Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to clean equipment

Options
  • 12-08-2020 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

I am currently using Star San to sanitize my equipment and PBW to clean it.

I am happy enough with the Star San but the PBW is very expensive so I am wondering what else to use instead.

I have searched previous threads on here and seen that some people were using OxiClean from Lidl but I have checked my local Lidl and Aldi and I haven't seen any.

Is there another product that I can use or is there anywhere else that I can get OxiClean?

Also I am having trouble cleaning my auto-siphon. It is large and so does not fit into the bucket with my other equipment when I am cleaning or sanitizing. Instead I have been siphoning the PBW in hot water through it and leaving it for about 10 minutes. Then I syphon some hot water through it to rinse it out. Then when I am about to use it again I just siphon some Star San through it.

But I am starting to see some spots of moisture in it so I am not sure if this method is correct.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭basskebab

I get my oxi-clean from get er brewed
    https://www.geterbrewed.ie/chemipro-oxi-clean-no-rinse-steriliser/
    dunno if that's cheaper then the PBW you're buying

For the auto-syphon. I take off the silicone tube and run boiling water through that (don't do that through the plastic body as the rubber seal can get damaged easily). Then clean the rest of the it with starsan by pumping it through

To stop those water spots you'll need to leave it out in a sunny place to dry. Hang up the silicone tube and take apart the pipe and leave standing up. It'll dry completely after a day or so out

Advertisement