-most-outrageous-contempt-of-court-witness-intimidation-and-interference-in-the-trial-of-aaron-brady.html

Only 2 witnesses were willing to testify one of whose evidence was discarded due to video interference. Others were intimidated into not testifying and the jurors would have not have been aware of the other 5 testimonies who either failed to show up in court or who retracted their statements.

Crazy article, hopefully the Gardaí will go after the people intimidating the witnesses now. Democracy can't function when witness intimidation becomes a norm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement