Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nick Cave: 'cancel culture is bad religion run amuck'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

i_surge wrote: »
    Any chance you all might discuss the topic in a bit more depth? Schoolyard stuff

Its going to be a thread about giving out about women, muslims and blacks. Getting it too much their own way and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Bowie wrote: »
    You didnt read my comments. If you are upset by my comment point out where and if I agree, I'll apologise. If I dont I won't. Up to the individual. You can chose to stop watching my films n ****e ;)

What is it with people saying things like "you didn't read my comments"? I clearly read your comments. I disagree with your opinion that cancel culture is some sort of organic manifestation of things that should be happening and have been threatening to happen for a long time. It's complete nonsense.

I don't expect you to apologise for anything, I think you are a loon but in my opinion you have every right to be a loon, just because you're saying something I disagree with doesn't mean you shouldn't be allowed to say it.

I thought it was pretty clear that I was lampooning the thought process (if it could be described as such) behind cancel culture.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Augme

Genuinely can't take any adult seriously when they use the phrase cancel culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

It's just yet another new term which is thrown around constantly as a way to disagree with some criticism without actually engaging in any meaningful way.

Rather ironically the term also tends to be bandied about by conservatives and religious types who for the most part have been engaging in organised and consistent 'cancelling' for literal millennia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

Its going to be a thread about giving out about women, muslims and blacks. Getting it too much their own way and the like.

Don't be so defeatist. Stop rushing to judgements and open your mind and ears a bit.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Is anyone who disagrees with you probably wearing a MAGA cap as well?

Glazers Out!

biko wrote: »
    The only celeb I trust on the topic

Why? To use both directors and musicians as an example, plenty of the biggest in history have made expressing political views a central part of their works. Some people hold deeply political views and express them.

i_surge wrote: »
    Comments like that debase a legitimate concern in the very same way you complained about the use of SJW or snowflake.

My criticism of his calling cancel culture or people having a say, many for the first time, mccarthyism is debasing a legitimate concern? I disagree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Cancel culture is a load of bolloxology, anyone who wants to ruin someone's future because they're offended by a few words or opinions need help.
    Or else their upbringing was sh17 because I remember my parents being tough and my old man helped me to be able for banter and ridicule.

There's a reason why movie's and comedians are certified for age's.

If you're immature highly sensitive best you just ignore anything that's offensive or else spend a few thousand on a good therapist and gain some life skills.

Or just fck off and stop ruining it for everyone else.

nullzero wrote: »
    Is anyone who disagrees with you probably wearing a MAGA cap as well?

Where are you going with this?

• Advertisement

ronivek wrote: »
    It's just yet another new term which is thrown around constantly as a way to disagree with some criticism without actually engaging in any meaningful way.

Rather ironically the term also tends to be bandied about by conservatives and religious types who for the most part have been engaging in organised and consistent 'cancelling' for literal millennia.

I disagree...that is lazy thinking.

There is a trend of people being cancelled or punished in some way, usually judgement comes from mob rule, sometimes it is right, most times there is reasonable doubt. I couldn't be further from the conservative religious right and I disagree with it all out of principle. I would like my concerns to be listened to and not lazily dismissed.

Same as "whataboutery", a clever tactic to dismiss good arguments with a single word.

nthclare wrote: »
    Cancel culture is a load of bolloxology, anyone who wants to ruin someone's future because they're offended by a few words or opinions need help.
    Or else their upbringing was sh17 because I remember my parents being tough and my old man helped me to be able for banter and ridicule.

If you're immature highly sensitive best you just ignore anything that's offensive or else spend a few thousand on a good therapist and gain some life skills.

Agreed.
    I dont see any memo going around telling me to not watch this or that.
    People will decide themselves.

nthclare wrote: »

It is a cancerous thing. There are at least a few shows on netflix with the storyline of clever teen destroying the life of the perceived villain with a few taps on their phone and the power of social media.

Kids watch that and grow up thinking that is how life should be.

°°°°°

Where are you going with this?

You're questioning the efficacy of what I said when you just posted a diatribe against anyone disagreeing with your stance on this topic?

"These people don't like X so the obviously have a problem with Y and Z", absolutely laughable.

Glazers Out!

You're questioning the efficacy of what I said when you just posted a diatribe against anyone disagreeing with your stance on this topic?

"These people don't like X so the obviously have a problem with Y and Z", absolutely laughable.

Do you think when people post their opinion they are giving your orders or speaking in absolutes?

That's what your MAGA hat inference came across as alright.

°°°°°

Do you think when people post their opinion they are giving your orders or speaking in absolute?

That's what your MAGA hat inference came across as alright.

Giving me orders? What are you talking about.

You posted your opinion on the topic and I posted mine in response. If you're saying now that you don't actually hold that opinion then why did you post it to begin with?

You posted saying and I quote "Its going to be a thread about giving out about women, muslims and blacks. Getting it too much their own way and the like."

What are you trying to communicate with that statement exactly? To me it says that if someone disagrees with you on this topic they obviously don't have any respect for women or minorities. You are filling in the blanks and profiling people based on their opinion on one topic. Or did you not really mean that either?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I think 'cancel culture' is a bull**** term used by people uncomfortable with change, long needed change.
    Each incident is taken on a case by case basis. You can't say 'we should stop doing X, because cancel culture'.
    Using 'cancel culture' is like SJW or snowflake. It's ignorant and dismisses a conversation before it's started.
    'Cancel culture' isn't a movement. The dam broke so we are seeing a lot of criticism on things and people. It's a lot because a lot of **** has been bubbling for generations.

Its almost like people just dont want their ****ty behaviour called out so go on the offensive against the real bad guy, the person telling them not to do **** like sexually assault people...............

Its almost like people just dont want their ****ty behaviour called out so go on the offensive against the real bad guy, the person telling them not to do **** like sexually assault people...............

Too Dramatic

What about the non sex offending types who have been cancelled in various ways?

Giving me orders? What are you talking about.

You posted your opinion on the topic and I posted mine in response. If you're saying now that you don't actually hold that opinion then why did you post it to begin with?

You posted saying and I quote "Its going to be a thread about giving out about women, muslims and blacks. Getting it too much their own way and the like."

What are you trying to communicate with that statement exactly? To me it says that if someone disagrees with you on this topic they obviously don't have any respect for women or minorities. You are filling in the blanks and profiling people based on their opinion on one topic. Or did you not really mean that either?

I gave an opinion and explained it.
    You took offence seemingly.
    Its communicating how people are in a hurry to shut down any opinion they disagree with, which is ironic.
    Now you are inferring things on my behalf and criticising those things. You dont need me at all you're arguing with yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Have to get back to basics in the education system start teaching kids

'Sticks and stones may break my bones
    But words will never hurt me.:

&

Having a hard neck.

Holding people responsible for other people's feelings is crazy and far to subjective

• Advertisement

Have to agree, all though most are indeed predictable (shows how deep the ideological alignment problem goes), many have intelligent considered views that you should try to listen to first before assuming. Otherwise it is an absolute race to the bottom.

Lazy characterisation, not acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

But you're just deciding that that's what people mean by "cancel culture" (stupid phrase I agree).

This is a disturbing example for those of us who aren't into condoning racism or sexism or homophobia but disagree with lies and shutting down respectful discussion: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/dec/18/judge-rules-against-charity-worker-who-lost-job-over-transgender-tweets

°°°°°

I gave an opinion and explained it.
    You took offence seemingly.
    Its communicating how people are in a hurry to shut down any opinion they disagree with, which is ironic.
    Now you are inferring things on my behalf and criticising those things. You dont need me at all you're arguing with yourself.

I already stated that when I stated you had offended me I wasn't being serious and I was lampooning the logic employed by those intent on cancelling others.

The whole point at first went way over your head and then after I explained it to you (which I'm assuming you didn't read) you still saw fit to appropriate it at face value.

As for not needing you at all? You're having your own discussion anyway, completely ignoring what I've said to you.

Glazers Out!

Agreed.
    I dont see any memo going around telling me to not watch this or that.
    People will decide themselves.

Therapy is amazing, because it actually helps a lot of SJWs and lefty liberals types get well.

I've seen people who were highly sensitive and very timid get confidence back and leave all that shoite behind then.

It's a few tweaks of their world views and opinions, and for them to realise that it's best to ignore bullies, and look after their own well being.

If a lot of these people got professional help they'ed realize they're brain washed.

Look at the power Trump has, one random tweet and people's blood pressure goes nuts, or a maga hat...

Holding people responsible for other people's feelings is crazy and far to subjective

Depends what you say, there are limits, but the permaoffended are almost mentally ill.

The "so you are saying" crowd.

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death my right to try to get you fired from your job and have your life - and maybe that of your extended family - ruined because you posted something relatively innocuous on social media.

Kinda seems like where we are right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Who is Nick Cave and why should we care about his opinion?

A very famous musician.

Should you care about his opinion? Maybe not, but I think he's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

The backlash against this insufferable culture that is devoid of talent, humour, creativity that has infested political parties in the US and UK (destroying the Labour Party and the Lib Dems) media, movies, comedy, gaming, and now sport is going to be swift and severe on account of the economic realities that now face all these industries and what is coming in November in the US.

These are surreal times. T

Ben and Jerry's, ya the US ice cream maker owned by Unilever, have been lecturing the elected British Government about their policy on illegal immigrants...mind you, the response was fairly swift and severe...

"Priti (Patel, Home Secretary) is working day and night to bring an end to these small boat crossings, which are facilitated by international criminal gangs and are rightly of serious concern to the British people,” said a Home Office source.

“If that means upsetting the social media team for a brand of overpriced junk food, then so be it.”....Ouch!!!!!!

They should hire that feminist Ad Executive that Gillette hired...you know the one whose ad was lauded all over media but ended up costing Gillette Billions in revenue...she'd have no problem reaching Ben and Jerrys target demographic!!!

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death my right to try to get you fired from your job and have your life - and maybe that of your extended family - ruined because you posted something relatively innocuous on social media.

Kinda seems like where we are right now.

That's why social media is a cesspit.

Even working in big companies where there's a lot of liberals, you're caught between a rock and a hard place.

There's this one I know, she's a right cun7 and if you've no opinion or just nonchalant about a subject, she'll get offended and try to draw you for an argument.
    I remember one girl who had no opinion on the abortion refferundum getting a lot of crap because she wasn't going to choose a side.

This see you next Tuesday was asking everyone what they were voting, I just don't really bother with her and her coven of cucks and empaths.
    So I was staying well away lol

• Advertisement

The backlash against this insufferable culture that is devoid of talent, humour, creativity that has infested political parties in the US and UK (destroying the Labour Party and the Lib Dems) media, movies, comedy, gaming, and now sport is going to be swift and severe on account of the economic realities that now face all these industries and what is coming in November in the US.

These are surreal times. T

Ben and Jerry's, ya the US ice cream maker owned by Unilever, have been lecturing the elected British Government about their policy on illegal immigrants...mind you, the response was fairly swift and severe...

"Priti (Patel, Home Secretary) is working day and night to bring an end to these small boat crossings, which are facilitated by international criminal gangs and are rightly of serious concern to the British people,” said a Home Office source.

“If that means upsetting the social media team for a brand of overpriced junk food, then so be it.”....Ouch!!!!!!

They should hire that feminist Ad Executive that Gillette hired...you know the one whose ad was lauded all over media but ended up costing Gillette Billions in revenue...she'd have no problem reaching Ben and Jerrys target demographic!!!

Excuse the pun,but that advertising campaign proved a point on third wave femminism lol

The first wave feminists were cool, but the rest seem to have a right chip on their shoulder.

Advertisement