Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I change the processor of a laptop?

Options
  • 12-08-2020 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Can I change the processor of my lap hp 1000-1110LA
    Intel Celeron B820 at 1.70 GHz for an Intel core i3 or i5?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You cannot.
    Most laptops can only upgrade the storage (HDD/SSD) and/or memory (RAM).

Your only upgrade path is to buy a different machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You actually might be able to. From what I can find online, that thing uses a Celeron B820 CPU, which is socketable, and you can apparently pick up for €4 on eBay.

That said, it's ancient hardware. Unless you absolutely need that machine for something, I'd either look into a cheap-as-chips replacement laptop (anything will be an upgrade), or a Raspberry Pi if you're comfortable with a little more hand-on stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pilartin

Thanks for the advice

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Something like this should fit it. Your laptop supports a g2 socket, one of the last mobile generations that supports socketed cpus. Just make sure you have spare thermal paste when you switch it over

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

As someone on a similar processor, just save up for a new laptop.
    2nd-gen Core i5 doesn't play well with Windows 10.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Laptop CPUs are soldered in it's also expensive to buy someone like Dell would buy them for 40
    You would pay 200 you could buy a used mother board CPU combo on eBay UK but it might be cheaper buying new laptop
    Some people might sell laptop with broken screen cheaply

Advertisement