Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sky box for UK freeview

• 13-08-2020 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi, My very old original sky box which I used as a freeview box is not running well

I tried another old sky box with the card out but the Irish epg showed with RTE 1 on channel 101 where BBC 1 used to be.

Did sky make changes after the first box meaning we cant get the UK epg in Ireland anymore or is there a workaround?
    I've tried all the usual tricks like upside down card and interactive menu and pulling the card out but no luck.

All I have to do with the original box is take the card out and the UK epg shows.

Suppose I need to buy a UK fta box to replace but I don't want saorview.

Anyone manage to get UK epg on a newer sky box?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Maruney wrote: »
    Hi, My very old original sky box which I used as a freeview box is not running well

I tried another old sky box with the card out but the Irish epg showed with RTE 1 on channel 101 where BBC 1 used to be.

Did sky make changes after the first box meaning we cant get the UK epg in Ireland anymore or is there a workaround?
    I've tried all the usual tricks like upside down card and interactive menu and pulling the card out but no luck.

All I have to do with the original box is take the card out and the UK epg shows.

If you're buying buy a Freesat box

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brandonviewer

An English card will restore your English epg. Plenty of discussions on older threads as to where to source them

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Maruney

Thanks for the replies guys, so no way to get a newer sky box to show uk epg?

I saw the threads about uk cards etc but the box I have is so old probably best to change it, just one more question if you don't mind
    - I can head to powercity or wherever, get a freesat (not saorview or combi) box, just connect to the sky dish and scan to get Uk freeview with no problems?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Thanks for the replies guys, so no way to get a newer sky box to show uk epg?

I saw the threads about uk cards etc but the box I have is so old probably best to change it, just one more question if you don't mind
    - I can head to powercity or wherever, get a freesat (not saorview or combi) box, just connect to the sky dish and scan to get Uk freeview with no problems?

Thanks.

https://powercity.ie/product/340138

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,326 ✭✭✭✭muffler

An English card will restore your English epg. Plenty of discussions on older threads as to where to source them
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

Very old means you were watching in SD rather than HD. The latest sky box is Sky Q so the versions before that are known as SKY HD + and you can get the full UK Free To Air channels epg with a UK Free To View(FTV) Card. Its possible your dish has only one cable and normally a Sky Hd box requires 2 but it can be configured to be used with one cable. Now if you don't need 2 feeds then Sky used to a multi room box,HD single feed.

This is it and it includes a UK card.

SKY HD BOX MULTI ROOM DRX595 + SKY HD REMOTE POWER LEAD &HDMI LEAD+viewing card. use ebay.

If you get a freesat box it wont have CH4 Hd but you may not be overly bothered.

Freeview is the name of the UK DTT digital terrestial television, we use SAOR = irish for Free!! = Saorview. I know its all jargon and as clear as mud just look at Eir tonight lost Virgin HD and the footie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Might he be better in investing in an enigma2 receiver eg zgemmah7s 2 sat + saorview assuming he has 2 sat feeds in that room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

I picked up a Manhattan freesat HD box for the inlaws last month for about €30. Very neat little box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭decor58

As has been said the sd boxes default to UK channels when the card is removed, the HD boxes, before SkyQ, needed a uk viewing card (with or without a sub) to get BBC 1 on 101, etc. UK cards were and sometimes still are available on Adverts, I had one up to last week, sold it for a fiver. If you can get a card, you need it for a couple of minutes, put the card into the box, connect the box to the Internet and go into the set up section and do a new install, the box will read the card and the channel list, you can then take out the card and the box will operate according to the new channel list, tried and trusted method.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Why would you want a Sky box to receive Free to Air satellite signals?
    That is not what they are designed to do well.

There are FTA satellite boxes available which give a much better user experience for that use.

• Advertisement

ease of use and channel 4 hd = simples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

swoofer wrote: »

That requirement leaves the Sky box (without a subscription) out of the reckoning.
    It is an exercise in frustration when used in such circumstances and fails badly when compared to a decent FTA box.

Ch. 4 HD is available FTA so not sure why you list that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭andy1249

swoofer wrote: »

See my screenshot attached

This is openvix with the bluehd skin

The OP never came back and it did appear they were off to get a freesat box so was giving a heads re ch4 hd and the link was for a £25.00 setup.

I was focussing on the "Very Old" made the assumption they were not interessed in soarview and they were not keen on configuring a tiviar or similar.

CH4 HD is not on Freesat.

Ye are all missing the obivious, with a UK card a sky box will pcik up all the UK Free To View/Air and all a user has to do is plug it in with card and it will boot up with all the channels in order, BBC,ITV, CH4,CH5 and maybe others. No messing what so ever, epg updates. ANd its dirt cheap.

Look here
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/SKY-HD-BOX-MULTI-ROOM-DRX595-Includes-Official-remote-control-power-lead-HDMI/293691609736?hash=item4461625288:g:P5IAAOSwxoVfN7Q-

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Maruney

Thanks for the replies all.
    Was just using the old sky box because its there really, dont care about saorview or hd for the room this is in.

Since using a sky box for freeview isn't worth the bother after this one I'll replace it.

Advertisement