Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving from eir to Vodafone

• 12-08-2020 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭

Going to make the move, currently paying just shy of sixty a month for eir 150mb, and Vodafone have a deal at the moment for 12 months of 1gb @ 40 euro.

My question is do I need to go through the nauseating mission of trying to contact eir to cancel (well out of contract by now) or will Vodafone do it automatically?

Dread ever having to ring them.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Think Vodafone can port your details across.Unsure about 30 day notice if that applies.Have you rechecked your location is setup for BB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

greasepalm wrote: »
    Think Vodafone can port your details across.Unsure about 30 day notice if that applies.Have you rechecked your location is setup for BB?

I'm on fibre to the home, and Vodafone says I can get Vodafone 1gb eir. So good to go from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Going to make the move, currently paying just shy of sixty a month for eir 150mb, and Vodafone have a deal at the moment for 12 months of 1gb @ 40 euro.

My question is do I need to go through the nauseating mission of trying to contact eir to cancel (well out of contract by now) or will Vodafone do it automatically?

Dread ever having to ring them.

You can get 1GB for €30 a month for 12 months on Vodafone is you order it online according to their website.

Vodafone will do the work for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Vodafone can port you over without you having to contact Eir. Is it on the Openeir Network or Siro?

• Advertisement

Vodafone can port you over without you having to contact Eir. Is it on the Openeir Network or Siro?

Openeir I think. It's eir on the options it says I can get on the Vodafone site. I have eir fibre to the home at present.

Amusingly, after I started this thread, and signed up to Vodafone, and they took my first month's payment I have progressed precisely nowhere. I've not been bothered because i still have my current broadband but it's laughable really. Asked for my money back now, which I think is fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭fmannix10

Amusingly, after I started this thread, and signed up to Vodafone, and they took my first month's payment I have progressed precisely nowhere. I've not been bothered because i still have my current broadband but it's laughable really. Asked for my money back now, which I think is fair enough.

Any update on what happend with your order?

Friend of mine placed an order a month ago too and they haven't done anything yet either. He called them the other day and spent 2 hours waiting to speak to someone and got transferred a bunch of times. In the end they said they would have to contact some technical team bla bla but said they would sort it. He still has no update as far as I know. I didn't think customer service could get any worse than eir but there you go. Vodafone have done it.

I myself was planning to switch to Vodafone too but I managed to renew my eir 1Gb service for €53.98 a month for 24 months after threatening to cancel.

fmannix10 wrote: »
    Any update on what happend with your order?

Friend of mine placed an order a month ago too and they haven't done anything yet either. He called them the other day and spent 2 hours waiting to speak to someone and got transferred a bunch of times. In the end they said they would have to contact some technical team bla bla but said they would sort it. He still has no update as far as I know. I didn't think customer service could get any worse than eir but there you go. Vodafone have done it.

I myself was planning to switch to Vodafone too but I managed to renew my eir 1Gb service for €53.98 a month for 24 months after threatening to cancel.

I got an email saying there would be an engineer show up between 9 and 12 of the morning I got the email. Of course they didn't show. So I got onto their customer support who, after a week said it was an IT problem and they'd forwarded the issue. Then updates saying there was no updates, so after virtually a month I said I wanted to cancel (though I don't actually have anything to cancel). Was supposed to get a call from the cancellation team today, you can probably guess the rest.

I'm going to see if I can get that deal with eir next day I'm off. I'm still with them, and long out of contract so hopefully it'll be straightforward, but I won't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭fmannix10

I got an email saying there would be an engineer show up between 9 and 12 of the morning I got the email. Of course they didn't show. So I got onto their customer support who, after a week said it was an IT problem and they'd forwarded the issue. Then updates saying there was no updates, so after virtually a month I said I wanted to cancel (though I don't actually have anything to cancel). Was supposed to get a call from the cancellation team today, you can probably guess the rest.

I'm going to see if I can get that deal with eir next day I'm off. I'm still with them, and long out of contract so hopefully it'll be straightforward, but I won't hold my breath.
    That's appalling service. Definitely try with eir once you get that order cancelled. They might not offer it to you straight away. I think only loyalty/cancellation guys can do it. First time I tried I spent the standard 30 to 40 minutes on hold and the guy offered me €67 or €69 a month on 2 year contract (cant remember which), I declined and they got cancellation team to call me. Got a text 3 days later saying they couldn't reach me even though i never missed a call. The text said to call loyalty team on 1800924409. I called that number and surprisingly this time only waited 5 minutes on hold and finally got the better offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭patsyrockem

fmannix10 wrote: »
    That's appalling service. Definitely try with eir once you get that order cancelled. They might not offer it to you straight away. I think only loyalty/cancellation guys can do it. First time I tried I spent the standard 30 to 40 minutes on hold and the guy offered me €67 or €69 a month on 2 year contract (cant remember which), I declined and they got cancellation team to call me. Got a text 3 days later saying they couldn't reach me even though i never missed a call. The text said to call loyalty team on 1800924409. I called that number and surprisingly this time only waited 5 minutes on hold and finally got the better offer.

Hi there, my Eir broadband has been deteriorating over a long period and is now virtually useless (2.6mbps) and outdated. Other half is working from home and constantly frustrated with it. I am finally going to do something about it.
    I have been paying rent for a landline that we don't use anymore, landline & broadband is costing 140eu every 2 months. If I could get better broadband I might stay with Eir but I want to get rid of the landline. I might try to cancel like you did and see what they come back with. You cannot write to them to terminate as they are all working from home 🙄 I had visions of spending days on the phone but am after getting some encouragement from your experience.
    People living 50 yards down the road have e fibre but my address is showing up as not available. I'm sure if I could talk to a technician I might be able to get sorted, but our local technician retired last year. If anyone has any advice for me on what I'm sure will be a long journey, I would be very grateful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭THEFRIDGE

Very interested to hear how people got on. We are on 100mb with Eir but want to switch to siro with vodafone . Pure telecom also doing it but never heard of them.

Will I need to contact Eir to cancel or will vodafone do it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Aato

Cancelled Eir 300mbps old plan last week and I signed up to Vodafone 1000mbps through their online chat. To my surprise everything was so easy and went so smoothly. About an hour after the online chat I received confirmation message and also the date which is Monday 21st for installation which was super quick turnaround.

Had to ring Eir to cancel as Vodafone apparently can't do it for you anymore. Hoping everything goes smooth on Monday and that will be it!

Aato wrote: »
    Cancelled Eir 300mbps old plan last week and I signed up to Vodafone 1000mbps through their online chat. To my surprise everything was so easy and went so smoothly. About an hour after the online chat I received confirmation message and also the date which is Monday 21st for installation which was super quick turnaround.

Had to ring Eir to cancel as Vodafone apparently can't do it for you anymore. Hoping everything goes smooth on Monday and that will be it!

The confirmation email and installation date was as far as I got, but hopefully it'll be more straightforward for you.

Great to hear, would you mind posting an update after the installation ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭donaghs

Now try getting support from 1907 though! It looks like customer service is shocking across the board.

Yeah I'd imagine all ISP's get complaints across the board, I will post an update how installation goes although there shouldn't be much to it as ftth line is already in place.

To be honest I read these forums before I had ftth and the one company that stood out was Eir for how bad their customer service etc is but having had Eir for the past year I can't say I had a problem with them at all. Service never had 1 issue which is probably why I've never had to contact them to resolve anything and experience their customer service. Only reason I'm switching is because Vodafone 40 euro per month for 1000mb is unbeatable at the minute.

So guy arrived this morning at 9:10am and was done within 10 minutes. Got the gigabox too I was worried they would supply an older or worse router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Eir got probably the worst Customer Care across the board, at the same time they got Premium broadband Network .
    Vodafone would be the worst company to switch IMO.
    IT is heavily congested Network , using cheapest third party for interconnect , you'll sign for 1gigabit and be happy to get 100mbit in some parts of the country.

alec76 wrote: »
    Eir got probably the worst Customer Care across the board, at the same time they got Premium broadband Network .
    Vodafone would be the worst company to switch IMO.
    IT is heavily congested Network , using cheapest third party for interconnect , you'll sign for 1gigabit and be happy to get 100mbit in some parts of the country.

I have 600mbps on mobile WiFi at the minute is that good or bad for wifi

• Advertisement

I have 600mbps on mobile WiFi at the minute is that good or bad for wifi

Unreal speeds.. Sold me gonna pull the trigger tomorrow. Just the thoughts of having to deal with eir.

THEFRIDGE wrote: »
    Unreal speeds.. Sold me gonna pull the trigger tomorrow. Just the thoughts of having to deal with eir.

I have nothing bad to say about Vodafone but I know its early days yet. I can safely say though the whole process of signing up even over online chat was simple and straight forward and not to mention how quick I got an installation date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Notmything

I find Vodafone hit n miss on the phone but their Twitter team is good if you've an issue.

I have SIRO and my contract just ended, lots of calls but no joy with any discount to stay with them so I gave them 30 days notice to cancel.

Chanced my arm with them on twitter and they sorted me out fairly quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

Notmything wrote: »
    I find Vodafone hit n miss on the phone but their Twitter team is good if you've an issue.

I have SIRO and my contract just ended, lots of calls but no joy with any discount to stay with them so I gave them 30 days notice to cancel.

As a matter of interest.... why consider quoting them if they on Siro. I presume they the only used on the Siro and so you would only be moving to a drop in speeds from others !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Masala wrote: »
    As a matter of interest.... why consider quoting them if they on Siro. I presume they the only used on the Siro and so you would only be moving to a drop in speeds from others !

There are a number of other providers available on the SIRO network as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭donaghs

Notmything wrote: »

Shouldn't have to sign up for a social media platform, especially one that's not even in the top 5 subscribers globally.
    (Twitter appears ubiquitous in the news, because of celebs on it, and the amount of toxic "newsworthy" commentary it generates).

I think I must have angered the telecom god's, because after 3 phone calls totalling (mostly on hold) nearly 2 hours, and 3 different people, the cheapest Eir will give me is 67 euro a month on a year contract for gigabit internet. That's after being a customer for over ten years, funny old world.

So who's next, Sky maybe?

Got the Eir 1gig deal after they rang today. Why the fupp do they make it such a rigmarole. Could have saved their employees time on the phone for actual issues if they had cut out all the bullplop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Got the Eir 1gig deal after they rang today.

I’ve got it for €54.99 , 24 months contract, had their 300 mbps package before. I think some people managed to get 1Gb for €37 from Eir , toss of a coin really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

What is Vodafone broadband like in rural areas? Would they be at least the same speeds you’d be getting with phone mobile data?

I can get 4G at home and it’s with about 10mbs download speed and it’s a good speed. I’d be happy with at least this speed with broadband

Edit: currently with Sky , says we’re getting 6mbs download speed but literally it’s useless as nothing loads with it, and if it does it takes like 30 seconds

Advertisement