Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What changes would you like to see made in Ireland?

Options
  • 13-08-2020 3:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

By the government (if they can be arsed to)? I don't think housing will be sorted given that many TD's are landlords and are unlikely to act against their own interests by building houses and lowering thus lowering the average cost of rental units.

For me healthcare would be the main thing. It's funny that as a developed country, people have to pay €60+ to see a GP. We should scrap that and taxes should pay for that.

Also would like the LUAS extended to the airport.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

By the government (if they can be arsed to)? I don't think housing will be sorted given that many TD's are landlords and are unlikely to act against their own interests by building houses and lowering thus lowering the average cost of rental units.

For me healthcare would be the main thing. It's funny that as a developed country, people have to pay €60+ to see a GP. We should scrap that and taxes should pay for that.

Which airport?
    Belfast, Shannon, Knock, Cork.. Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I think everyone should have to pay a fee to go to the GP. Cuts down on people going for anything then. I'd rather zero medical cards for that and everyone paying 30 euro each

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

A proper system that deports failed asylum seekers without delay after 1 appeal

A train link to dublin airport

Enhanced national parks throughout the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Alter_Ego

Healthcare - make everyone, including politicians, to use the public system.
    Build a prison and lock up criminals, don't let them run around with multiple convictions. Small crimes - two strikes = you're out. Serious crimes - one strike = you're out. Proper sentences, based on guidelines.
    Tackle the claim culture, people should be personally responsible for their actions (and the actions of their kids), make compensations as much cash free as possible (pay bills, not put money into people's accounts).
    Basic childcare to be provided by the state.
    Stop with the nanny state nonsense where I can't get myself a bottle of wine on Sunday morning when I want to make a risotto for lunch (not much of a drinker, but like risotto).

Going to wake up now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I looked at this article that says a quarter of TSs are landlords.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/find-out-if-your-local-td-is-a-landlord-or-owns-multiple-properties-1.3393692
    To me it looks like many own houses, and live in them.

Michael Healy-Ray owns 18 properties.
    I must remember that when he starts talking about the small man.

One boards.ie thread per person per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

A fairer “shake” for immigrants and, especially, refugees.

Instead of letting them rot in Direct Provision “centres” they should be welcomed into the community and allowed to contribute.

Would be nice to see more women in prominent positions within our political “sphere”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A fairer “shake” for immigrants and, especially, refugees.

Instead of letting them rot in Direct Provision “centres” they should be welcomed into the community and allowed to contribute.

Would be nice to see more women in prominent positions within our political “sphere”.

Balbriggan is a great example of what you describe for refugees to this country alright. Total ban on MSM about the black gangs terrorising the place. So I don't agree with you on that one.

https://gript.ie/why-the-media-blackout-on-gangs-and-house-burning-in-balbriggan/

I agree about having more women in prominent positions, but on merit not just tokenism.

Anyway I'll probably be carded for contributing the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭GalwayMark

How about getting rid of county councils and instituting regional assemblies for less parochialism in Irish politics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

There is no conspiracy within our governments to not improve our societies, our failures are largely due to ideological shortcomings, we largely have not accept this yet, particularly at a political level

Travellers having their ethnic minority privileges withdrawn. Pavee Point abolished. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Balbriggan is a great example of what you describe for refugees to this country alright. Total ban on MSM about the black gangs terrorising the place. So I don't agree with you on that one.

https://gript.ie/why-the-media-blackout-on-gangs-and-house-burning-in-balbriggan/

Debunked
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40031435.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Travellers having their ethnic minority privileges withdrawn.

What material difference would that make to you personally or this country generally?

This thread will naturally turn towards grievances people have but they are not listened to at all.

Anti social behaviour of ethnic brethren, dog napping, scrap stealing, rioting gangs, gimme a house for life, no not there, HERE. and so on.

It's natural, those out working or WFH etc. are heartily sick of having to pay for the support of these people, and I say that as someone who has no problem with my taxes being used wisely for those genuinely in need. Generous country we are too.

So Law and Order would be first on my list anyway.

Odhinn wrote: »

Didn't see it in the Indo, IT, or on RTE or Newstalk just the same. Those who take the Examiner in general are not interested in anywhere outside the rebel county anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Total overhaul of the justice system. No more suspended sentences after a first offence. You get one chance to change your ways, no more

eviltwin wrote: »
    Total overhaul of the justice system. No more suspended sentences after a first offence. You get one chance to change your ways, no more

And build more humungous prisons, and stop free legal aid after three offences, yeah right. Sorry that is not aimed at you, just my cynical self emerging.

But if there were any changes like you mention they would be straight off to check out their human rights, innocent until proven guilty and all that. I sometimes just don't think my brain can cope with much more of this perpetrator rights v Victims anymore now. But I'll keep calm hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

As Leo said, but didn’t follow through on his promise, I’d look after those that get up early in the morning.

I don’t want to dole bash, I was unemployed myself for 5 years after 2008, but SW should be a temporary period of assistance and not a way of life.

I think if this is sorted it will also help sort the asylum problem. If everyone has to work for their money and house it will reduce the number of “poor unfortunates”that arrive on our shore.

Any asylum seeker that arrives from a safe country should be deported immediately back to that safe country. No processing just deported. We can legally do this. I don’t understand stand why we don’t.

I would agree with another prison and no more freedom when you have 20-30 previous.

I would reduce the number of TD’s and let them concentrate on running the country and not fixing potholes outside my house.

I would reform their pension. If they become a minister they get a ministers pension. Nobody in the public service. Their pension should be calculated on their service. Say 10 years as a TD, 2 years as a junior minister, 5 years as a full minister an 3 years as Taoiseach. Their pension would only be payable at pension age - until then the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 s3ndnudes

Things I would like to see:

1. Increase investment OUTSIDE of Dublin to make it a more attractive place to live with particular focus on already large towns and urban centres. As a young person, most I know have had to go to Dublin for opportunity- I'd love to see this to change.

2. Efforts to encourage high rise high density living and effort to increase supply of housing. Anything that would bring down the cost of housing would increase the quality of life for so many.

3. Incentivising companies by all means necessary to get them setting up outside of Dublin. This would be better for both people already in Dublin and those outside it.

4. Investment in public transport- luas is a joke. Thing crawls around the city, theirs lights were cars are given preference before the luas- ridiculous. I'd like to see less cars in the city centre- perhaps "tolls" similar to what they have for the city centre in London.

5. Within Dublin, I would love to see more effort to create spaces that bring people together. In the city centre, there's almost no public seating (probably deliberately as addicts would take it over). But I think it is a bit sad that there's very few places where people can come together to meet- St Stephen's green being one notable exception.

6. I would love to see a revamp of O'Connell st- it's a complete mismatch of bad one off shops, run down side streets and is just generally grimey with a *cough* mixed cohort who occupy it. I would love to see some sort of plaza, development of side streets, seating, or anything to bring colour to the area - it currently feels like a bus through fare- which is what it is I suppose.

7. I'd love to see a more equitable tax treatment for those in the middle - say 30-60k incomes approximately. People who can afford to rent but not buy, and more broadly the "squeezed middle". I'd like the amount at which the 40% tax rate kicks in to be higher, and possibly the introduction of a third band for those earning say over 100k-150k. Don't want to squeeze the life out of high earners but I think they can pay a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The changes I would make would be a suite of measures that going forward would copperfasten these changes bringing us in line with best international practice

The changes I would make would be a suite of measures that going forward would copperfasten these changes bringing us in line with best international practice

Work in the corporate world?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭Archeron

The banning of net curtains

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

List system for a percentage of seats in Dáil Éireann.

No pension payments to politicians before the age of the state pension.

AGS crack down on white collar crime.

Serious change in transportation spending and space allocation in favour of cycling, walking and PT.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Switching all civil service pensions to a, somewhat generous, Defined Contribution “scheme” would be a nice start.

Political pensions should be the same. And none of this nonsense of TD pension, “ministerial” pension and whatever you’re having yourself, you’d get one pension, as above.

Political salaries would be next.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

s3ndnudes wrote: »
    Things I would like to see:

1. Increase investment OUTSIDE of Dublin to make it a more attractive place to live with particular focus on already large towns and urban centres. As a young person, most I know have had to go to Dublin for opportunity- I'd love to see this to change.

You can't have the big companies outside of Dublin.

Nobody can understand a thing you say down the sticks.

Imagine some american director on a skype meeting to the likes of that. No chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

I'd like to see us depart from the culture of complaining to the government for every single problem people have in their lives.

Can't afford a house,
    Can't afford healthcare,
    Don't have a job,
    Give us free everything

Here's an idea to make sure you never have to blame the government again. Abolish all these public services. Health, housing etc. Since the government won't need all that revenue anymore we can abolish the income tax too. Let everybody keep all their money so that they can pay for their own house, own healthcare, own education etc.

Seriously, I don't know any other country in which so much cynical complaining to the government is commonplace. Here's an idea. Maybe it would be better if the government didn't have so much influence over our personal lives.

You might think, if only Sinn Fein/PBP got in then there would finally be a govt of the people and all would be well. Guess what as long as politicians have this much influence over you, they will always screw up. Completely divest the government from our lives I say!

Anyway, that's my rant over. Of course I expect none of this would ever be implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Overhaul of the legal and political systems included term limits, decriminalization of drugs, end to concurrent sentences and bail for violent offenders and harsh penalties for misconduct in public office.

Massive investment in public transport.

Public/Private partnership on any exploitation of our natural resources.

Return of vocational schools and apprenticeships on a large scale. The idea that everyone needs a university degree is madness.

Scale of dole payments to be linked to previous contributions.

State to get seriously involved in the provision of childcare.

Creation of public banking systems

Change in the way we operate corporate tax revenue, utilising sovereign wealth funds

Taxing tech companies for the use of our data, rather than giving it to them for free

Decentralisation of our political system

Ramp up of the decommissioning of our fossil fuels power system

Introduction of some sort of UBI system for all citizens

Increase in the building of public housing

Nationwide programs for retrofitting buildings for better efficiency

Major overhaul of our educational system

Major overhaul of our health system, in particular our mental health services

Implementation of a land value tax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Pronto63 wrote: »

I would reform their pension. If they become a minister they get a ministers pension. Nobody in the public service. Their pension should be calculated on their service. Say 10 years as a TD, 2 years as a junior minister, 5 years as a full minister an 3 years as Taoiseach. Their pension would only be payable at pension age - until then the dole.

This has been done already.

Advertisement