Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Work New Responsibilities

Options
  • 13-08-2020 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Am I the only person that feels that the responsibility for others safety whilst preforming normal duties and trying not to bring Virus home to family is ALOT.

I feel pressure to return to normal operations but if someone under my care catches Virus as a result of opening up old services I will be the scape goat for it.

I also wont forgive myself if someone using our services get Covid19 because I gave into pressure from Senior Managment.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Does anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

My advice to you is ensure your employer is compliant with the Return to Work Safely Protocol.

Beyond that, it's your decision whether you want to continue working there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lexib2020

antix80 wrote: »
    My advice to you is ensure your employer is compliant with the Return to Work Safely Protocol.

Beyond that, it's your decision whether you want to continue working there.[/quote

Yeah I guess your right. We have worked all the way through almost 24/7 but now as we look into a long Winter its terrifying the risks that we are taking on a daily basis simply going to work. Teachers will feel exactly the same in a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Well, maybe you or your union could push for hazard pay. Some supermarkets gave their staff pay increases. Otherwise, it's just the reality of the job you're in that you should make some adjustments for the "new normal".. some employers may have a long-term sick pay scheme and if you're signed off for work due to pre-existing medical condition, perhaps that could benefit you.

Otherwise, I'm afraid you'll either identify areas for reasonable accommodation or look for a job with lower risks. My employer has most staff working from home at the moment and allows more flexible arrangements for employees who need to be present in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

May I ask, what type of business, work environment, job and roundabout changes your employer has made to ensure the best practices of health and safety are carried out in your workplace as relates specifically to the covid challenges ?

You can give people ‘haz pay’ which I just call ‘suck it up and deal with it’ pay... I’d rather no haz pay and a safe work environment over a few bob to keep stummm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

All you can do is ensure people are wearing masks properly, and remind them to not get too close to each other and keep good hand hygiene. Also ensure the cleaning staff are regularly sanitising all obvious transmission points - elevator buttons, door handles, toilet taps, coffee machine buttons, water fountain handle, etc.

You are not people's mammy, nor are you god, so all you can do is stop obvious rule breaches.

• Advertisement
Advertisement