Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prawn tails still in shells... ideas?

• 13-08-2020 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Picked up a load of Dublin bay prawn tails yesterday in Howth... but I’m not sure what to do with them.
    Shells are very hard, through a few in with garlic, chilli and butter earlier and they were lovely. Hoping to make a risotto tonight with them but shelling them is very time consuming.
    Any tips ideas etc welcomed

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod note: Moved to main Food forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Picked up a load of Dublin bay prawn tails yesterday in Howth... but I’m not sure what to do with them.
    Shells are very hard, through a few in with garlic, chilli and butter earlier and they were lovely. Hoping to make a risotto tonight with them but shelling them is very time consuming.
    Any tips ideas etc welcomed

I've no help for you I'm afraid.
    I got them in shells at Christmas and severely underestimated how long it takes to remove from shells.
    I've never tasted prawns as nice and I'd definitely get them again.

I think remember, getting the knife in the underbelly at a slant, and breaking off the other side. Then kind of wiggle the knife to get it out.
    I remember thinking you'd need a narrow knife for the job and definitely a helper!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This looks like a good guide here... they are also called langoustines:
    https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/how-to-prepare-langoustines/

I think a sharp curved scissors works in place of the kitchen knife.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Cut them in half, remove the vein and cook in their shells as that has a bunch of flavor. I always like mine with a simple linguine like the one below from the BBC good food. For extra indulgence add some cream.......right I am off to my fishmonger to grab myself some now as I fancy a linguine now, maybe I will add a couple scallops

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chilli-prawn-linguine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Take the tail and squeeze the sides inwards with your fingers until the middle part snaps.
    Once you have done that, you can pull the sides apart until the shell cracks along the back.
    Do this at the end that would have been attached to the body, you need to crack about 3-4 segments to get it properly free.

Advertisement