Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying house, flood plan

Options
  • 12-08-2020 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

we recently paid booking deposit for a house. when we went to get a quote for home insurance we were told that house is in flood area and they won't provide insurance.

When I checked 'floodinfo' (ie), I can see house is within the boundary of flood maps as its near a small lake and small river flowing nearby. Around 10 houses are in flood map. Rest all houses ok in that area.

Another broker seems ready to give quote when I tried online.

My concern is that , other than higher home insurance premium anything else needs to be worried about this.

Will it affect any future planning permissions like, extending house etc... Or rebuilding it...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

wouldn't be worried about planning etc.. in the future but likely any insurer will completely exclude flood damage.

Btw if this house is in one of those estates in Sallins, leave it. It will flood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Talk to the locals find out if it ever flooded. Then keep in mind that if there is more building in the area, there will me more drainage and runoff as land is covered in concrete, all that extra water could end up in the stream, your house could easily flood. To be honest I'd run a mile it's not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I'd walk away. Your booking deposit is refundable, so you've nothing to lose at this point.

Even if you manage to get house insurance now, if you need to make a claim due to a flood in the future, you're very unlikely to be covered for it a second time around. It's really not worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dubind77

wouldn't be worried about planning etc.. in the future but likely any insurer will completely exclude flood damage.

Btw if this house is in one of those estates in Sallins, leave it. It will flood.

thanks.

its not in Sallins, I am not worried about real flood as I live nearby, it won't flood.
    only concern was will it be issue with future planning permissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dubind77

woodchuck wrote: »
    I'd walk away. Your booking deposit is refundable, so you've nothing to lose at this point.

Even if you manage to get house insurance now, if you need to make a claim due to a flood in the future, you're very unlikely to be covered for it a second time around. It's really not worth the risk.

I live nearby, and sure it won't really flood. like water coming to house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Housebuying

No, my house is in a flood area. The shores blocked up about 30 years ago and the road flooded. We are one of the only ones with a front garden so it didn't affect our house.

We are here 20 years now. Other than it's difficult to get cheap house insurance we have had no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

No insurer will cover any house in Shannon town, (pop. 10k)

We've never had any issue with flooding, obvs very close to the estuary but never any issue with flooding.

If you know there's been no issues in the area, i'd plough on, that's what we're doing

Advertisement