Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limestone vs Porcelain patio

Options
  • 14-08-2020 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Anyone with experience of porcelain patio paving in particular? Torn between limestone or porcelain paving for my patio. The porcelain is nice big slabs but a bit more expensive for materials. Like the nice clean contemporary look of porcelain, but limestone looks very well too in fairness. Apparently a bit more expensive to lay as well according to the landscaper - more waste and he has to rent a different cutter (has his own for stone).
    Porcelain doesn't seem as popular in this country as stone, but sure why.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

ravendude wrote: »
    Anyone with experience of porcelain patio paving in particular? Torn between limestone or porcelain paving for my patio. The porcelain is nice big slabs but a bit more expensive for materials. Like the nice clean contemporary look of porcelain, but limestone looks very well too in fairness. Apparently a bit more expensive to lay as well according to the landscaper - more waste and he has to rent a different cutter (has his own for stone).
    Porcelain doesn't seem as popular in this country as stone, but sure why.

Porcelain is pretty new to the market here and I've yet to lay one, can imagine they would be difficult to do as being thinner and larger they would tend to 'swim' on wet concrete so be a job to get them level.
    I would also think they would be far slippier during the winter which is maybe why they've been slow to catch on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Have plenty of experience of using porcelain patios and similar "glazed' tiles when I lived abroad.

Lovely to look at, and ideal in a dry climate.
    Not so great when it rains tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

banie01 wrote: »
    Have plenty of experience of using porcelain patios and similar "glazed' tiles when I lived abroad.

Lovely to look at, and ideal in a dry climate.
    Not so great when it rains tho.

The supplier has these on display outside, laid out. Whatever ones they have are definitely not slippy on a wet day

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

ravendude wrote: »
    Apparently a bit more expensive to lay as well according to the landscaper - more waste and he has to rent a different cutter (has his own for stone).

Maybe ask a tiler about laying them?

Advertisement