Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nick Cave: 'cancel culture is bad religion run amuck'

Options
  • 12-08-2020 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

Nick Cave says that cancel culture is bad religion run amuck. He adds that

“Political correctness has grown to become the unhappiest religion in the world,” he wrote. “Its once honourable attempt to reimagine our society in a more equitable way now embodies all the worst aspects that religion has to offer (and none of the beauty) – moral certainty and self-righteousness shorn even of the capacity for redemption.”

He added that "cancel culture’s refusal to engage with uncomfortable ideas had an asphyxiating effect on the creative soul of a society, and that creativity could knock at foundational beliefs and in doing so generate fresh ways of seeing the world."

I think he is right here, the cancel culture warriors are like the fanatical catholic of old. They have no pity and no regard for those who have stepped from the doctrine. They are sure of their vision and righteous in their indignation.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/aug/12/nick-cave-political-correctness-bad-religion-run-amuck-cancel-culture

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

I think both Nick Cave and the Guardian are a bit late to that party.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The only celeb I trust on the topic
    KISS front man Gene Simmons thinks it’s time for celebrities to keep their political opinions to themselves:

“I think celebrities should basically shut their pie holes and do what they do best - act, sing, tap dance... all that kind of stuff”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I think 'cancel culture' is a bull**** term used by people uncomfortable with change, long needed change.
    Each incident is taken on a case by case basis. You can't say 'we should stop doing X, because cancel culture'.
    Using 'cancel culture' is like SJW or snowflake. It's ignorant and dismisses a conversation before it's started.
    'Cancel culture' isn't a movement. The dam broke so we are seeing a lot of criticism on things and people. It's a lot because a lot of **** has been bubbling for generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I think he is right here, the cancel culture warriors are like the fanatical catholic of old. They have no pity and no regard for those who have stepped from the doctrine. They are sure of their vision and righteous in their indignation.

Or, rather more likely, Nick Cave is a bit like the old Hierarchy of the Catholic Church who want to maintain their privileged position in society by turning the plebs against one another rather than allowing for the idea that people are capable of thinking for themselves without his guidance and the values that he imagines are essential to society, the kind of society he’s familiar with at least.

I like Nick Caves music, but I wish he’d just stick to the music, because what he said just makes him sound like an old fart who doesn’t like the way society is changing around him, same as all the rest of the names on that list in the article you linked to - “freedom of speech and freedom of ideas, but only the ones we agree with already”. That’s not what freedom actually means.

Cracking tune this is though -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

Bowie wrote: »
    It's ignorant and dismisses a conversation before it's started.

Yes that is what cancel culture does. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

It's akin to McCarthyism or its equivalent in the Soviet Union where people like Boris Pasternak were hounded out of public life. It can be quite arbitrary and unfair who gets selected to have their livelihood and public standing destroyed for some perceived transgression.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I think 'cancel culture' is a bull**** term used by people uncomfortable with change, long needed change.
    Each incident is taken on a case by case basis. You can't say 'we should stop doing X, because cancel culture'.
    Using 'cancel culture' is like SJW or snowflake. It's ignorant and dismisses a conversation before it's started.
    'Cancel culture' isn't a movement. The dam broke so we are seeing a lot of criticism on things and people. It's a lot because a lot of **** has been bubbling for generations.

How about rock stars who **** kids, should they be cancelled?

Bambi wrote: »

No. They should be prosecuted according to law

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe the invention of cancel culture - Nikolai Yezhov cancelled.

Yezhov-before-and-after.jpg

growleaves wrote: »
    It's akin to McCarthyism or its equivalent in the Soviet Union where people like Boris Pasternak were hounded out of public life. It can be quite arbitrary and unfair who gets selected to have their livelihood and public standing destroyed for some perceived transgression.

It's nothing like that. Using terms like 'cancel culture' is akin to mccarthyism. May as well call everyone commie pinkos because you cant pinch arses in work anymore.

• Advertisement

Nothing progressive about a seething mob, vigilante amateur "journalism", the disproportionality of ruining a life or career for an ill thought out comment and the many ugly behaviours that round out that set.

Black mirror episode "hated in the nation" playing out in real life.

May as well call everyone commie pinkos because you cant pinch arses in work anymore.

Comments like that debase a legitimate concern in the very same way you complained about the use of SJW or snowflake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

It's nothing like that. Using terms like 'cancel culture' is akin to mccarthyism. May as well call everyone commie pinkos because you cant pinch arses in work anymore.

You're creating a ridiculous strawman here.

Are you actually saying that cancel culture does not exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

biko wrote: »
    The only celeb I trust on the topic

I agree!

Same goes for Doctors, they should just stick to doing medical stuff instead of giving their opinions on things. Obviously we need to include the Gardai in that, and fire fighters, oh and I suppose the nurses too. Teachers will need to shut up too.

And how about those uneducated people working in Centra, call centres, garages and everything. Sure what do they know about politics?

Also there's a beautiful irony in that Gene Simmons himself -frequently- discusses politics

https://loudwire.com/gene-simmons-predicts-landslide-victory-trump-2020/

Simple enough question Bowie, should pederast rock stars be cancelled?

How about their fans?

How about their fans?

They should be behind bars if guilty.

i_surge wrote: »
    They should be behind bars if guilty.

Okay thanks, but I wasn't asking you. :o

A stern talking to in the least.
    Up to the individual. That's my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Your post offends me, you shouldn't be allowed to post any more, this is progress.

Glazers Out!

How about their fans?

You seem to have a bee in your bonnet there horse.

• Advertisement

nullzero wrote: »
    Your post offends me, you shouldn't be allowed to post any more, this is progress.

No that's not progress at all. If you can point out where I offended you I'll be sure to apologize, should I feel the need.

°°°°°

No that's not progress at all.

Because it's you being cancelled?

You suggested that anyone using term "cancel culture" is ignorant, that's offensive.

Glazers Out!

Because it's you being cancelled?

You seem irate. Should I call you a snowflake and ignore you?

Okay thanks, but I wasn't asking you. :o

It's a discussion forum??

°°°°°

You seem irate. Should I call you a snowflake and ignore you?

I'm irate?

As soon as I used the logic of cancel culture against you, you disagreed with it.

Glazers Out!

I'm irate?

As soon as I used the logic of cancel culture against you, you disagreed with it.

You didnt read my comments. If you are upset by my comment point out where and if I agree, I'll apologise. If I dont I won't. Up to the individual. You can chose to stop watching my films n ****e ;)

You seem to have a bee in your bonnet there horse.

I just find it funny, someone rocking a pederast username and avatar while spouting on about "much need change"

Seems a tad...odd.

I just find it funny, someone rocking a pederast username and avatar while spouting on about "much need change"

Seems a tad...odd.

Not if you understood my posts. Case by case basis. Up to the individual. You seem to be supporting this cancel culture myth.

The thing about "much needed change" is whatever is going on is not working and only making things worse, many factors, a complex problem but this theme is a sizeable part of the societal decay that has happened in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,514 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Who is Nick Cave and why should we care about his opinion?

Advertisement