Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nine tenants evicted from north Dublin property by men in masks and dark clothing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Updancing

I can't believe what I'm actually reading here. You can tell by the video that those people living in the house had no idea of why they were being evicted.

And the fact that the baliff said he sent an eviction notice through Facebook??? What the hell is that??

The gardai know they are in the wrong here. They were fooled on the day. It must be gardai that came through the emergency route for covid 19, because I can't imagine a professional Garda standing by and watching civilians to be kicked out onto the streets, knowing feck all about the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Or the broken toilet...is that odd? Removing their mattresses? Smashing their windows.....yeah very strange behaviour for hired goons isn't it, cos they'd normally bring flowers FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭joeguevara

One thing that has never been discussed is the fact that there is no video of the bailiffs bringing in sledgehammers or any implement to cause the holes in the wall, smashed toilets etc. For anyone who has ever been a labourer, you can’t cause the damage seen without them. Also, after anyone blasts through plaster, walls, toilets, baths etc they would be covered in dust and plaster. Surely someone would have caught that?

joeguevara wrote: »
    One thing that has never been discussed is the fact that there is no video of the bailiffs bringing in sledgehammers or any implement to cause the holes in the wall, smashed toilets etc. For anyone who has ever been a labourer, you can’t cause the damage seen without them. Also, after anyone blasts through plaster, walls, toilets, baths etc they would be covered in dust and plaster. Surely someone would have caught that?
    I must remember, the next time masked men are in my sitting room welding sledge hammers, that I've to get it on tape for ur viewing pleasure

• Advertisement

Updancing wrote: »
    I must remember, the next time masked men are in my sitting room welding sledge hammers, that I've to get it on tape for ur viewing pleasure

I never said that. But seeing as there was a crowd outside the premises before during and after (as stated by them) surely one of them was recording. Did everyone fcuck off for a cup of tea and only returned when no one was around.

I have been very clear on this thread that if it was an illegal eviction then the people who perpetrated it should be brought to justice. I have been equally clear that snap judgments based on uncorroborated quotes are equally as bad. I don’t think it is beneficial to make a facetious remark when it was a reasonable statement. But equally if I was in the presence of people smashing my house up I’d be damn sure I’d be recording it (especially if I had been recording everything else up to it).

But seeing as you have three posts and only registered tonight, I’m sure you are unbiased and without an agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I can't believe what I'm actually reading here. You can tell by the video that those people living in the house had no idea of why they were being evicted.

And the fact that the baliff said he sent an eviction notice through Facebook??? What the hell is that??

The gardai know they are in the wrong here. They were fooled on the day. It must be gardai that came through the emergency route for covid 19, because I can't imagine a professional Garda standing by and watching civilians to be kicked out onto the streets, knowing feck all about the situation.
    To me the eviction notice sounds like it would have been invalid but it is not the case that Gardai police what is a valid notice. As far as I understand the Gardai have no involvement in illegal evictions. The gardai dont throw squatters either.

Everything is recorded on phones nowdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Blaaz_ wrote: »
    One lad living there with 10 plus years and they can just fcuk them out onto the street.....something seriously wrong there imo

If there was a valid notice there was ample time for him to prepare.

To me the eviction notice sounds like it would have been invalid but it is not the case that Gardai police what is a valid notice. As far as I understand the Gardai have no involvement in illegal evictions. The gardai dont throw squatters either.

If I was going to carry out an illegal eviction I wouldn’t go to the Garda station first. Intentionally giving false and misleading information to a Garda is a criminal offence if used to carry out an illegal action. Also, even if that was overlooked I wouldn’t be giving notice of an illegal eviction.

Saying that it could have been a creative double bluff. Hopefully justice will prevail to the aggrieved party/ies.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

9 individuals at the property ,one actually is apparently regularly broadcasting to and about maliwai where he's From(if it's the same person) but yet one person records a video with no start ,middle or endings showing these masked men smashing into the house ,or even showing a struggle to keep these invaders out ,and add the reluctance to show their faces on camera .

Looks like some damage was done yet it looks clean considering its been smashed up .

Not buying the illegal eviction for one bit

• Advertisement

I never said that. But seeing as there was a crowd outside the premises before during and after (as stated by them) surely one of them was recording. Did everyone fcuck off for a cup of tea and only returned when no one was around.

I have been very clear on this thread that if it was an illegal eviction then the people who perpetrated it should be brought to justice. I have been equally clear that snap judgments based on uncorroborated quotes are equally as bad. I don’t think it is beneficial to make a facetious remark when it was a reasonable statement. But equally if I was in the presence of people smashing my house up I’d be damn sure I’d be recording it (especially if I had been recording everything else up to it).

But seeing as you have three posts and only registered tonight, I’m sure you are unbiased and without an agenda.

I'm slightly biased because these people are in my community and I'm outraged that it was allowed happen. But even when the police are putting their hands up now and saying theyre going to bring in investigator ...people are accusing victims of deceit. And that's what's on people's minds. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Gatling wrote: »
    Looking at the video again, and the smashing up of the toilets is bizarre. Would also require a decent bit of force.

the_syco wrote: »
    Looking at the video again, and the smashing up of the toilets is bizarre. Would also require a decent bit of force.

That nobody heard despite so called activists been there outside the door

• Registered Users Posts: 25,494 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Facebook aside, odd and unprofessional as that is , Gardai, watching as masked goons destroy property that doesn’t belong to them ? This country is fûcked. Tenants could owe 50 grand, still doesn’t give anyone a right to smash up property.

Gatling wrote: »
    9 individuals at the property ,one actually is apparently regularly broadcasting to and about maliwai where he's From but yet one person records a video with no start ,middle or endings showing these masked men smashing into the house ,or even showing a struggle to keep these invaders out ,and add the reluctance to show their faces on camera .

Looks like some damage was done yet it looks clean considering its been smashed up .

I agree on the damage point. Based on the video circulating it does look like any damage was not recent as no rubble, plaster ceramic on the floor etc.

At present the legality of the eviction is unknown. I was chatting to a mate earlier about it and he said that if he ran a bailiff company and was in the situation, and knew that there was a chance of recordings going viral, he would go on Facebook live and show all court orders and notice etc to cut off any dispute. It appears that the biggest aggravating factor is the covert nature of bailiffs. If it is clearly shown in recording that the eviction is legitimate, then it is case closed. Also the media would be forced to state that all documents were shown and appeared legitimate.

I'm slightly biased because these people are in my community and I'm outraged that it was allowed happen. But even when the police are putting their hands up now and saying theyre going to bring in investigator ...people are accusing victims of deceit. And that's what's on people's minds. Shame.

If you read my posts on this thread I have said no matter who is at fault, it is devastating that a family is put on the street. The police never said that they are bringing in an investigator for the eviction itself but how the Gardai handled it. They stated that the Gardai presence exacerbated the situation. However the Gardai responded to a 999 call by the tenants and were ensuring that there was no breach of the peace.

I understand that it is your community but if it was an illegal tenancy, what options were there. People are entitled to question the damage. Equally people are entitled to believe that the damage was caused by the bailiffs. At the end of the day, bias doesn’t help anybody. I hope the family are safe and housed and if an illegal eviction I hope the owner gets access to his property.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Broadstone Bob

"You can tell by the video that those people living in the house had no idea of why they were being evicted."
    "And the fact that the baliff said he sent an eviction notice through Facebook???"

-Actualy in the video the "baliff" said "you were given notice last year when you put me on facebook, I gave you 7 days"
    -then the male "tenant" can be heard saying to the "baliff" "Dublin council don't give me a house to stay. I don't have a problem with you"
    -the female "tenant" can then be heard saying "were is the court order that the case has been decided? It is still in the courts"

Just going off the video it seems there was no eviction notice via Facebook and the "tenants" knew why they were being evicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭perfectkama

how these poeple got leave to stay in the state "Ireland soft touch"

how these poeple got leave to stay in the state "Ireland soft touch"

What do you know about them to make that statement? Not judging just curious

• Advertisement

What do you know about them to make that statement? Not judging just curious

All non Eu nationals so they would likely come through the asylum process

I was present during the attempted eviction they are not a family all individuals

All non Eu nationals so they would likely come through the asylum process

I was present during the attempted eviction they are not a family all individuals

So non Eu nationals have no right to be here, even if you have no clue about them.

And is being an individual wrong? I’m not being nosey but it’s a bit of a coincidence that someone who regularly posts about asylum seekers, refugees , Africans etc just happened to be present at the eviction. Like what are the chances.

I never said "they had no right to be here" but I a know gaming the system when i see it plenty of it home grown

http://vominews247.com/property-destroyed-in-illegal-eviction-of-8-phibsboro-dublin-7-residents/

According to VOMI news 247 there was 8 people in the house. Not sure why the IT and DCHA are saying 9.

VOMI may know the true number as according to the article above and posts on their facebook account from Aug 12th and 13th....

"VOMI would like to confirm the sealing of its offices in Dublin by Dowling Properties claiming to be the rightful landlords of the property.
    The residents are still fighting for this illegal eviction coming in the midst of COVID-19 pandemic.
    VOMI findings clearly show that Dowling Properties do not own the apartment contrary to their claim.
    The most shameful side of it is the local police that sided with the people who claimed to be owning the property and allowed the eviction to take place without any documentation.
    More info to follow"

"Protests underway in Dublin 7 for the illegal eviction of the residents of Berkeley road apartment by Dowling Properties who were shamelessly supported by Garda from Mountjoy.
    The protest is supported by various housing, Homeless organisations led by the ICCR
    The Berkeley road apartment houses VOMI Studio and its management staff.
    More info to follow"

I never said "they had no right to be here" but I a know gaming the system when i see it plenty of it home grown

You posted previously saying ‘how do these people get leave to be in the state‘, you then say you don’t know anything about them but look like non Eu nationals. You literally made assumptions based on skin colour. You are a racist. Should be ashamed of yourself. And either lied about being present at the eviction or turned up for fun.

http://vominews247.com/property-destroyed-in-illegal-eviction-of-8-phibsboro-dublin-7-residents/

According to VOMI news 247 there was 8 people in the house. Not sure why the IT and DCHA are saying 9.

VOMI may know the true number as according to the article above and posts on their facebook account from Aug 12th and 13th....

"VOMI would like to confirm the sealing of its offices in Dublin by Dowling Properties claiming to be the rightful landlords of the property.
    The residents are still fighting for this illegal eviction coming in the midst of COVID-19 pandemic.
    VOMI findings clearly show that Dowling Properties do not own the apartment contrary to their claim.
    The most shameful side of it is the local police that sided with the people who claimed to be owning the property and allowed the eviction to take place without any documentation.
    More info to follow"

"Protests underway in Dublin 7 for the illegal eviction of the residents of Berkeley road apartment by Dowling Properties who were shamelessly supported by Garda from Mountjoy.
    The protest is supported by various housing, Homeless organisations led by the ICCR
    The Berkeley road apartment houses VOMI Studio and its management staff.
    More info to follow"

So a Malawi internet site that is housed in the property in question should be relied on to provide the facts and have no agenda. And neither does a homeless action group. That is basically an accused saying that they are innocent. I’ve heard it all now.

So a Malawi internet site that is housed in the property in question should be relied on to provide the facts and have no agenda. And neither does a homeless action group. That is basically an accused saying that they are innocent. I’ve heard it all now.

It seems Vomi is an amateur blogger who was/is living in the flat. Seems pretty harmless and I doubt his websites would be making an impression on anyone.

Scrolling through his facebook you can see the "tenants" are disputing the fact that the person(s) who bought the property this year now own it.

The claim that the 9 (or is it 8?) people living in the flat had no idea what was happening and just woke to a gang of unidentified masked thugs in dark clothing terrorising them for no apparent reason doesn't pass the sniff test for me.

IMO I'd say its been a nice little earner for someone sub letting beds for years to vulnerable people while Gerry Ward argued with the banks over repossession. Only now the new owner is not as patient as the previous or maybe hasn't the funds to ignore the property and has decided its time for people to sling their hooks.

It seems Vomi is an amateur blogger who was/is living in the flat. Seems pretty harmless and I doubt his websites would be making an impression on anyone.

Scrolling through his facebook you can see the "tenants" are disputing the fact that the person(s) who bought the property this year now own it.

The claim that the 9 (or is it 8?) people living in the flat had no idea what was happening and just woke to a gang of unidentified masked thugs in dark clothing terrorising them for no apparent reason doesn't pass the sniff test for me.

IMO I'd say its been a nice little earner for someone sub letting beds for years to vulnerable people while Gerry Ward argued with the banks over repossession. Only now the new owner is not as patient as the previous or maybe hasn't the funds to ignore the property and has decided its time for people to sling their hooks.

Or maybe its better not to make a snap decision based on the Internet site of the guy running a business from the house that is claiming an illegal eviction. You made a big deal about the romi radar site having the full facts but failed to mention that it is based in the house and for all anyone knows is one of the people evicted (could this be the +1 to make 9).

Again. This is basically the accused pleading innocence. It's actually way more biased than the Irish Times article that was shredded earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

They did get it on tape. Strangely they either omitted it from their edited video or didn’t bother recording the actual “criminal” damage they complained about.

• Advertisement

It seems Vomi is an amateur blogger who was/is living in the flat.

Very recently registered ,

Biased and links to obscure Malawian blogger yeah right .

Advertisement