Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can i sell my half of home

Options
  • 12-08-2020 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

I was just wondering is it possible to sell my half of a jointly owned home(Like to the banks or something).Iv split from my ex and we have a child under 18 and shes still at the property while i bounce from sofa to sofa in peoples homes.She refuses to sell the home and cant afford to buy me out and wont let me buy her out so im kind of snookered and dont know what to do.I still pay the full mortgage and have done since day 1{9 years now}so find it hard to rent somewhere too.Any advice would really be appreciated guys.Thanks in advance..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

willdill wrote: »
    I was just wondering is it possible to sell my half of a jointly owned home(Like to the banks or something).Iv split from my ex and we have a child under 18 and shes still at the property while i bounce from sofa to sofa in peoples homes.She refuses to sell the home and cant afford to buy me out and wont let me buy her out so im kind of snookered and dont know what to do.I still pay the full mortgage and have done since day 1{9 years now}so find it hard to rent somewhere too.Any advice would really be appreciated guys.Thanks in advance..

Move back in, It's your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭willdill

Too much fighting and stuff going on,stress levels have had enough so i really need out mate..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,631 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Too much fighting and stuff going on,stress levels have had enough so i really need out mate..

Move in get her out.

We have a child under 18 so i couldnt get her out as child would more than likely go with her if a court rules..

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Seems like its more stress sofa hopping. buy a cabin throw it in back garden. The reality is that while the Woman is in situ with chisler, the house is hers. horrible situation.

• Advertisement

Cabin is a option but if id like to move on in the future and maybe meet someone else would defo make things very awkward mate..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Jesus you're getting taken for an absolute ride mate. Stand up for yourself. It is NOT ok for you to be paying the full mortgage while she gets a free house and you have to couch surf.

Tell her you're moving back in unless she contributes jointly to your jointly owned home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Stop paying the mortgage and surrender the house to the bank if she won't get out.
    There isn't a family court judge in the country that would order you to pay 100% of a mortgage.
    Obviously effects your credit rating but at least you'd be able to afford rent which you can't do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,631 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

We have a child under 18 so i couldnt get her out as child would more than likely go with her if a court rules..

Well then make her pay towards it.

You are paying a mortgage on a house you can't live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Go talk to a solicitor. You have options for the house.

You certainly have options on the custody front.

You won't find answers on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

You need the other Owner to agree to sell the property. You never know when a next baby will be along. Next in line would be bring a case to court which will be costly. Lastly you put yourself into bankruptcy and in a few years you get to move on but never be able to get a loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Pay for some proper legal advice. That's money well spent, you will then know what your options etc. are. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Go get some legal advice, its possible she has been told to sit tight which had you have gone to see a solicitor before now they would have told you the same.

Personally I would exhaust all mediation avenues before allowing this to go the court route. Speak to the bank yourself. But whatever you do do not stop paying the mortgage, that loan is jointly yours and if you stop paying it will affect your credit as much as hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It’s not your half either.
    One-third hers.
    One-third the child’s. If she’s under 23 and still in education I believe.
    One-third yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Get advice from a solicitor.

Doing stupid things by listening to people on the internet and not proper legal advice (and due to the under 18yo child), the law will probably view it as the "family home", and ensure you pay the mortgage until the child hits 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Your paying the mortgage for 9 years now, move back in and refuse to leave. She's taking advantage of you and will keep doing so.

I assume you're also paying maintenance?

Go and seek legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

What does your ex propose yous do? Is it possible to sell it to the Local Authority but have your ex stay in as a local authority tenant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Brianmwalker

Take the 3 months mortgage break if you can. Use one month for a deposit, one month for rent and one month for a solicitor. Good luck.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

This is more suited to another forum (not sure which one though).
    I believe that the parent has an onus to provide accommodation for his/her children until the age of 18, or while they are in normal fulltime education.

OP- you need to contact a reasonable family law solicitor and get everything properly sorted- the current situation is unsustainable and ultimately will benefit no-one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

You really need to talk to a solicitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

What does your ex propose yous do? Is it possible to sell it to the Local Authority but have your ex stay in as a local authority tenant?

She just refuses to budge on anything.Wont sell or move so that's why I was hoping I could maybe sell my share or something so I can move on.I really do t wana walk away the house is in near 150k equity..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

She just refuses to budge on anything.Wont sell or move so that's why I was hoping I could maybe sell my share or something so I can move on.I really do t wana walk away the house is in near 150k equity..

You dont/wont have to walk away but its going to be a long process.

The fact that the house is in positive equity is a good thing.

Are you sure you cant buy her out? I would speak to the bank and see what your options are with this. You may be surprised.

The solicitor will more than likely tell you to move back in. If you move back in it could hurry the process and the plus side being you will be with your child. You should try and encourage mum to engage, this wont end well for either of you once you hand control over to the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭stinkbomb

It’s not your half either.
    One-third hers.
    One-third the child’s. If she’s under 23 and still in education I believe.
    One-third yours.

This is nonsense. Children of homeowners don't own a part of the home.

stinkbomb wrote: »
    This is nonsense. Children of homeowners don't own a part of the home.

But I read it on boards.ie
    It must be true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

mickuhaha wrote: »
    You need the other Owner to agree to sell the property. You never know when a next baby will be along. Next in line would be bring a case to court which will be costly. Lastly you put yourself into bankruptcy and in a few years you get to move on but never be able to get a loan.

Do an Ivan Yeats and 'live' in Wales for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

Elessar wrote: »
    Jesus you're getting taken for an absolute ride mate. Stand up for yourself. It is NOT ok for you to be paying the full mortgage while she gets a free house and you have to couch surf.

Tell her you're moving back in unless she contributes jointly to your jointly owned home.

There's a child involved mate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

dude, you are being rode silly here by your ex.

it will be seen that you left the home. Judges will then try keep her in situ cos you seem happy enough to coach surf.
    It's not your fault your ex can't afford x,y and z - that's her issue.

Move back in , suck up the pain and get the legal crowd involved and sort it asap

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Move in, then put the house for sale. Moving out gives her more ownership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

But I read it on boards.ie
    It must be true

Seconded! Boards.ie is Gospel!

Advertisement