Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Costs

Options
  • 14-08-2020 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I recently got a quote for an entire home renovation, and €13,000 of the quote was attributed to Costs and Insurance.

Examples of these are:

Portaloo
    Site Hoarding
    Equipment hire
    Safety Signage
    Health and Safety Equipment

Employers Liability Insurance
    Public Liability Insurance
    Professional Indemnity Insurance
    Contracts All Risks Insurance

Some of these costs seem strange to me as I would have presumed that the company would be responsible for insuring their employees and also I would presume that things like site hoarding would be reused from job to job.

Can someone tell me if the above is typically paid for by the client? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

That's all normal and each site is insured individually but you could also check with the builder the following other similar costs which I can think of currently:
    • I'm guessing they can use the existing house to secure tools, materials and have a site office otherwise you could also have costs to rent temporary storage and accommodation.
    • Have they included any Covid-19 sanitation area for employees on entering the site or any other covid costs?
    • PSCS and Covid-19 Compliance officer
    • Scaffolding hire and erection
    • Enabling or temporary works if any
    • Temporary access or contractor access (if relevant)

A construction site has a huge amount of other costs besides the bricks, timber and labor. What you really need to do is check if they've a list of exclusions or items their not including.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Hi guys, I recently got a quote for an entire home renovation, and €13,000 of the quote was attributed to Costs and Insurance.

Examples of these are:

Portaloo
    Site Hoarding
    Equipment hire
    Safety Signage
    Health and Safety Equipment

Employers Liability Insurance
    Public Liability Insurance
    Professional Indemnity Insurance
    Contracts All Risks Insurance

Some of these costs seem strange to me as I would have presumed that the company would be responsible for insuring their employees and also I would presume that things like site hoarding would be reused from job to job.

Can someone tell me if the above is typically paid for by the client? Thanks.

All normal enough.

Hoarding is most likely re-used, but there's time and work in transporting it, and setting it up on site etc.

Advertisement