Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glasnevin North

Options
  • 13-08-2020 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello,

I'm interested to hear people's view on the area? I know there is debate on whether the area is actually Finglas or Ballymun but I don't care about that. I'm more concerned about the area itself what it's like to live in and if it's good place to raise a family. Also wondering about sense of community? Does any one know of any residents association or community groups in the area? In particular the area around Willow Park.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

Willow Park, to me, is Glasnevin. I don't live there but a relative does. It seems nice. A lot of older inhabitants and, like most areas, some youths that can get up to a bit of messing but overall I think it's a grand area.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

It is actually a lovely place. Maybe you could join Ballymun Kickhams (if you watch the documentary last night).
    It is serviced quite well with buses and is close to DCU and Hampsted/Albert College Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I was looking in that area last year, we decided to go for Phibsborough but would have no concerns about Willow Park.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

A good friend from my college days grew up in Willow Park. It’s a nice, quiet, settled area and very convenient for the DCU campus. They are very solid, well-built 1960s era houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭THEDONWALDO

Willow Park is a lovely area, well served by public transport and lots of amenities nearby. I would move back there in a heartbeat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Expensive at least 450k for anything not needing a full refurbishment its lovely very good public transport and near very good schools.

Older well off settled Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

A colleague of mine used to rent around there (he had gone to DCU and stayed around the area)
    He used to joke that he would get up go for a jog, shower have breakfast and cycle into work in town, and be there before others in the office who wer commuting from Gorey, and Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Soundpal

Thanks everyone! All sounds v positive which is good as we just went sale agreed in the area!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Orchids

Congratulations on your new home!

Soundpal wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! All sounds v positive which is good as we just went sale agreed in the area!

I'm from there. Absolutely lovely area and you couldn't pick a nicer place to raise a family. I would go back in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

Congratulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’m a few minutes south and I have friends in both Willow and Sycamore Park the estate right beside it.

Great pick. Never hear of any issues at all. It’s a sought after yet very established area / community. Houses are well built as you can appreciate yourself. The whole Glasnevin north area is well established, quiet and close to every amenity and transport.. Hope you enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It was Finglas when I grew up there, well Clancy Ave. A good friend lives around there. Tis fine. Snuff Box probably still there.

Snuff box is still there alright.

Dominos

Butcher

Chemist

The Little Chip chipper

Willows Pub...

...all there too amongst those little group of shops. Autobahn Roadhouse pub is a three minute drive away which is generally considered the best pub in the area in terms of comfort, food, service and ambiance.

Charlestown 5 minutes in the other direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Hibernia93

No such thing I grew up in Oakwood Myself. Dublin 11 is Finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Any thoughts on St Canices road, good or bad?

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

aquinn wrote: »

Thanks,

It's a nice fairly quiet road in an excellent location. The east (Ballymun Road) end is nicer, not that's there's anything wrong with the other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Hibernia93 wrote: »

Places like Cremore and the houses around Ballyboggan Road (at the Finglas Road end) are Dublin 11 and not Finglas.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

So you're telling me that Glasnevin Cemetery is in Finglas?

aquinn wrote: »

Thanks,

VERY good area, in general barring when the schools are starting and then kicking out it’s VERY quiet. My family home is close by so I have a long experience of the area.

You are in between two parks, Johnstown and Albert College which are really nice for walking, plenty of football pitches, outdoor gym in Albert, playgrounds in both parks as well as tennis courts.. shops in Ballygall 5 mins walk away, shopping...Charlestown 10 in a car, Omni Park 15, cinemas in both... 15 - 20 minutes drive and you are in town... good bus service in the area too.

Dublin 11 includes most of Ballymun west of Ballymun Road (Sillogue, Balcurris, Balbutcher, Poppintree, Sandyhill and Wadelai), Dubber Cross, Finglas (including Ballygall and Cappagh), most of Glasnevin (Cremore, Addison, Violet Hill, Finglas Road, Old Finglas Road and Glasnevin Cemetery), Kilshane Cross, The Ward and Coolquay.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

VG31 wrote: »
    It's a nice fairly quiet road in an excellent location. The east (Ballymun Road) end is nicer, not that's there's anything wrong with the other end.

The road really is only am east end, the west end is made up of school, church, care home and priests houses.

Any private residence is on the east side.

Nice road, but busy for traffic. Especially at school times. And it’s a rat run between Ballymun road and Finglas east.

Big houses, big gardens, loads of potential too.

Depends on children etc whether I’d buy on that road myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

Does anyone know anything about the red brick houses along Griffith Avenue extension (opposite Tolka Rovers). When were they built? Any history etc? Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Just saw a Facebook post from someone who lived in one of those houses, and they reckon they were built in 1981. I guess on land sold by the nuns? They're not pretty houses.

https://m.facebook.com/GlasnevinHeritage/photos/a.182651638552178/826554167495252/?type=3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,655 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I remember them being built and would agree early-1980s timeframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,655 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Something to be wary of - houses built / sold in 1980 - avg punter buying one then is 25. They are now aged 68.

I.E. if you want a place with lots of kids (for your kids to play with) then this mightnt be it. You'd need to check that out yourself. But I do know of people who live in estates this old, and they are the only ones on the street with kids.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i called up to a chap i know well into his eighties in willow park a year or two ago, and commented to him that his neighbours must not like him - there were four or five houses in various stages of being sold within 50m of his. he reeled off the reasons - nursing home, dead, nursing home, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

i think this will be the case in many places that are not new builds. Anyway, having lived in a new build, i can tell you having so many kids around can be overrated.

Autobahn Roadhouse pub is a three minute drive away which is generally considered the best pub in the area in terms of comfort, food, service and ambiance.

just spotted that. went round to the autobahn for grub for the first time in 11 years the other day, certainly will not be back. €19 for a just about OK chicken burger, and €21 for scampi my wife didn't finish because they were so greasy - and €7.30 for a pint of moretti? you wouldn't pay that in the city centre, and the food would be much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You'd pay €8 for Moretti in the city centre, it is priced exceptionally premium.

Advertisement