Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nick Cave: 'cancel culture is bad religion run amuck'

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

They're trying to get Ellen DeGeneres cancelled now too lads ye'll be very upset to learn.

Classical liberals believe in free speech and the right to overthrow tyrants. Mad concept eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

Bowie wrote: »
    I think 'cancel culture' is a bull**** term used by people uncomfortable with change, long needed change.
    Each incident is taken on a case by case basis. You can't say 'we should stop doing X, because cancel culture'.
    Using 'cancel culture' is like SJW or snowflake. It's ignorant and dismisses a conversation before it's started.
    'Cancel culture' isn't a movement. The dam broke so we are seeing a lot of criticism on things and people. It's a lot because a lot of **** has been bubbling for generations.

So "change" is good? Before someone else says what about the Nazis coming to power in Germany (I will :) ).

Being accused of a transgression and being fired without sufficient or an opportunity to apologize or explain is a common enough theme in "cancel culture". But this just doesn't apply to famous "privileged" media personalities, also ordinary people like the truck driver Emmanuel Cafferty - falsely accused of making a "white power" symbol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

donaghs wrote: »
    So "change" is good? Before someone else says what about the Nazis coming to power in Germany (I will :) ).

Being accused of a transgression and being fired without sufficient or an opportunity to apologize or explain is a common enough theme in "cancel culture". But this just doesn't apply to famous "privileged" media personalities, also ordinary people like the truck driver Emmanuel Cafferty - falsely accused of making a "white power" symbol.

You are over simplifying everything here.
    Change is only good if a bad thing is being dispensed with.

I think you are talking about unfair dismissal. You can sue over that.

So cancel culture isn't about celebrities at all?

Who is supporting anyone being falsely accused of a crime?

Advertisement