Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No more cheapies from China! Imports from outside EU pay full VAT from 1 Jan 2021.

• 14-08-2020 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

Apologies if this has been covered already.

The Revenue issued a new guideline for imports outside EU dated May 2020. (see attached page 8.).

The less than €22 exemption is gone.
    The less than €6 VAT is also gone.

No more cheapie bargains from Aliexpress since An Post €10 fee and VAT will apply to everything.

"NOTE: Until 1st January 2021, no import VAT is due to be paid for goods with a
    customs value below €22 imported into Ireland.
    This exemption is abolished as of 1st January 2021. Thus, from 1st January 2021,
    all goods entering the EU will be subject to VAT irrespective of their value.

If the VAT payable is €6 or less it will not be collected.
    No similar rule applies in the case of Customs Duty or Excise Duty.

NOTE: This exemption is abolished as of 1st January 2021.
    Thus, from 1st January 2021, all goods entering the EU will be subject to
    VAT irrespective of the amount due and all VAT will be collected."

Did anyone see this change covered in the media?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

paddy19 wrote: »
    The less than €6 VAT is also gone.

I think you misread that bit

If the VAT payable is €6 or less it will not be collected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Good.

Maybe it'll stem the flow of cheap Chinese garbage flooding the country.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It has been covered a while back. I think Sweden were pushing it. If it applies to all EU, which I think it does, its a serious blow for China.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

JohnC. wrote: »

"If the VAT payable is €6 or less it will not be collected.
    No similar rule applies in the case of Customs Duty or Excise Duty.

They will collect everything. No lower limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭irelandrover

JohnC. wrote: »

THats the old rule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Good.

No it won't.
    Wholesalers and resellers won't be impacted by that change.
    All it will do is make it less attractive for individuals to cut out the middle man on small items.

It's a shame for the individual but I can understand why and it does seem fair enough.

ArrBee wrote: »
    No it won't.
    All it will do is make it less attractive for individuals to cut out the middle man on small items.

It's a shame for the individual but I can understand why and it does seem fair enough.

It will bring more VAT into the country, which is no bad thing. VAT and duty will push the prices up, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Will this not apply to goods from the UK now too, come January 2021?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

RoYoBo wrote: »

Probably, if there’s no VAT agreement, which is likely at this stage given they are openly hostile to any such arrangements and are talking about redesigning VAT entirely.

I would suspect buying online from the U.K. could become problematic and we will have to refocus on the EU internal market, buying from the continent.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

RoYoBo wrote: »

Depending oh what company you are dealing with in the UK you've already being pay the Irish VAT rate.

For example if you order from Amazon and they sell the item directly to you then you pay the Irish VAT rate if Ireland is the delivery address

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

And the anomaly of low postage rates from China will be gone too with economical fees being applied by most postal services around the world to Chinese packages.

Currently China sets the fees for international postage from China and anpost and other postal services have to accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭hhmmm?

Will it still take on post 3 to 4 weeks to deliver to my house once the item arrives in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

It's a balls, I buy lots of little things from the likes of AliExpress - USB and HDMI cables etc.

Better put in a few orders before the end of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,471 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

hhmmm? wrote: »
    Will it still take on post 3 to 4 weeks to deliver to my house once the item arrives in Ireland?

Probably, maybe even longer if every single package from outside the EU needs to be assessed for VAT rather than the current spot checks on goods declared as ineligible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,471 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It's a balls, I buy lots of little things from the likes of AliExpress - USB and HDMI cables etc.

Better put in a few orders before the end of the year.

It’ll probably force the Chinese to open EU warehouse facilities to remain competitive. (Some Chinese guys spare bedroom) Could actually reduce delivery times. They’ll no doubt find ways of under declaring the value of their EU imports to their warehouse and avoiding the VAT that way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Good point, they'll definitely be looking at some way around it and that could be the main way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,278 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

This doesn't just say China, will it also apply to the UK, Amazon will want a warehouse here if it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

This doesn't just say China, will it also apply to the UK, Amazon will want a warehouse here if it does.

Amazon are already starting down that road. They've fairly recently leased somewhere in Greenogue Business Park. May not be the last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,481 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Darc19 wrote: »
    And the anomaly of low postage rates from China will be gone too with economical fees being applied by most postal services around the world to Chinese packages.

Currently China sets the fees for international postage from China and anpost and other postal services have to accept it.

The UPU set rates not china.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Akrasia wrote: »
    Probably, maybe even longer if every single package from outside the EU needs to be assessed for VAT rather than the current spot checks on goods declared as ineligible

Can't see how that will be even possible.

It's like they've suddenly decided to inspect every single shipping container.

This may be just a pie in the sky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

Asus X540L wrote: »
    Can't see how that will be even possible.

It's like they've suddenly decided to inspect every single shipping container.

This may be just a pie in the sky

:( No it's EU law and will be implemented.

Very likely long delays.

An Post charge €10, couriers €15 to €20.

It's a nice little a earner.

In the longer term it makes cheapie shipments (<€22 or <€6 vat) not viable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭POBox19

Interestingly, on the Revenue site they state

From 1 July 2021 import VAT will:

be payable on all goods entering the EU, irrespective of their value
    and always be collected, irrespective of the amount due.

So is it January or July 2021??

I can't attach the link, newbie rules.

It's logistically impossible to open every small package coming from abroad.

Even it it were, are the people opening the packages going to be electrical valuers?

Not sure this whole thing makes any sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They won't be opening every package; they'll be opening the ones with suspiciously low values written on the CN22 primarily. Just charge the fee for the declared value on the front otherwise.

Also, once people realise they're paying a processing fee regardless of value they are very likely to stop ordering quite so much stuff from outside the EEA.

L1011 wrote: »

Also, once people realise they're paying a processing fee regardless of value they are very likely to stop ordering quite so much stuff from outside the EEA.

A processing fee?

So if your penpal in China decides to send you 2 HDMI cables and a USB-C as a gift, will I have to pay a processing fee on that?

The Chinese will find a way around this, don't worry

Asus X540L wrote: »
    A processing fee?

So if your penpal in China decides to send you 2 HDMI cables and a USB-C as a gift, will I have to pay a processing fee on that?

The Chinese will find a way around this, don't worry

Revenue are more than aware of all of these tricks already.

If there is a substantial number of items coming in as "gift", they'll go through the lot of them.

So you'll be stung for the fee after the many many MONTHS it'll take to get to your package.

The 'way around this' is to have a warehouse in Europe, with the inherently higher prices that will lead to. The gravy train is over. Doubly over as China Post is going to have to pay a lot more for postage in the next few years too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I expect we see one of these Chinese bazaar shops in every large town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

ArrBee wrote: »
    No it won't.

EU, always taking care of ensuring big business in the EU thrives at a cost to your average consumer.

While i dont agree wirh all the plastic crap coming from china, this is another case of the EU f***ing over the average joe to line big business pockets.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Good.

It will likely have the opposite effect if any.

The smaller items are usually bought by impulse buyers, online.

They would likely be brought in, in bulk now and sold. It just recreates a middleman.

• Advertisement

Second hand items are not VAT-free, if bought from someone over the VAT limit - which most eBay traders are. If you were selling the opposite direction the IRS would certainly have their cut

Basically the exemption had its point in the past due to the effort of enforcement but that is now vastly cheaper; and the volume being missed out on is huge.

Advertisement