Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The worst junction in Ireland

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Killaloe/Birdhill anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

I've never encountered it (that I know of) but just out of curiosuity - how is that dangerous? It's a crossroads and looks fairly well marked?

For example, this is the same junction, but the road is in bits, so theoretically it's worse? Or am i overlooking something?

but a Councillor said it was , so it must be.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The one at the end of the main street? That's a curse. Hate driving it.

Thats the one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

kapisko1PL wrote: »
    You can pretty much use the left lane to go around the roundabout as many times as you want and the person on the inside lane has to give way to you if you're in the outside lane if that person wants to get off? It's a pretty common practice in Poland for example where people who intend to leave on exit 3 for example take the left lane and whoever is on the inside has to give way. (That's assuming polish and Irish drive in the same side ��)

But thats the way most drivers in Ireland operate. Right of way is a minor inconvenience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The junction at Kilross outside Stranorlar on the N13. It’s a T junction but traffic travelling from Derry to Ballybofey/Donegal town direction on the N13 have to stop and give way to traffic coming from or going to Convoy on the R236. It’s the most infuriating junction I know of. A roundabout is so badly needed on it to prevent the long tail backs in the evenings and there is ample room for one but no, Donegal CoCo would rather have a junction where traffic on a national primary route have to stop and give way to traffic on a local regional road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

kapisko1PL wrote: »
    It's not the case in other countries though, is it? You can pretty much use the left lane to go around the roundabout as many times as you want and the person on the inside lane has to give way to you if you're in the outside lane if that person wants to get off? It's a pretty common practice in Poland for example where people who intend to leave on exit 3 for example take the left lane and whoever is on the inside has to give way. (That's assuming polish and Irish drive in the same side ��)

Why have an inside lane at all then, if anyone taking it will be cut-off by people taking the outside lane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The junction at Kilross outside Stranorlar on the N13. It’s a T junction but traffic travelling from Derry to Ballybofey/Donegal town direction on the N13 have to stop and give way to traffic coming from or going to Convoy on the R236. It’s the most infuriating junction I know of. A roundabout is so badly needed on it to prevent the long tail backs in the evenings and there is ample room for one but no, Donegal CoCo would rather have a junction where traffic on a national primary route have to stop and give way to traffic on a local regional road.
    I could never figure out why they haven't put a roundabout their either. It's been the same for the past 40 years and is particularly bad on big match days (although they often put a Garda there to help).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Another vote for Walkinstown Roundabout.
    I lived just off kylemore road for a few years so it was almost literally on my doorstep.
    How there arent more accidents I'll never know. Morons (usually auld ones in k11 micras) going the entire way round in the outermost lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

antodeco wrote: »
    Ah but when you have 3 lanes people are clueless!

Ive had a few near misses on that roundabout from people in the left lane taking the 4th exit.

Left lane: exit 1 and 2
    Middle Lane: Exit 3 and 4
    Right lane Exit 5 and 6

I don't that place at all, but looking at the link, and then going to Google Satellite view shows me that - like every other roundabout in Ireland - it's the signage thats poor.

You have 3 lanes coming onto the roundabout - but zero info on that on the signage in advance.

The UK is better in that regard, in that the signage indicates the no of lanes.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3171562,-6.3330034,101m/data=!3m1!1e3

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

It's a pity they didn't build the Magic roundabout here, the craic would be mighty.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/904hq2/the_magic_roundabout_swindon_england/

The Walkinstown roundabout never really caused me any problems.

Enniscorthy was a bastard until the bypass was opened. Not so much now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Agree with the semicircleabout (what a brilliant word!) in Donnybrook - I'm a regular there, and no matter which way you approach it there's nearly guaranteed to be some gob****e blocking the whole thing. Drives me nuts!

One I haven't seen mentioned is Kelly's Corner, where the SCR feeds onto Camden Street. There's about 15 feet of footpath, but the traffic lanes are so narrow that buses or trucks (of which there are many at rush hour!!) have to commander both lanes in order to physically get around the corner. It's been made even worse lately with the cycle lane markers they've installed, even cars are squeezing each other out. If we ever get back to full traffic volumes in the winter, it'll be proper gridlock :(

I have vague memories of driving lessons involving the Walkinstown roundabout.... if you came out of it alive, it made for a fantastic training ground, there's very little else that's quite as intimidating to approach!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It's a pity they didn't build the Magic roundabout here, the craic would be mighty.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/904hq2/the_magic_roundabout_swindon_england/

:eek: :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Fcuck it. I’m bored with all the serious threads and thought of a family story that kind of (bit of a stretch) fits into this thread. If it happened on father ted people would say it is too far fetched but it’s true.

My dad used to be a financial controller of a bacon factory and took his two weeks holiday at the same time as the builders holiday,so end of July or start of August I think.

I must have been 7, cause it was the year after a family trip to France when I was in senior infants. My father came home on the Friday after work and hitched the caravan up and parents, two grandparents and me and brother set off from North Tipp for Forrest park outside Boyle. My dad literally has no shame and just outside Athlone he decides he is too tired to continue and had the greatest idea to find a space for the caravan for the night. You have to remember that this is mid 80s so no lamps lighting up the road and no lights from houses. So basically all there was were the headlights of a fiat Mira feuri. He found what he thought was a lovely bit of grass on a bend and pulled in the car. No one else was around so why not. He put the stabilisers on the caravan and then the awning tent to the side. My grandparents and mother were in the caravan and da, brother and me in the awning. All good so far.

It was not until a couple of hours later when lights beamed in and seemed to circle the caravan over and over again with every few seconds bottles thrown at the awning. My dad instructed everyone to be quiet as we were under attack. After a while it stopped.

We only realised the next morning that instead of parking in a secluded country spot, the fcucking gob****e had set up camp on a big roundabout. The lights circling were obviously cars coming from the pub or disco and the bottles thrown were because the locals assumed that it was the start of an illegal encampment. My grandfather burst into a tirade saying ‘you’ve turned us into fcucking itinerants.’.

The story was in my grandads eulogy and was such a welcome bit of entertainment. I reckon that is the worst road junction my da had to live down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Sorry, bad link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

I faced this once in Heathrow

https://goo.gl/maps/tmq4eMghACeWtZ9h6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

I remember when i was living in Harrolds cross I would be hitting that canal bridge there at 7:15 and youd be lucky if you moved in 10 mins of sitting there, i always found that stretch in the morning between there and christchurch cathedral to be hell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Read the title and instantly thought of Walkinstown Roundabout. It’s just a crazy junction where it seems most drivers don’t know how to negotiate it.

Seems to be an epidemic in Ireland in terms of roundabouts anyway, using the wrong lane, not indicating, driving straight across instead of snaking around the roundabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The Church St/ Bridge St/ Linenhall St junction in Dundalk is some puzzle.
    Designed by Stevie Wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Anjobe

cml387 wrote: »
    I faced this once in Heathrow

https://goo.gl/maps/tmq4eMghACeWtZ9h6

There are a few of those magic roundabout junctions in the UK, one in Swindon and one in Hemel Hempstead that I am aware of. While drivers report that they find them stressful and confusing, they have been shown to have higher traffic throughput and lower accident rates than the more conventional junctions they replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dennyk

callaway92 wrote: »
    Killaloe/Birdhill anyone?

Which junction do you mean? The motorway junction is dead simple, and doesn't even have as much conflicting traffic as most dual-roundabout junctions since it's effectively a T-intersection at the end of the R494 (so no local traffic using it at all, only folks coming on and off the motorway). The only thing that's mildly inconvenient is the odd lost tourist who's coming off the motorway to the Applegreen but doesn't understand how right turn lanes work and decides to block up the road instead, but it's a lightly trafficked interchange anyway, so that's not common.

I assume you don't mean the Birdhill roundabout, since that's just a bog standard four-exit roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Do not get people mentioning the Walkinstown roundabout. Yes it's a big roundabout with many exits but it works as it's supposed to and of the six roads converging, the traffic flow never stops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Do not get people mentioning the Walkinstown roundabout. Yes it's a big roundabout with many exits but it works as it's supposed to and of the six roads converging, the traffic flow never stops.

Thats the problem if you haven't come across it before or you're a learner. When you get there all you see is a continuous flow of traffic going around it. I know it so I know the story and should wait for the slightest break and just go for it but for a new arrival to it I can easily imagine its quite intimidating.

Trying to turn right in Bandon coming in from the Inishannon side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Blake's Cross (Lusk, Co Dublin).

Very unsettling for cyclists travelling southbound on the R132 as a new lane begins for traffic emerging from the R127 (Lusk). Cyclists end up in a horrible 'no man's land' between 2 lanes of fast moving vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

The whole of Portlaoise as it’s nothing but roundabouts :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Turning right from Dawn Meats onto the N25 in the direction of Waterford. A junction from the foulest section of the Devils imagination.

Advertisement