Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time insurance in 1.5L Petrol

• 13-08-2020 12:13am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hello, jumping the gun a bit here as I have my last EDT lesson coming up and have the test booked but intend on buying a car straight after if I pass.

Now I know its best practice to get a little 1.0L first and wait for the experience before moving up. The thing is I'm in my mid 30s and a dad to a kid with mobility issues so small hatches would just be a nightmare.

Have been looking at Crossovers for the extra bit of height/space and there's the odd 1.2 etc about but they do seem to be mostly available in 1.5L here. Looking mostly at 2016-2019 model Nissan Jukes, Renault Capturs and Peugeot 2008. 1.5 is the most common engine available it seems. Can't really afford to stretch the budget out to brand new car to get the engine size bang on.

Would it scupper the chances of getting insured/would I be paying insane money for it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

A pupil of mine bought and insured a BMW 1 series. 2015. Early 30s. Think he paid €1200 for insurance.

Best bet is to pick out cars you like and ring around for quotes. As someone over 35 with a full clean licence onto the policy as a named driver if you can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

A pupil of mine bought and insured a BMW 1 series. 2015. Early 30s. Think he paid €1200 for insurance.

Best bet is to pick out cars you like and ring around for quotes. As someone over 35 with a full clean licence onto the policy as a named driver if you can.

Thanks. €1200 or so wouldn't bother me at all. It's the wackier €3,000+ quotes you'd hear about that are off-putting. Unfortunately the named driver route is not an option. I'll be hoping for the best anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

Thanks. €1200 or so wouldn't bother me at all. It's the wackier €3,000+ quotes you'd hear about that are off-putting. Unfortunately the named driver route is not an option. I'll be hoping for the best anyway.

You don’t know anyone with a full licence over 35? They may never drive you car

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Don't focus too much on engine size. Older larger cars were cheaper for me to insure, so look for what may be suitable, in your price range. Just pick out a range of cars and submit them for quotes. You might be better off trying to run it through an insurance broker too.

What might be a problem for you is, you are still only on a learner permit. They won't quote you, anticipating you've passed the test. They'll also need the issue date of the driving license.

Advertisement