Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No more cheapies from China! Imports from outside EU pay full VAT from 1 Jan 2021.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Probably easy enough to circumvent anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭paddy19

POBox19 wrote: »
    Interestingly, on the Revenue site they state

From 1 July 2021 import VAT will:

be payable on all goods entering the EU, irrespective of their value
    and always be collected, irrespective of the amount due.

So is it January or July 2021??

I can't attach the link, newbie rules.
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/buying-goods-from-outside-the-eu.aspx

EU commission has purposed to delay implementation from January to July.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Ok. I'm confused. So forgive the stupid question.

If I buy a phone cover for 2 euros I get hit with the processing fee? But not import duty ?

Yes I read the whole thread but I'm confused with the reference to under 6 euros and how that applies ?

Can someone explain with an example. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,406 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

sunny2004 wrote: »

If I buy a phone cover for 2 euros I get hit with the processing fee? But not import duty ?

Yes I read the whole thread but I'm confused with the reference to under 6 euros and how that applies ?

the thread is about a proposed change that will not be implemented until next july. at present if the vat due is less than €6 then An Post will not collect it.

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

the thread is about a proposed change that will not be implemented until next july. at present if the vat due is less than €6 then An Post will not collect it.

But they will collect it from next July on all items?

• Advertisement

But they will collect it from next July on all items?

apparently. I cant see it myself. they dont even collect the vat due on parcels that exceed the €6 vat limit now.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Good.

Maybe it'll stem the flow of cheap Chinese garbage flooding the country.

Cool, I guess we'll just have to pay EU companies more money for expensive Chinese garbage.

sunny2004 wrote: »

The negligible €6 will also be abolished, so you will get hit for both.
    It is ridiculous imho. The Government must be making more money than ever before on imports over €26, as so many are buying online.
    This is not a solution, and I can see them losing out more as a result. Somebody saw the money they weren't making and decided that they should be taking from that too.

I would love to see the figures on the amount that they believe that they are 'losing out on' by not taxing items under €21.
    Forget the €10 processing fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Suckit wrote: »
    It is ridiculous imho. The Government must be making more money than ever before on imports over €26, as so many are buying online.
    This is not a solution, and I can see them losing out more as a result. Somebody saw the money they weren't making and decided that they should be taking from that too.

I would love to see the figures on the amount that they believe that they are 'losing out on' by not taxing items under €21.

So screen protects for 2 euros etc will all be a waste of time !

I have noticed over the last few months ALIEXPRESS sellers claiming shipping fro Spain and Italy Poland etc.
    I actually put this down to covid as I was looking up masks. But I'm now wondering if the alternative European shipping address is their way of getting ready for this change.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,517 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Suckit wrote: »

Its an EU-wide measure, it is not down to the domestic Government.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Its an EU-wide measure, it is not down to the domestic Government.

it is down to domestic governments to implement it .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You need to shop smart with Aliexpress. There are vendors that can import internally into EU based distributors and your sale is registered from there.

apparently. I cant see it myself. they dont even collect the vat due on parcels that exceed the €6 vat limit now.
    https://www.avalara.com/vatlive/en/vat-news/eu-2021-ending--22-import-exemption--import-oss-returns.html

New System:
    Sellers will charge VAT at the rate of their customer’s EU country of residence at the point-of-sale on the website. Sellers can use the delivery address of the customer to determine the country VAT rate. No VAT is due at the point of import in this case.

Get used to a new abbreviation welcome to the IOSS number....

IOSS import VAT simplified reporting

To report the VAT charged at the point of sale, a new declaration, ‘Import One-Stop-Shop’ (IOSS), is being introduced. This will report distance selling across EU borders of imported consignments not exceeding €150. Sellers, or deemed supplier marketplaces, will have to register for IOSS in just one EU state. They will be issued a unique IOSS identification number which should be listed on all packages sent to the EU. This will indicate to customs that VAT is being properly declared and help ensure speedy customs clearance.

Like the OSS, IOSS will be a quarterly filing submitted to a tax authority in one nominated EU member state. It will declare import VAT due in all EU countries. The format and due dates will be the same as the VAT OSS. Sellers will have to make a single cash payment of the VAT due to the country where they are IOSS registered.

Switching import VAT to point-of-sale – Green Channel clearance

The EU has therefore agreed to scrap the import VAT exempt threshold. Instead, it will require EU and non-EU sellers to charge VAT at the point of sale for consignments of €150 or below. This will create a more efficient ‘Green Channel’, with quick and easy customs clearance. Note – the delivery agent may still act as the import VAT collector (see below).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭screamer

Anything that reduces the ocean of tat that is imported from China is a step forward. I hope they ban all the pound shops now or whatever the hell they’re called these days. Landfill generators is all they are.

screamer wrote: »
    Anything that reduces the ocean of tat that is imported from China is a step forward. I hope they ban all the pound shops now or whatever the hell they’re called these days. Landfill generators is all they are.

I don't buy Chinese stuff because it's cheap. I buy it because I want it.

Only now I'll just be paying more for it. It will still be Chinese.

Aliexpress etc.. Has risen in price in the last couple of years anyway, Most items on aliexpress can be found on the amazons for the same price or cheaper.
    Taobao and similar sites are the closest to get to Chinese prices, but vat is usually paid on them before they arrive anyway.
    To abolish the vat minimum will likely do Ireland no favours (it is EU wide, but not all national post services also charge processing fees), as it will be cheaper to import to an EU country with lower rates using a virtual address with consolidation or something similar for the people that buy loads of smaller items. It will be interesting to see if there will be an increase of the people using virtual addresses in Luxemburg or Germany for example. Even when the reduced rate hits here, depending on what is being purchased it may still be cheaper to import abroad and send here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

screamer wrote: »

Well who's a moaning Michael today?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

lmimmfn wrote: »
    EU, always taking care of ensuring big business in the EU thrives at a cost to your average consumer.

While i dont agree wirh all the plastic crap coming from china, this is another case of the EU f***ing over the average joe to line big business pockets.

There is massive issues with work camps filled with Uyghur Muslims, they are likely making so e of cheap stuff, but also stuff for VW & Sports Apparel Company(can't remember which one)

We should do what the Swedes do (amongst others) and use the trash to our benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

You need to shop smart with Aliexpress. There are vendors that can import internally into EU based distributors and your sale is registered from there.

I ordered an item, shipped from The Netherlands, got it Wednesday and was charged 22.77 duty, when I queried it with revenue they said, because it originally came from China and no duty was paid when arrived in The Netherlands and I must pay it.. ****s!

• Advertisement

• There are so many products that we could, and should, be producing here ourselves.

I ordered an item, shipped from The Netherlands, got it Wednesday and was charged 22.77 duty, when I queried it with revenue they said, because it originally came from China and no duty was paid when arrived in The Netherlands and I must pay it.. ****s!

Who was the supplier?
    Did it actually come from the Netherlands or was the supplier just using Netherlands Post office to ship the product?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Most of Vat and customs duties get handed over to the EU to fund it, so it's not as if the Irish exchequer will see much benefit to me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

paddy19 wrote: »
    Who was the supplier?
    Did it actually come from the Netherlands or was the supplier just using Netherlands Post office to ship the product?

The supplier was Gearbest.
    It said on the receipt and on the package that it was shipped from The Netherlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,335 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Most of Vat and customs duties get handed over to the EU to fund it, so it's not as if the Irish exchequer will see much benefit to me

Be careful here.

Yes, Custom Duties are an own-source revenue of the EU, yes.

Each country keeps 20% as a collection fee.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/strategy/eu-budget/revenue/own-resources/duties-and-levies_en

VAT is an Irish tax, but yes, the EU get 0.30% of our VAT base.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/strategy/eu-budget/revenue/own-resources/value-added-tax_en

That is not the same as 0.30% of our VAT revenues.

This is a declining source of revenue for the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Asus X540L wrote: »
    It's logistically impossible to open every small package coming from abroad.

Even it it were, are the people opening the packages going to be electrical valuers?

Not sure this whole thing makes any sense

I'm sure they have google.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I've never found any other site that has as wide a range of cables correnctors or any other IT equipment as aliexpress. Same wioth sex toys, nothign is available from anywhere within europe at less than 5 times the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

GarIT wrote: »
    I've never found any other site that has as wide a range of cables correnctors or any other IT equipment as aliexpress. Same wioth sex toys, nothign is available from anywhere within europe at less than 5 times the price.

If you want a connector that converts from x to y aliexpress is often the only place you'll find it at a reasonable price - or a price befitting the complexity of the device.

Similarly, brass fittings for a hobby project I was doing were over €10 locally but could be picked up for less than a euro on Ali.

Yes theres tons of tat on these Chinese shops, but it's extremely useful for getting the little bits that you'd be absolutely robbed getting locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭893bet

I get all my cables and sex toys there as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

893bet wrote: »
    I get all my cables and sex toys there as well.

I actually found a guy selling buttplugs for 60 cent delivered on ALi Express a few years (less than an Irish stamp)

Plenty of people I know got a lovely surprise in their front door lol

Advertisement