Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pet drugs online

• 12-08-2020 6:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭

Hey, can anyone recommend any reliable and reputable sites to buy routine pet medication and doses online? Having just been charged €50 for one bravecto tablet and one milbemax tablet that it looks like I could get for €20 online, I'm just interested to know what are some legitimate websites. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I use https://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/ with a prescription from the vet. (but not for flea/worm stuff as I don’t use either)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

Hi,

I use Petsdrugs online too for heart tablets and arthritis medication for our ageing Labrador.
    Even paying postage and vat to Ireland it is still cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Wow. I can't tolerate Seresto as it brings me out in a rash and my dog can't tolerate spot-ons of any kind. I was a bit peeved at almost €32 for one Bravecto the other day. Less than £16 on that site.

Thanks for asking, OP, and for responding, TK and Flora.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Hey, can anyone recommend any reliable and reputable sites to buy routine pet medication and doses online? Having just been charged €50 for one bravecto tablet and one milbemax tablet that it looks like I could get for €20 online, I'm just interested to know what are some legitimate websites. Thanks.

I use vetuk.co.uk
    Just had a glance there and the bravecto tablets are around the 25 sterling mark depending on the dosage and about 4 sterling for milbemax

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

My vet said that they legally can't prescribe anything without seeing the pet in person? How do you get around that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

s1ippy wrote: »
    My vet said that they legally can't prescribe anything without seeing the pet in person? How do you get around that?

Some medication wouldn't be prescription only - or it might be prescription only here but not in the UK i'd imagine.
    I order most supplements that are prescription only here from VetUK at a fraction of the price - they are only supplements, not hardcore drugs, so why they are prescription only here is beyond me!

My old vets were so unreliable for prescriptions - I’d call to renew a few weeks in advance, call multiple times to check it was being taken care of and then when I’d go to collect no sign of it and waiting ages.. then the medicine was unavailable/wasn’t made anymore so I just prefer to have the 6 months supply now in case this new one stops being made!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭scilover

can we actually buy drugs for pets without vet prescriptions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

scilover wrote: »
    can we actually buy drugs for pets without vet prescriptions?

I would imagine the likes of worm treatment and flea/tick treatment are over the counter with no prescription necessary.

I would imagine the likes of worm treatment and flea/tick treatment are over the counter with no prescription necessary.

For any medicines (apart from fleas etc) a prescription is needed.

• Advertisement

s1ippy wrote: »

There is no getting around it I am afraid bring the animal to them, if it's medicine the dog will need on an on going basis, you can ask for a 3 month prescription.

We brought our girl to the vet and she had to get a lot of tests and bloods done, didn't see much change out of a grand 😢.
    Was getting her tablets each month at vet and was costing just over the 100, did it for about 5 months but couldn't really afford it, so looked on boards here and found out about Petsdrugs online, just make sure to order about 2 weeks before you need them.

I get a 6 month prescription and use Parcel Wizard - they usually arrive in a few days. I guess it depends on your vet and how much you're already spending with them? I had originally asked if they could do a bulk deal for me and the vet just have a prescription instead. Not everything is prescription either so it can pay to shop around... when Lucy was sick her phosphate binder was €60 from the vets but I could get a tub with three times the amount for €35 online.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I've heard reports of drugs being stopped at customs and never making it to the purchaser, particularly since Brexit kicked in.
    Has anyone found this to be the case?

DBB wrote: »
    I've heard reports of drugs being stopped at customs and never making it to the purchaser, particularly since Brexit kicked in.
    Has anyone found this to be the case?

That's why I get them sent to parcel wizard as it's an NI address. ;)

tk123 wrote: »
    That's why I get them sent to parcel wizard as it's an NI address. ;)

I was getting it with address pal (an post giving a UK address) but then they (Petsdrugs online) emailed me and said regulations were had to be sent to the country where the vet had prescribed ðŸ˜so that costs about an extra €25 or so but it still cheaper.

I paid €130 to Petsdrugs, it would have cost me about €500 here ( that will last me for 3 months for er arthritis liquid and 6 months supply for her daily half a heart tablet)

I've been waiting for my vet to come back from leave to get a new prescription.. I count the medicine at least once a week now in a panic that I'll run out lol :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Some flea/tick medications are prescription only (usually the newer/more effective ones).

A vet must have seen your animal recently to write prescription - this is a legal requirement. If you have been in recently or for a health check in the last six months they would likely write the prescription

Buying drugs online is a legal grey area. However, for the vet writing the prescription for use in a online pharmacy in another country is NOT ok. Ask for a prescription, don't say where you are shopping or you may cause a conflict for the vet in writing it.

Vets can charge for writing a prescription - some do, some don't

The reason these online pharmacies are cheaper than your vet is that they can bulk buy and have very few overheads relatively. Irish vets are also obliged to source their drugs from Irish wholesalers who are often more expensive at wholesale level than the UK equivalents.

Just to update I ordered on petdrugsonline.co.uk last week, used parcel wizard as the address and it arrived earlier no probs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Springwell wrote: »

The reason these online pharmacies are cheaper than your vet is that they can bulk buy and have very few overheads relatively. Irish vets are also obliged to source their drugs from Irish wholesalers who are often more expensive at wholesale level than the UK equivalents.

That's partially incorrect.

All medicines here and in the uk (and other countries) require regulatory approval. The cost of getting this approval is generally the same in UK and Ireland.

But for Ireland, the cost is spread over a far smaller population, so it is this cost that causes the much higher price.

UK wholesalers can sell here if they wish, but anything they sell must conform to the specific irish approvals - and in most cases there will be differences between the two countries

Advertisement