Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is There Much Activity On Repeaters In Ireland ?

• 14-08-2020 2:26pm

+ is there much digital activity ? if there is any digital what's the most popular ?

I'm thinking of getting a small handheld and not sure whether to get one with digital or just get a cheap 2nd hand analogue radio ?

Is there any activity on the Analogue repeaters in general ?

+ I hear it can be a real pain to set the radios up in digital and then going from one repeater to another ?

+ I heard you can open different repeaters from another ?

+ open repeater in another country ?

Have a lot to learn about the these handhelds + Digital + repeaters.

Mount Leinster is my closest, I can see it from my house around 40-45 kms away.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Quaderno

Hi there,
    I have no experience with any digital mode on VHF/UHF, but with Mt. Leinster in sight you should have no problems getting a lot of contacts on FM.
    EI7MLR (Mount Leinster) is park of the Southern Ireland Repeater Network (http://sirnrepeaters.blogspot.com) which covers a huge area. All the repeaters are automatically interlinked, so your signal will come out of all of them when you open any one. Opening repeaters in a different country is most easily done through echolink.
    Cheap FM handhelds can be had new for less than the customs limit of €22. Good example of a starter radio: Baofeng UV-B5
    Have fun!

Quaderno wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I have no experience with any digital mode on VHF/UHF, but with Mt. Leinster in sight you should have no problems getting a lot of contacts on FM.
    EI7MLR (Mount Leinster) is park of the Southern Ireland Repeater Network (http://sirnrepeaters.blogspot.com) which covers a huge area. All the repeaters are automatically interlinked, so your signal will come out of all of them when you open any one. Opening repeaters in a different country is most easily done through echolink.
    Cheap FM handhelds can be had new for less than the customs limit of €22. Good example of a starter radio: Baofeng UV-B5
    Have fun!

Great thanks for the info.

So when I activate Mt Leinster all the Irish repeaters open ?

Thanks for the link, I didn't want to spend big bucks and while I wanted to test some of the digital modes I don't want to spend so much if no one is using digital but I suppose if People bought the radios there might be more digital but anyway I think I'll get something cheap alright to try it out.

What about mobile use ? would they work ok in the car on the way say, from Carlow to Dublin ?

I always wondered how People remember callsigns when operating mobile hi hi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Quaderno

Great thanks for the info.
    So when I activate Mt Leinster all the Irish repeaters open ?

All the 7 repeaters in that specific network will open, yes. They cover basically the southern half of the island and there is nearly always somebody to talk to. The network can be accessed through echolink and zello (phone app) as well, so you will also be able to talk to people who log in from elsewhere, americans are fairly common visistors. There is also a DMR gateway, but the result will be the same: signal comes out of all 7 repeaters and anyone can answer, no matter what mode he or she accesses the system with. Using analogue FM is easiest when you are close to any of the repeaters I'd say, but all mentioned modes work equally well.
    Thanks for the link, I didn't want to spend big bucks and while I wanted to test some of the digital modes I don't want to spend so much if no one is using digital but I suppose if People bought the radios there might be more digital but anyway I think I'll get something cheap alright to try it out.

What about mobile use ? would they work ok in the car on the way say, from Carlow to Dublin ?

The absolut cheapest way to test out the repeaters would be to install the free zello app with your callsign as a user name and then one of the moderators will authorize you to transmit. Costs nothing, works very well and you get a good idea about the traffic on the system. It really is great and much better than what you would find in most other countries.
    About DMR specifically: You would either need to be in range of a DMR-equipped repeater (EI7MLD is also on Mount Leinster and should work) or you need to set up some kind of hotspot through your phone or fixed internet connection. That limits the mobile use I would think. Otherwise it is just a UHF-transmitter, so a small antenna on the car roof would obviously work well for going mobile. The map shows every repeater in the network (there are many others as well that are not on that map), when you click on the dots it shows the coverage in the left hand pane: https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?mid=1M2-6kbmkvjR7dxsQQBgQSjoDx8vuDo8F&ll=52.60839005518354%2C-8.525045539178262&z=9
    I think it's well worth trying out.

Quaderno wrote: »
    All the 7 repeaters in that specific network will open, yes. They cover basically the southern half of the island and there is nearly always somebody to talk to. The network can be accessed through echolink and zello (phone app) as well, so you will also be able to talk to people who log in from elsewhere, americans are fairly common visistors. There is also a DMR gateway, but the result will be the same: signal comes out of all 7 repeaters and anyone can answer, no matter what mode he or she accesses the system with. Using analogue FM is easiest when you are close to any of the repeaters I'd say, but all mentioned modes work equally well.

The absolut cheapest way to test out the repeaters would be to install the free zello app with your callsign as a user name and then one of the moderators will authorize you to transmit. Costs nothing, works very well and you get a good idea about the traffic on the system. It really is great and much better than what you would find in most other countries.
    About DMR specifically: You would either need to be in range of a DMR-equipped repeater (EI7MLD is also on Mount Leinster and should work) or you need to set up some kind of hotspot through your phone or fixed internet connection. That limits the mobile use I would think. Otherwise it is just a UHF-transmitter, so a small antenna on the car roof would obviously work well for going mobile. The map shows every repeater in the network (there are many others as well that are not on that map), when you click on the dots it shows the coverage in the left hand pane: https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?mid=1M2-6kbmkvjR7dxsQQBgQSjoDx8vuDo8F&ll=52.60839005518354%2C-8.525045539178262&z=9
    I think it's well worth trying out.

Thanks for all the info.

I think I'll try out a cheap radio first like the Baofeng rather than apps, then if the repeaters work out I'll get one that has some of the digital modes, Mount Leinster has 3 Digital modes I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

+ is there much digital activity ? if there is any digital what's the most popular ?

I'm thinking of getting a small handheld and not sure whether to get one with digital or just get a cheap 2nd hand analogue radio ?

Is there any activity on the Analogue repeaters in general ?

+ I hear it can be a real pain to set the radios up in digital and then going from one repeater to another ?

+ I heard you can open different repeaters from another ?

+ open repeater in another country ?

Have a lot to learn about the these handhelds + Digital + repeaters.

Mount Leinster is my closest, I can see it from my house around 40-45 kms away.

Hi Mad_Lad,

Some of the Analogue repeaters are quiet enough, or at least seem dead, until you put a call out and someone who is monitoring comes straight back. The repeaters on the Southern Ireland Repeater Group are definitely the busiest. I can open Devil's Bit in Tipperary with the Yaesu FT8800 and my Diamond X-50 antenna here in Galway, S7 signal and there is nearly always someone around for a QSO. I have also been able to open it on my 5W handheld from a high hill locally. It is linked to a number of other repeaters in the SIRG network, including Mount Leinster which is probably nearest one to you.

I can highly recommend a Baofeng UV5R which is cheap and does the job perfectly, although of course being a handheld, will be limited unless you get up high.

As for digital modes, DMR is definitely the fastest growing digital voice mode in Ireland and although there is a bit of a learning curve with programming the radio compared to analogue, it is well worth it.

I originally bought an Anytone UV 868 handheld which was ok, but it had a few bugs with the radio locking up every so often which was driving me mad, so I replaced it with a Radioddity GD77 which was nearly half the price and reflashed it with Open GD77 software, which was developed by an Australian Ham, and I have never looked back. It is a great little radio which is far easier to program that the Anytone, especially for multiple repeaters.

• Advertisement

Shyboy wrote: »
    Hi Mad_Lad,

Some of the Analogue repeaters are quiet enough, or at least seem dead, until you put a call out and someone who is monitoring comes straight back. The repeaters on the Southern Ireland Repeater Group are definitely the busiest. I can open Devil's Bit in Tipperary with the Yaesu FT8800 and my Diamond X-50 antenna, S7 signal and there is nearly always someone around for a QSO. I have also been able to open it on my 5W handheld from a high hill locally. It is linked to a number of other repeaters in the SIRG network, including Mount Leinster which is probably nearest one to you.

I can highly recommend a Baofeng UV5R which is cheap and does the job perfectly, although of course being a handheld, will be limited unless you get up high.

As for digital modes, DMR is definitely the fastest growing digital voice mode in Ireland and although there is a bit of a learning curve with programming the radio compared to analogue, it is well worth it.

I originally bought an Anytone UV 868 handheld which was ok, but it had a few bugs with the radio locking up every so often which was driving me mad, so I replaced it with a Radioddity GD77 which was nearly half the price and reflashed it with Open GD77 software, which was developed by an Australian Ham, and I have never looked back. It is a great little radio which is far easier to program that the Anytone, especially for multiple repeaters.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah I used me mates UV5R and it's easy to setup, however after much research I decided to get the Anytone D878UV Plus, I was considering the Yaesu FT-3D until I read about the poor sound quality.

The DMR radios are a lot harder to setup, I can't find an Irish Specific codeplug for it though, I looked at the one from martin lynch but there's tonnes of stuff there and I didn't see one entry for Southern Ireland.

I installed echolink and the southern repeater network isn't working so I installed Zello and it seems to work. I need to be approved first.

If I talk on Zello does it open the Analogue or digital ?

I got line of sight with the mount leinster mast so should work fine even in the house.

So maybe by the weekend if you're around we can try 80m and if that fails we can try via the repeaters if I get the Radio up and running on digital if not probably easier to setup on analogue.

What's the story with your antenna , get a chance to do anything with it ?

I like that the D878 has roaming which will or is supposed to connect to different repeaters on the move but I am still shocked that there is no Digital repeater for Dublin at all ?

Thanks for the info.

Yeah I used me mates UV5R and it's easy to setup, however after much research I decided to get the Anytone D878UV Plus, I was considering the Yaesu FT-3D until I read about the poor sound quality.

The DMR radios are a lot harder to setup, I can't find an Irish Specific codeplug for it though, I looked at the one from martin lynch but there's tonnes of stuff there and I didn't see one entry for Southern Ireland.

I installed echolink and the southern repeater network isn't working so I installed Zello and it seems to work. I need to be approved first.

If I talk on Zello does it open the Analogue or digital ?

I got line of sight with the mount leinster mast so should work fine even in the house.

So maybe by the weekend if you're around we can try 80m and if that fails we can try via the repeaters if I get the Radio up and running on digital if not probably easier to setup on analogue.

What's the story with your antenna , get a chance to do anything with it ?

I like that the D878 has roaming which will or is supposed to connect to different repeaters on the move but I am still shocked that there is no Digital repeater for Dublin at all ?

As far as I know, Zello connects to the Analogue repeater network of SIRN. Let me know when you are connected and I can link in via the Devil's Bit repeater for a chat.

The D878 is a great radio, and from what I have heard, Anytone ironed out all the bugs that the D868 had.

There is a great DMR network here in Galway now, as the Galway Digital Group have done some incredible work over the past 18 months to get a number of repeaters on the air. I believe more clubs around the country are in the process of or at least planning to put up their own DMR repeaters, so hopefully exciting times are ahead.

The Galway Digital Network have a Facebook Group, which is worth joining as the guys might have a Irish codeplug for your radio. Steve EI5DD is the man to speak to.

As far as I know, Zello connects to the Analogue repeater network of SIRN. Let me know when you are connected and I can link in via the Devil's Bit repeater for a chat.

The D878 is a great radio, and from what I have heard, Anytone ironed out all the bugs that the D868 had.

There is a great DMR network here in Galway now, as the Galway Digital Group have done some incredible work over the past 18 months to get a number of repeaters on the air. I know that they are pushing for other counties/clubs to do the same and expand the DMR network here in Ireland, and it seems to be in the pipeline.

The Galway Digital Network have a Facebook Group, which is worth joining as the guys might have a Irish codeplug for your radio. Steve EI5DD is the man to speak to.

It's a shame Yaesu are just sticking with Fusion and Icom D-Star, it's a pity don't include all the modes but I suppose if the repeaters support them then it doesn't really matter. D-Star audio quality isn;t supposed to be as good as Fusion or DMR.

I haven't had a facebook account in so long, this sort of stuff should be on Groups.io not social media in my opinion but if anyone can find a codeplug for the D808 please share it with me.

I am approved for the network so see if you can find my call, I'm in work now so can't talk but later tonight when the lads are in bed if you are around ?

I tried out the Zello app, works great, didn't talk on it yet but see that a bluetooth PTT button can be got which will make using it in the car a breeze and should work through the car audio system.

I'll try the app out tonight, be good practice before I get the radio.

I tried out the Zello app, works great, didn't talk on it yet but see that a bluetooth PTT button can be got which will make using it in the car a breeze and should work through the car audio system.

I'll try the app out tonight, be good practice before I get the radio.

Great stuff. I didn't know it worked via bluetooth, very handy.

The eldest girl has football training this eve, so will try to get on after depending on what time that finishes? So, u are going to connect to SIRG repeater network via Zello?

• Advertisement

Great stuff. I didn't know it worked via bluetooth, very handy.

The eldest girl has football training this eve, so will try to get on after depending on what time that finishes? So, u are going to connect to SIRG repeater network via Zello?

Yes, via Zello, pretty cool :D

I used it in the car on the M9 on the way home, I got my friend to call me and I answered, sound was a bit of an issue for him so I may see if I can adjust it. I turned off the noise suppression so that might help.

Talk to you on it tonight then if you're on around 8:30 - 9PM ish ??

I'm on Zello won't be on much longer.

I'm on Zello won't be on much longer.

Really sorry, didn't get home until almost 10.00pm in the end and only seen this now.

Hope you managed to make a few QSO's on the SIRG repeater network. If you are on this eve 8.30pm or so, or Thursday/Friday, etc. let me know and I will keep an eye on this thread.

Really sorry, didn't get home until almost 10.00pm in the end and only seen this now.

Hope you managed to make a few QSO's on the SIRG repeater network. If you are on this eve 8.30pm or so, or Thursday/Friday, etc. let me know and I will keep an eye on this thread.

No Bother, yeah I made some contacts, was on it for around an hour lol.

I might go on again tonight, I hope to have the radio tomorrow that's if the UPS driver actually bothers to deliver. Last Friday week I had to drive well out of my way after work to meet the UPS driver who was almost home, git , he's done this several times....... I have his number this time........

No Bother, yeah I made some contacts, was on it for around an hour lol.

I might go on again tonight, I hope to have the radio tomorrow that's if the UPS driver actually bothers to deliver. Last Friday week I had to drive well out of my way after work to meet the UPS driver who was almost home, git , he's done this several times....... I have his number this time........

Funnily enough, I get this with one of the courier companies as well. This particular driver will not bother unless he has a few deliveries for the area and just marks it as "not at home" even though someone often is. Some of them can be as lazy as feck.

It will be great to get the radio. Programming it yourself for the local DMR repeater and a few talkgroups to start with is not that difficult. There are a few really good youtube videos that explain the process well.

Just drop a message here if you will be on the radio later. If not, we can catch up by the weekend. :)

Funnily enough, I get this with one of the courier companies as well. This particular driver will not bother unless he has a few deliveries for the area and just marks it as "not at home" even though someone often is. Some of them can be as lazy as feck.

It will be great to get the radio. Programming it yourself for the local DMR repeater and a few talkgroups to start with is not that difficult. There are a few really good youtube videos that explain the process well.

Just drop a message here if you will be on the radio later. If not, we can catch up by the weekend. :)

Yeah, a lot of the drivers are contractors so they couldn't care less, imagine though having to drive to the UPS driver ( practically to his house ) to get a parcel ? ye couldn't make it up!

Anyway, I'll be listening out around 9PM so if you're on give a call out, I'll call too if I don't hear you.

Yeah, a lot of the drivers are contractors so they couldn't care less, imagine though having to drive to the UPS driver ( practically to his house ) to get a parcel ? ye couldn't make it up!

Anyway, I'll be listening out around 9PM so if you're on give a call out, I'll call too if I don't hear you.

I forgot that there was a net on SIRG this evening so I didn't want to interrupt. It has just finished, so I will give a call out now if you are on?

I forgot that there was a net on SIRG this evening so I didn't want to interrupt. It has just finished, so I will give a call out now if you are on?

No bother, I'm only seeing this message now.

I'll try get the radio set up for digital tomorrow and if that fails I'll try Analogue.

Chat around 9 pm if you can make it.

No bother, I'm only seeing this message now.

I'll try get the radio set up for digital tomorrow and if that fails I'll try Analogue.

Chat around 9 pm if you can make it.

No worries, I only hung around for 15 mins or so, then another couple of guys started a QSO among themselves so I headed away.

The girls have training for the next two nights so I won't be at home, but if you get the DMR radio set up, I can bring my radio with me and connect to one of the DMR repeaters.

Let me know...

No worries, I only hung around for 15 mins or so, then another couple of guys started a QSO among themselves so I headed away.

The girls have training for the next two nights so I won't be at home, but if you get the DMR radio set up, I can bring my radio with me and connect to one of the DMR repeaters.

Let me know...

Cool, Yeah we'll see if I can have it set up by around 9pm or so or if you're around later let me know. If the lads see me with that they'll want to pull it out of my hand and mess around with it so will have to wait until they're in bed :D They'll be asleep maybe by 8 or 8:30.

I asked one of the repeater lads and he said that the DMR comes out as analogue too on the analogue repeater which is cool.

I can't find any codeplug for Ireland ( surprise surprise ) so I'm on my own with that so I'll try program in Mount Leinster first and see what happens.

The contact list I have already, I just loaded all 130 odd thousand contacts from the English speaking countries.

• Advertisement

Cool, I have the radio with me here now on TG2722 (IRL Calling), so will listen out for you.

I originally tried to find an Ireland codeplug, but had no luck, so created one myself

Once you have the contact list imported in, you will also need the list of Brandmeister TG's imported in as well (if you don't already?)

Apart from that, to create your first channel, all you need are the input and output frequencies for the Mount Leinster DMR repeater, the colour code (usually colour code 1) and link the channel to a TG. You will also need to know whether that particular TG should be on slot 1 or 2 (the owner of the repeater should have that in the information).

I started with just TG2722 (IRL Calling) and TG2723 (IRL Chat) TG9 (Local traffic for just that repeater) and TG91 (Worldwide) which is the busiest TG by far. I then added a few more TG's as I went on.

Once you have the first channel programmed in, you should be able to copy and paste it a few times and just change the names and the TG's that they are linked to - I found that saved time.

You will also need to create a zone (you could call it MT Leinster or whatever you like?) and assign all the talkgroups to it.

Once you have that done, save the codeplug, upload it to the radio and fingers crossed, it will work.

Been trying since 8:30 PM to program the radio, hopeless, ridiculously complicated.

When I program the repeater frequency and try upload to radio I get error "zone is empty"

So I go to zone and I'm completely lost.

The info on the sirnrepeaters site could be a lot more helpful to be honest.

When I program the repeater frequency and try upload to radio I get error "zone is empty"

It can be pain at first, but it gets much easier once you have done it a few times.

I learned via this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UEOrTK_kvw which is explained fairly well. If you go to 10.45 it explains how to add the channels to a zone, which sounds like where you are at?

It can be pain at first, but it gets much easier once you have done it a few times.

I learned via this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UEOrTK_kvw which is explained fairly well. If you go to 10.45 it explains how to add the channels to a zone, which sounds like where you are at?

Thanks for the link, think I'll check it out tomorrow at least I got on analogue and made a few contacts.

Like a spa I was whistling into zello and got busted I completely forget that half of Southern Ireland could hear me lol.

If you're around another while u can try get me ?

Thanks for the link, think I'll check it out tomorrow at least I got on analogue and made a few contacts.

Like a spa I was whistling into zello and got busted I completely forget that half of Southern Ireland could hear me lol.

If you're around another while u can try get me ?

Sorry mad_lad, only stuck around until 10.00pm when I hit the sack shortly after. I won't get a chance this eve, but will be on tomorrow eve, if you are available?

I will drop u a PM regarding the codeplug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭orm0nd

The info on the sirnrepeaters site could be a lot more helpful to be honest.

been kinda lurking here last few days and noting comments,

haven't been on v/uhf in ages and have no gear now, was thinking of of buying a rig with dmr but if M_L can't set it easily I think I'd fail utterly ,

anyhows it's late and I'll do a bit of research and check in again shortly

orm0nd wrote: »
    been kinda lurking here last few days and noting comments,

haven't been on v/uhf in ages and have no gear now, was thinking of of buying a rig with dmr but if M_L can't set it easily I think I'd fail utterly ,

anyhows it's late and I'll do a bit of research and check in again shortly

It's frustrating to set up, if you haven't a codeplug for the radio you have to set everything manually but I'm kinda getting the hang of it. I have analogue working fine and on DMR I'm getting out but hearing nothing back, can check on brandmeister.

I don't know for sure but I think Yaesu's Fusion is supposed to be much easier to set up but the FD-3d is expensive.

I have the anytone D878UV, it's a good radio, great sound and bluetooth and I got a bluetooth button I can stick on the steering wheel which will activate PTT without having to touch the radio + it is supposed to work through car bluetooth audio systems.

I got the radio yesterday and the storm last night brought down my EFHW for HF so at least I can talk on analogue. Good timing. :D

Once I get DMR working then programming the rest of the repeaters won't be difficult once I know it works for Mt.Leinster it should work for the rest, analogue works so that won't be difficult.

There are talk groups and I have some Irish ones in but until I get DMR working I'm not going to mess with it any more.

I do think there is an issue with the Mt.Leinster DRM.

I got digital working, however I'm still confused as to the link between channels and zones then add to that the different time slots,

I don't know whether I'm creating too many channels etc. Then there is colour codes ffs.

• Advertisement

I think I finally have it sorted,

So the trick is to get all the channels and put them into the 1 zone and that seems to have made it a lot easier.

Strange that I'm only hitting Mt.leinster at an S2 compared to S8-9 at my Mothers QTH earlier, I got direct LOS with the Repeater, I can even see the Light of the mast flashing......

Time for a better whip, of course I can't get a mag mount for the car because the roof of the car is carbon fibre......

Can someone tell me the talk group id's for Ireland ? I have some but not sure I have the names right.

Some for Ireland have UK in them ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

My FT-90D arrived yesterday morning. I have already had it almost completely dismantled, because I could..

With the 5W and rubber-duck antenna I can hit the LCRC repeater EI7WHR on Woodcock Hill on 70cm on both analogue FM and on C4FM/Fusion. The output from the Devils Bit repeater EI2DBR on 2m, it just about breaks the squelch for me and I definitely cannot open that repeater with the standard antenna.

I did put together a SlimJim for 2m from some 450ohm ladderline and a length of RG58 that I had previously cut an end off. SWR is ~1.5 at 145MHz, dip is at 150MHZ. I might go re-soldering to add a tiny bit of length.. If I have that SlimJim at 9m off the ground on a carbon Aliexpress Special 10m fishing pole, I can sometimes open the repeater in the Devil's Bit with the FT-70D, but I'm faint at the repeater, and I can hear that I'm also faint on Zello.

I have about the same level of behaviour with the FT-817ND.

I suspect I need just a little more oomph, but I do have a priority of an amplifier for the HF bands, and I'll get that first before a VHF/UHF amp.

@Mad_Lad I have not yet gone looking at the DMR rooms, I will have another thread here about my fun with a hotspot.

Popoutman wrote: »
    My FT-90D arrived yesterday morning. I have already had it almost completely dismantled, because I could..

With the 5W and rubber-duck antenna I can hit the LCRC repeater EI7WHR on Woodcock Hill on 70cm on both analogue FM and on C4FM/Fusion. The output from the Devils Bit repeater EI2DBR on 2m, it just about breaks the squelch for me and I definitely cannot open that repeater with the standard antenna.

I did put together a SlimJim for 2m from some 450ohm ladderline and a length of RG58 that I had previously cut an end off. SWR is ~1.5 at 145MHz, dip is at 150MHZ. I might go re-soldering to add a tiny bit of length.. If I have that SlimJim at 9m off the ground on a carbon Aliexpress Special 10m fishing pole, I can sometimes open the repeater in the Devil's Bit with the FT-70D, but I'm faint at the repeater, and I can hear that I'm also faint on Zello.

I have about the same level of behaviour with the FT-817ND.

I suspect I need just a little more oomph, but I do have a priority of an amplifier for the HF bands, and I'll get that first before a VHF/UHF amp.

@Mad_Lad I have not yet gone looking at the DMR rooms, I will have another thread here about my fun with a hotspot.

Go to Brandmeister and in "last heard" type "EI" int he search box and you will see what you hit the repeater at, of course the signal report only works from a radio not hotspot.

I was stumped as to how my signal was much better in my Mothers House inside at S9 than my S2 in my house with clear LOS of Mt.leinster......

Yeah I'll get a better whip antenna.

I got my Acom 1000 last Friday, love it, so easy to tune, didn't want a solid state amp because the valves are not as fussy as ss amps with SWR, the Acom 1000 with output full power at 3:1 SWR vs around 1.5:1 for SS amps + SS amps are not supposed to be as reliable and to be honest the Acom 1000 is so good I see no reason at all to get an SS amp.

I've not been able yet to register with Brandmeister - currently writing up the other post about home hotspots..

TG 27240 - Southern Ireland Repeater Group (TS 1)
    TG 2722 - Ireland Calling (TS 2) (Reflector 4780)
    TG 2723 - Ireland Chat (TS 1)
    TG 2724 - DMR to YSF Bridge (TS 1)

2722 should give you all-ireland chat on DMR.

I've not been able yet to register with Brandmeister - currently writing up the other post about home hotspots..

TG 27240 - Southern Ireland Repeater Group (TS 1)
    TG 2722 - Ireland Calling (TS 2) (Reflector 4780)
    TG 2723 - Ireland Chat (TS 1)
    TG 2724 - DMR to YSF Bridge (TS 1)

2722 should give you all-ireland chat on DMR.

You have to be admin approved on Braidmaster.

Not sure the benefit of registering though but anyway good to see the activity on repeaters.

I'm on the world wide TG 91 and it's very active, amazing really all from Mount Leinster lol.

I seem to have cracked programming the radio now anyway.... Bout time, Jesus! :eek:

The battery life on the Anytone D878 + is amazing.

It has bluetooth and it works with my Bose headphones. + You get a Bluetooth PTT button for the steering wheel so you don't have to touch the radio.

Sadly, while it should work with Car Bluetooth it doesn;t work with the BMW i3, it detects and pairs but nothing happens but I need to play with it more to find out, funny I can't put a mag mount on the roof because it's carbon fibre oh well. :D

Next is to try program other Irish repeaters for when I move around, sadly Dublin has no DRM or any form of Digital repeater coverage.

The D878 also has roaming for digital which is supposed to connect to the strongest repeater on the move, small steps......:D I made a giant leap today by getting digital to work......

One thing I noticed about DMR is that it seems to time out or something, after long enough I hear nothing until I key up the mic which cause my ID and call to flash up and People think there's a break station, not good.

Could it be a signal issue ? but wouldn't you think when signal is good it would receive again ?

• Advertisement

Strange, on Brandmeister I see activity of Irish hams on DMR and destination is Regional ? doesn't seem to be a talk group ?

I seem to have difficulty setting up the Three Rock Dublin repeater into the Anytone software.

Output: 145.600
    Input: 145.000

But 2 different odd access tones ? was easy with Mount Leinster, 1 CTCSS freq but are these CTCSS for three rock ?
    1750Hz/
    88.5Hz

1750 and 88.5Hz I can't seem to enter these,

Also I seem to still have the issue when monitoring a DRM TG I have to key the MIC to get it to receive, it's as if after a while it stops receiving anything from the TG ?

I got onto the DMR network finally and got access to the DMR talkgroups on the Yaesu radio.
    @Mad_Lad = you got the next DMR ID above me! (At least I think it's you.. not going to dox you here)

Useful site: https://hose.brandmeister.network/group/2723 (the number is the TG number, shows the activity on that group, you can see who was on the channel and who's currently talking.

The 88.5Hz is the CTCSS code and the 1750 is Tone Burst/Tone Squelch

I suspect either of the access tones would work - i'm not aware of a system that requires both (I'm not sure that both could be done on the same transmission..)

I got onto the DMR network finally and got access to the DMR talkgroups on the Yaesu radio.
    @Mad_Lad = you got the next DMR ID above me! (At least I think it's you.. not going to dox you here)

Useful site: https://hose.brandmeister.network/group/2723 (the number is the TG number, shows the activity on that group, you can see who was on the channel and who's currently talking.

The 88.5Hz is the CTCSS code and the 1750 is Tone Burst/Tone Squelch

I suspect either of the access tones would work - i'm not aware of a system that requires both (I'm not sure that both could be done on the same transmission..)

Ha funny, PM me your ID. :D

Yeah I got in with 88.5 Hz, I thought coverage would have been better from Kippure.

Do I need to use 1750 Hz anywhere ?

Couldn't get three rock at all is it dead ?

I believe there is a UHF repeater for Dublin too ?

Does anyone have a link to an up to date data base for Irish Repeaters ?

Yes, the Brandmeister site is handy. I was using it to see what my signal strength is at the repeater.

II can't get an external antenna for the Car because there's no metal to stick the mag mount....... but anyway seems like very little activity on the Kippure Repeater, at least at 9 am.

Is the Yaesu as hard to program like the Anytone and others ? what radio do you have ?

Will need to get a 2m/70cm antenna for the chimney.

I think the most current up to date DB for publicly accessible repeaters is (afaik) https://www.irts.ie/cgi/repeater.cgi I don't think there's any Irish-based page of repeater status, but repeaterbook.com is as up to date as I'm aware.

I have been using the Yaesu software to put the repeater list onto the HT, not trivial, but not by any means difficult.
    Changing YSF chatrooms and DMR talkgroups on the handset itself is a pain though as there's no list of available to choose from and the ID must be manually entered. But, built-in useful Wires-X functionality starts at ~€300 for the HT and that's not something I needed when I was looking into the 2m/70cm range. I'd have to have decided I'd be spending much more time at that range to warrant the expense

Accessing the repeater, assuming the antenna is good and there's enough amps getting out, shouldn't be difficult to hit at least one of the useful repeaters nearby. HTs being 5 watts and mediocre antenna will be limited to maybe 10km from repeater. Add an amp to 25-100W and a half-decent antenna, either a Yagi or a well-made SlimJim and you'll be in the same ballpark as a mobile rig and get 40-80km, and there are people getting in to the repeaters from well over 100km away. I'm toying with getting an amp and Yagi and seeing if I can hit the Galway and Mt Leinster repeaters from Limerick, as well as guaranteeing access to the EI2DBR repeater. I think I'll stick with the HT for the moment, not in a hurry to add transceivers to the shack.

I have found that the audio quality on the YSF2DMR access to the talkgroups is not that good, certainly by comparison with the analogue and Zello quality. Might have a chat with Steve in the Galway group if that can be improved. Still, it's nice to have more ways to access the repeater net.

• Advertisement

Analogue is always going to sound much better, it's an exact copy of your voice, DMR is compressed to 4.5 Kbps, D-Star and Fusion probably just as bad.

You'd think that today there's be a higher quality version. Back in the 90's when mp3 first appeared compression was around 64 Kbps so you can see the difference between that and 4.5 Kbps.

Zello will offer much higher quality, Especially Zello to Zello, if you're talking to me on the southern Ireland network via Zello and I'm on Zello the quality will be much better.

I'm not sure you'd need an amp to hit the local repeaters, a good antenna micht be best. I think I'll invest in a 2m/70cm antenna and stick it on a pole on the Chimney. I can hit Mount Leinster easy enough especially on analogue but It would be no harm to get a better antenna for the Anytone.

But I'm happy enough to have managed to program the radio and get on DMR it's a fun mode especially being able to tie in with so many talk groups.

On HF I like to make some digital contacts via JS8 Call, PSK31 and Olivia though haven't used any of these modes in a while I might give them a go this week.

I think it's going to get harder and harder to find a car that will work with a mag mount, so many not have glass roofs, aluminium panels, plastic or in my case carbon fibre.

Also I seem to still have the issue when monitoring a DRM TG I have to key the MIC to get it to receive, it's as if after a while it stops receiving anything from the TG ?

It depends on how the TG's are set-up on the repeater. There are two settings, dynamic or static.

For TG's that are dynamic, you have to key the mic to activate them. They will then stayed connected for a set-period of time, which I think is usually 10-15 mins, then disconnect, unless you re-key (or talk) in the meantime, which resets the timer.

Static TG's are connected all of the time. The Galway repeater network have TG2722, TG2723 and a few others set as static so they are constantly connected, but most TG's are dynamic so I need to key to activate them.

It depends on how the TG's are set-up on the repeater. There are two settings, dynamic or static.

For TG's that are dynamic, you have to key the mic to activate them. They will then stayed connected for a set-period of time, which I think is usually 10-15 mins, then disconnect, unless you re-key (or talk) in the meantime, which resets the timer.

Static TG's are connected all of the time. The Galway repeater network have TG2722, TG2723 and a few others set as static so they are constantly connected, but most TG's are dynamic so I need to key to activate them.

Thanks, I was talking to someone on Zello earlier and he told me this was normal so that was a relief. I might get a hotspot at some point.

Thanks, I was talking to someone on Zello earlier and he told me this was normal so that was a relief. I might get a hotspot at some point.

I actually bought a Pistar hotspot recently as the signal from the repeater can be patchy inside our house, I think it is due to the amount of insulation that we had installed when we were building.

A hotspot it is well worth it as you can choose which TG's to make static to save having to key to activate, etc.

I actually bought a Pistar hotspot recently as the signal from the repeater can be patchy inside our house, I think it is due to the amount of insulation that we had installed when we were building.

A hotspot it is well worth it as you can choose which TG's to make static to save having to key to activate, etc.

I was looking at the pistar but from what I gather you also have to buy the pi zero ? I was looking at the open spot 3 too but they are expensive.

How much we talking about for pistar with pi zero ?

I got three rock repeater on 70cm, I was talking to the keeper, Mike, he said 2m is down but cracking signal around work. I need to get an external mic so I don't have to hold the radio in the car he could hear me perfectly in the car too.

I asked him about digital and he said he didn't have plans to add digital yet as he feels the interest isn't there but I said there can't be interest in something that isn't there. So we'll see. I told him of the advantages, obviously sound quality isn't one but I said there are swings and roundabouts with everything, DRM offers a gateway to the world from the repeater. He's a nice fellow anyway.

One thing that drives me nuts is the CW beeping of the repeater call sign, the radio is silent then all of a sudden this loud beeping, it's very XYL unfriendly....

I still need a solution to getting an external antenna on the car.

Afaik repeaters that transmit into the amateur frequencies have to announce their identity every x minutes, as part of the licensing requirements. I think that is actually the world over as well but I haven't confirmed that.

Agreed it's a bit awkward for the listening and comes as quite a surprise into a quiet room!

I'll take that disturbance for the ability to use a repeater.

I was looking at the pistar but from what I gather you also have to buy the pi zero ? I was looking at the open spot 3 too but they are expensive.

How much we talking about for pistar with pi zero ?

I got three rock repeater on 70cm, I was talking to the keeper, Mike, he said 2m is down but cracking signal around work. I need to get an external mic so I don't have to hold the radio in the car he could hear me perfectly in the car too.

I asked him about digital and he said he didn't have plans to add digital yet as he feels the interest isn't there but I said there can't be interest in something that isn't there. So we'll see. I told him of the advantages, obviously sound quality isn't one but I said there are swings and roundabouts with everything, DRM offers a gateway to the world from the repeater. He's a nice fellow anyway.

One thing that drives me nuts is the CW beeping of the repeater call sign, the radio is silent then all of a sudden this loud beeping, it's very XYL unfriendly....

I still need a solution to getting an external antenna on the car.

I have a Jumbospot which is based on a Pi-Star. I bought it here pre-built https://www.radioworld.co.uk/jumbospot-dmr-ysf-p25-d-star-multi-mode-ip-gateway?query=jumbospot but you can get it cheaper if you buy the kit version and built it yourself. It works great for me.

Like Popoutman said, the repeater has to broadcast it's callsign by morse every 15 mins or so as part of it's licence requirements. It can be a little annoying when it goes off in the middle of a QSO...

I have a Jumbospot which is based on a Pi-Star. I bought it here pre-built https://www.radioworld.co.uk/jumbospot-dmr-ysf-p25-d-star-multi-mode-ip-gateway?query=jumbospot but you can get it cheaper if you buy the kit version and built it yourself. It works great for me.

Like Popoutman said, the repeater has to broadcast it's callsign by morse every 15 mins or so as part of it's licence requirements. It can be a little annoying when it goes off in the middle of a QSO...

I got a Pi-star hotspot on the way along with what I hope is a better whip antenna for the Anytone.

The hotspot will give me better DRM coverage in the back part of the house.

Yeah the beeping is mad in the middle of a qso and I think I even heard a few repeaters beeping one time, maybe it was someone on another southern ireland repeater, sounded mad lol.

Yep, it is a little odd that the individual repeater output is sent post-beacon-inclusion to the network.

I found this evening that I can hear the repeater on EI7MHR at 80km distance almost as clear as EI2DBR at 44. About one s-point in it, as expected for the inverse square law.

I've agreed to buy a ~30W 1980's-era 2m amp and a Diamond A144S5 yagi, both for £65, I'll likely have them next week, and then I'll try getting barefoot to either repeater and I should walk in then to both of them with the amp+yagi.

I'm trying to re-write the codeplug for my Anytone 878 and I have 450 odd talk groups, this means I have to manually enter 450 channels and go into each channel and manually assign the TG to each channel.

Then this has to be done again for each and every single repeater, this would take many many months to edit if you had a lot of repeaters, even for Ireland it would take weeks.

Christ, seems like maybe D-Star would have been better, just let the GPS find signal, then look for closest repeater and you're done..... I'm not sure how talk groups work on D-Star but it's supposed to be a lot easier.

• Advertisement
Advertisement