Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gaiters

• 13-08-2020 2:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭

What's lads opinions for a nice lightweight but hard wearing gaiter. Looking online for reviews but I want proper first hand experience.they will be used for stalking mostly

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭J.R.

I have the Trekmates CAIRNGORM GTX GAITER and find them great - reasonable price, lightweight, breathable, windproof & waterproof.

https://www.trekmates.co.uk/outdoor-accessories/gaiters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

What's lads opinions for a nice lightweight but hard wearing gaiter. Looking online for reviews but I want proper first hand experience.they will be used for stalking mostly

Were would you be using them?

I have used them in the past but water proof and breathable trousers with a high boot has been my go to for hill stalking for many years now. Even when I did wear them I never took them into the woods only for the hills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭richiedel123

Were would you be using them?

I have used them in the past but water proof and breathable trousers with a high boot has been my go to for hill stalking for many years now. Even when I did wear them I never took them into the woods only for the hills.
    I normally just wear wellies but it's too warm so I am using boots a lot more the last year or 2. Problem I have is drains where I shoot. High boots on their own arnt good enough to go through them.I end up walking way out of my way to get around them. That's why I was thinking gaiters over them.

I wouldn't be relying on gaiters for keeping you dry when crossing water. They will to a degree if well designed and fitted. There main purpose is to keep stones and debris out of boots and to give protection to the ends of your trousers. If water proof then they will keep the trousers dry to the same extent as a pair of wellies would.
    I had these full boot gaiters before.
    https://www.jackson-sports.com/Mobile/en/Berghaus-Yeti-Attak-2-Gaiter/m-m-8237.aspx?PartnerID=5178&gclid=CjwKCAjwj975BRBUEiwA4whRB_JT_x5_S9xvnFB76_-FvNkptehPw025ce54EdHVS8R2gLmiHUvTshoCMcYQAvD_BwE&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=Ireland

They were good to a certain extent but were awkward and made your feet too warm. Once the water gets in its in and it's a pain.

To be honest a good pair of technical stalking trousers with internal cuffs and you'll be able to quickly cross shallow streams. Either that or get yourself a light weight pair of wellies for the warm days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭richiedel123

I wouldn't be relying on gaiters for keeping you dry when crossing water. They will to a degree if well designed and fitted. There main purpose is to keep stones and debris out of boots and to give protection to the ends of your trousers. If water proof then they will keep the trousers dry to the same extent as a pair of wellies would.
    I had these full boot gaiters before.
    https://www.jackson-sports.com/Mobile/en/Berghaus-Yeti-Attak-2-Gaiter/m-m-8237.aspx?PartnerID=5178&gclid=CjwKCAjwj975BRBUEiwA4whRB_JT_x5_S9xvnFB76_-FvNkptehPw025ce54EdHVS8R2gLmiHUvTshoCMcYQAvD_BwE&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=Ireland

They were good to a certain extent but were awkward and made your feet too warm. Once the water gets in its in and it's a pain.

To be honest a good pair of technical stalking trousers with internal cuffs and you'll be able to quickly cross shallow streams. Either that or get yourself a light weight pair of wellies for the warm days

I was actually looking at them yeti ones. They seem to fit really well. Might look into them and see how they go. Thanks for your replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

I have a pair of British Army DPM gaiters, bought them for €20. They’re a mighty job, big enough to fit over Meindl Dover extreme boots, grand for walking, splashing across a small stream. I’ld say they’re up their with the Gucci brands ...,. Tough and hard wearing.

I was actually looking at them yeti ones. They seem to fit really well. Might look into them and see how they go. Thanks for your replies

Meant to say that I ended up puncturing/tearing mine, never bothered to repair them. It's important to get the size right as they will ethier not fit or just keep peeling back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Meant to say that I ended up puncturing/tearing mine, never bothered to repair them. It's important to get the size right as they will ethier not fit or just keep peeling back.

I bought a pair , they were a nightmare, rubber tore trying to put them on my boots .

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Heavy handed

Using a pair of Irish army issued gaiters now for the past 2 seasons and there a mighty job. If I’m not mistaken there made here in Ireland. Nice fit and have endured a lot of brush and thick scrub.

Advertisement