Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train derailment in Scotland

Options
  • 12-08-2020 12:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭

A train has derailed near Stonehaven - a number of people have been killed and injured.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Nibs05

dere34 wrote: »
    A train has derailed near Stonehaven - a number of people have been killed and injured.

There are no reports on people being killed, please don’t speculate until we get official news.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭dere34

PA reporting at least one death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

2 deaths are being reported. It was an Aberdeen-Glasgow train that had turned back to Aberdeen due to flooding. A bridge gave way under it.

Leading power car and all 4 coaches reported as going down an embankment. 3 crew and 6 passengers reported onboard. One crew member reported safe but in shock.

They’ve had some serious rainfall and floods. Saw pictures this morning of cars floating down a road.

RIP

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

prinzeugen wrote: »
    2 deaths are being reported. It was an Aberdeen-Glasgow train that had turned back to Aberdeen due to flooding. A bridge gave way under it.

Leading power car and all 4 coaches reported as going down an embankment. 3 crew and 6 passengers reported onboard. One crew member reported safe but in shock.

12 on board according to Sky, 6 crew and 6 passengers.

Awful :(

I always have a terror of being caught up in something like this.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭dere34

Three dead.

dere34 wrote: »
    Three dead.

Sad to hear. I think that number could rise unfortunately as one of the coaches has been totally obliterated.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,037 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The power car went down an embankment the four coaches didn't from pictures from the scene I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,037 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Sad to hear. I think that number could rise unfortunately as one of the coaches has been totally obliterated.

Well there was something in bits under the two coaches I could see so very possible one coache is in bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Am I correct in the following?
    This was a 6:40am Aberdeen - Glasgow service, that turned around due to flooding not all that far outside of Aberdeen?

But that the 1st reports of the crash were at @9:30am and that the story itself started breaking about 2½hrs after that?

The lag is very broad, surely someone knew they were missing a train at some point?

Apologies if my understanding of the timings is wrong, just strikes me as very odd.

RIP to those who've lost their live and speedy recovery to everyone injured.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well there was something in bits under the two coaches I could see so very possible one coache is in bits.

That is the lower 4ft of a coach (its lying upside down). Everything above that is gone.

Pictures on Sky news now. One coach is down the embankment and half burnt.

banie01 wrote: »
    Am I correct in the following?
    This was a 6:40am Aberdeen - Glasgow service, that turned around due to flooding not all that far outside of Aberdeen?

But that the 1st reports of the crash were at @9:30am and that the story itself started breaking about 2½hrs after that?

The lag is very broad, surely someone knew they were missing a train at some point?

Apologies if my understanding of the timings is wrong, just strikes me as very odd.

RIP to those who've lost their live and speedy recovery to everyone injured.

The train stopped at a landslip. The driver then had to wait to get permission to head north back up the southbound track "wrong line" to a crossover. Getting that permission takes time. I believe the driver was seeking permission to use the northbound track to continue south but once the track was inspected, the train had no choice but to return north.

The train then took the correct northbound track at the crossover and shortly after derailed on a landslip that had occurred since it had passed southbound.

That section of line uses old manual signaling still and I understand a member of the traincrew had to walk/run back to the signal box to raise the alarm.

The signalman would have known a train was missing but not why/where. The driver has a radio but he was sadly most likely dead at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The train stopped at a landslip. The driver then had to wait to get permission to head north back up the southbound track "wrong line" to a crossover. Getting that permission takes time.

Thanks for the info, I was trying to get a sequence of events straight in my mind and you made it far clearer.

I do know from news commentary that the area seems to be a mobile phone deadspot and the topography around the crash site couldn't have helped any radio signals either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

What an awful tragedy to hear about today. My heart goes out to any of the people killed & injured in this crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Rail industry sources told PA news agency that the suspected cause of the incident was a landslip.
    Jaysus, you just never know when it's your last day.
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭bmc58

They’ve had some serious rainfall and floods. Saw pictures this morning of cars floating down a road.

RIP

Landslide on the track due to very heavy overnight rain.

Advertisement