Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PayPal emails saying account will be limited

• 12-08-2020 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

I'm receiving emails saying my account will be limited if I don't take action. I've attached a screenshot.

The sentences are badly written so I'm presuming these emails are bogus and am just raising peoples awareness to these emails.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭Carodh

I'm receiving emails saying my account will be limited if I don't take action. I've attached a screenshot.

The sentences are badly written so I'm presuming these emails are bogus and am just raising peoples awareness to these emails.

Go in properly to your PayPal account not via the email. If PayPal want you to do something it will be in your messages in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

It's a scam, don't click on the links and attempt to login.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,128 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Akesh wrote: »
    It's a scam, don't click on the links and attempt to login.

Yeah I've been getting these daily.

Just flag them as phishing scams and ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Had one last month, Scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The dodgy English gives it away, just like most of these phishing attempts. Why they don't just pass them by a native Eglish speaker first I don't know, they'd make a killing if they did :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Unearthly

A few more tips to spot these.

* They don't address you by your name
    * They provide a link in the email to click into
    * They try to scare you into thinking it must be resolved ASAP or there will be repercussions. See how they give a 24 hour deadline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

On a laptop, all you have to do is hover the mouse over the link they want you to click and look at the address quoted in the status bar at the bottom of your screen. You'll quickly see that it's an innocent website which has been hacked i.e. it will not be pointing to Paypal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Thanks for all the advice above.

How do they get your email in the first place. Do they have an automated system that tries different address combinations and hope they get lucky or is it more targeted than that?

You can see how people get scammed easily though. A lapse of concentration or tiredness could lead to clicking through.

People new to online shopping/banking etc could get scammed easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Alun wrote: »
    The dodgy English gives it away, just like most of these phishing attempts. Why they don't just pass them by a native Eglish speaker first I don't know, they'd make a killing if they did :D

The dodgy English is usually created on purpose. It removes everyone that would be slightly suspicious of such emails and leave a small number of people who are very gullible and easy picking

How do they get your email in the first place.

Even if you don't provide your bank details when you get to a hacked website, simply clicking a link can reveal that your e-mail is a valid one and that opens the gateway to yet more spam.

If you study (but don't click on) a link you get in a spam e-mail, it will often contain a long load of indecipherable characters, this contains your e-mail address so when you click on the link, the website you arrive at knows the e-mail address that that link was sent to. You are now on the spammers' distribution lists and they will sell that list on to other spammers.

There's also the route under which someone gets fired and on the way out, they take a copy of their company's e-mail distribution list and sell it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,931 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I have two email addresses - one is my Paypal registered account, the other isn't.

I get all those emails to the non-paypal email address. Never to the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Bogey, but to be sure to be sure, log in seperately into your paypal account. Do not follow any link in that message and see if there are any notices in there.
    OR if you are feeling brave, click the link and post a screen shot of the www address at the top. A common trick is to have an address like www.paypal.falsedomain.com or similar.
    I do this as I THINK I know what I am looking at but they recommend you dont click any links.

Bogey, but to be sure to be sure, log in seperately into your paypal account. Do not follow any link in that message and see if there are any notices in there.
    OR if you are feeling brave, click the link and post a screen shot of the www address at the top. A common trick is to have an address like www.paypal.falsedomain.com or similar.
    I do this as I THINK I know what I am looking at but they recommend you dont click any links.

Get back to us when you finally manage to formulate a coherent policy on this topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

coylemj wrote: »
    Get back to us when you finally manage to formulate a coherent policy on this topic.
    Its not a policy, it is an afterthought and bit unfair you saying that.

Its not a policy, it is an afterthought and bit unfair you saying that.

Having an afterthought is allowed. As is editing your post to remove contradictory advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

If I had €1 for every email I got like this "from Paypal", I could take a week off work and still come out with more money! Ignore them, report them as phishing, block them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

coylemj wrote: »

No need to be uncivil. No back seat modding either.

Advertisement