Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Required period of notice by tenant

Options
  • 13-08-2020 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi, I've been living in my rented home for about 3 years. I'm been unemployed and with no up turn in prospects, I'm thinking of moving.

Does a rent review count as a new lease or just an update on my initial lease (which was for one year).

i.e. is my notice period 84 days :eek: or 35 days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭stinkbomb

84 days. Its based on how long you are in the property, rent review doesn't matter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

i.e. is my notice period 84 days :eek: or 35 days?

84 days.
    Its quite clear in the legislation.
    Your landlord may be willing to consider a shorter period of time.
    Communication with the landlord is key here.
    Be clear and concise with the landlord- most are very understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Jambonjunior

What happens if the landlord has to drop the rent to get someone in? Would I be on the hook for the difference for the 84 day notice period? Orl longer? There's been no movement in getting new tenants.

I'm getting worried about all of this.

Also a second question, if the landlord was to take a a month to upgrade the place before getting new tenants, I presume I'd still have to cover that month that it's idle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Generally the landlord has a responsibility to mitigate their losses. If you move out without notice, they can't just take the property off the market entirely and then claim you owe them the full 84 days of rent; they'd have to make a bona fide effort to re-let the property. If they spend a month renovating the property without trying to re-let it and deduct that month from your deposit, the RTB probably won't look too kindly on that should it come to a dispute (unless said renovations were necessary due to damages that you caused beyond ordinary wear and tear, of course...). Similarly, it's not likely they could deduct if they charge a new tenant a lower rent; that's just the market changing and is part of the ordinary cost of doing business as a landlord. (Technically they're not supposed to be charging you more than market rent anyway; if the market has dropped and your rent is now higher than the market rent, you as the tenant can request a rent review and if the landlord can't find three comparable properties with the same rent or higher, then they'd have to lower your rent accordingly, or they'd be in violation of section 19 subsection (1) of the RTA...)

Advertisement