Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So are you single? Argos style....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    He didn't pull her number from company documents

have you ever had anything delivered to you?
    You give your number, the carrier calls you up, you speak with the currier and then you meet for delivery
    her number was in his phone by then

I worked in the industry. That’s not how it works.

If a courier company calls you prior to delivery to confirm your address or delivery it’s office staff, not the driver.

The driver will only call if they have an issue locating your address.

You don’t ‘meet’ for delivery, those days are long gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I've worked on delivery trucks, he crossed a very big line. People give their number in confidence that it won't be abused.

and he didnt abuse it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

It might get her Inst Followers up and she might be offered some affiliate work or an appearance on Love Island if it returns.

It might. It might even push her on to go to university do a study montage and become a top lawyer. Or suddenly decide to start a charity that will go onto cure world poverty. Or any other entirely made up narrative just because she complained on Facebook.

The FB complaint isn't my style, but it's how a lot of people interact with companies these days. It's second nature for a lot of people a d doesn't necessarily mean someone is trying to raise their own social media profile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Strumms wrote: »

If a courier company calls you prior to delivery to confirm your address or delivery it’s office staff, not the driver.

I live in a town.
    I’ve often been rang by the courier to know will he drop things off at work or home.
    I nearly always meet the driver and get you get to know them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

https://extra.ie/2020/08/13/news/real-life/argos-delivery-driver-report

Don't wanna read the article? Well then...
    - Argos delivery driver drops off an item a customer ordered. All well and grand so far.
    - later that day he sends her a text asking if she was single.
    - obviously got her number off the docket and blatant breaking the rules of GDPR.
    - she posts the texts to Argos Facebook.
    - she now feels "unsafe" ( €€€ )

Well that's his job lost :pac:
    He was chancing his arm obviously but stupid move, man. Should have been thinking.
    As for her... It was unwanted so yeah it's not right but "unsafe" to me whacks of wanting compensation.

Because it's funny in this world as anyone who seeks compensation always feels either unsafe, mental anguish, emotionally unwell blah blah.

It's funny because if this 20 years ago you'd have some people just ringing the guy up in question, tearing him a new arsehole then ringing the shop to give out loads to the manager or what not. But hey... Sue sue sue :pac:

You’re making an awful lot out of nothing yourself.

There’s no mention of compensation or anyone losing their job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

and he didnt abuse it
    Of course he did...how do you figure he didn't?..he contacted her in a private capacity totally outside of what the number was provided for..

and he didnt abuse it

Come on, what reasonable definition of abuse doesn't include using something not for its original purpose?

The word use takes up most of the word ffs

Strumms wrote: »

I get stuff delivered all the time, as we all do i guess
    And yes couriers may call if they can't find address or to confirm they are on the way, then i meet them in person because I'm home when the delivery takes place. Those days are not gone at all.

kenmm wrote: »
    It might. It might even push her on to go to university do a study montage and become a top lawyer. Or suddenly decide to start a charity that will go onto cure world poverty. Or any other entirely made up narrative just because she complained on Facebook.

The FB complaint isn't my style, but it's how a lot of people interact with companies these days. It's second nature for a lot of people a d doesn't necessarily mean someone is trying to raise their own social media profile.

To be honest I’ve had friends, families, relatives, etc all have issues with various companies over the years.
    The ones in my experience who turn to Facebook, etc are generally attention seekers and love their five minutes of fame.
    The only reason why people may turn to social media is if their complaint was ignored when they tried to phones/email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

and he didnt abuse it

He did. He broke a law and company policy. He had no right to use her number for any reason other than what it was supplied to him for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I get stuff delivered all the time, as we all do i guess
    And yes couriers may call if they can't find address or to confirm they are on the way, then i meet them in person because I'm home when the delivery takes place. Those days are not gone at all.

That us the only reason they have for contacting you. Anything beyond that is not allowed.

I live in a town.
    I’ve often been rang by the courier to know will he drop things off at work or home.

we all do, especially during the lock down when we could only get stuff delivered.
    it's normal to meet the deliver guy in person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭hynesie08

and he didnt abuse it
    You cannot use a customers private number for personal use, its a gdpr breach and against the companies code of conduct, I'd Guarentee it.
    Have you tried to find a contact number for a lot of companies these days? Facebook is usually the only way
    I live in a town.
    I would bet confidently that it is a work phone, like how nearly every delivery driver has a lycamobile number, for everyone's safety.

Thinking of it I should really tell the delivery company about the delivery driver who likes talking about the foreigners!

Have you tried to find a contact number for a lot of companies these days? Facebook is usually the only way

It's not my go-to style, and even then I'd try messenger or DM first.
    Not saying I haven't resorted to it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

While it was unprofessional, she has completely overreacted and blown the incident out of all proportion with her very attention seeking post.

Most rational people who were bothered about this would ring or email the company whereas her over the top social media approach makes me think it's more about attention than anything else.

I also fully believe if she was interested in the guy, the narrative would be very different.

I've been asked out via LinkedIn twice. Not exactly professional but I certainly wouldn't be reporting them to their boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

THIS is ludicrous..why do we know all about this shítty interaction between a woman who made a man deliver a parcel to her. She shouldn't have even heard the doorbell with all the dishes rattling in the sink,. She shuda had a nice meal waiting for him as well..
    Ahhhhhh ya gotta love the AH forum.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    That us the only reason they have for contacting you. Anything beyond that is not allowed.

i think we are all on the same page here, yes it's not allowed by company policy to use the customer number. The guy did it and it's no big deal.

When i had furniture delivered at my house the guy said a few times that i had a lovely living room. Should i have assumed that he was going to break in that night and rob my stuff? he clearly crossed professional boundaries by making a personal comment about my personal space

It's not my go-to style, and even then I'd try messenger or DM first.
    Not saying I haven't resorted to it before.

I know, it normally wouldn't be mine either, but even argos don't have a dedicated complaints line, and she wanted to include the screenshot obviously, and what if he's done it before, no harm in letting other people know about it.

• Advertisement

m

I would bet confidently that it is a work phone, like how nearly every delivery driver has a lycamobile number, for everyone's safety.

We have the numbers for the delivery drivers saved in our phones so we know who’s ringing in the morning.
    If I click into my WhatsApp they’ve pictures of kids, etc as their profile photo. So it looks like a strange work phone to me.

We have the numbers for the delivery drivers saved in our phones so we know who’s ringing in the morning.
    If I click into my WhatsApp they’ve pictures of kids, etc as their profile photo. So it looks like a strange work phone to me.

Should they just have a picture of a truck?

i think we are all on the same page here, yes it's not allowed by company policy to use the customer number. The guy did it and it's no big deal.

When i had furniture delivered at my house the guy said a few times that i had a lovely living room. Should i have assumed that he was going to break in that night and rob my stuff? he clearly crossed professional boundaries by making a personal comment about my personal space

You really can't see the difference between someone being polite in your company vs abusing your personal data to ask you out several hours after you met them?

No, it's a massive deal that could see his employer fined or sued or both.

No, it's a massive deal that could see his employer fined or sued or both.

people have sued multinational companies and won millions over stupid things before, that's what she's after probably

people have sued multinational companies and won millions over stupid things before, that's what she's after probably

Do you hate all women or just this one???

• Advertisement

You really can't see the difference between someone being polite in your company vs abusing your personal data to ask you out several hours after you met them?

He was being polite.

Go find that politeness on a Friday night in the pub

Do you hate all women or just this one???

grow up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

He was being polite.

Can't argue with that.
    He was being polite. Like it is what it is no matter what way the conspiracy theorists try to 180⁰ it!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

It is, but I don't think you can make the comparison.

Because really by saying 'if the genders were reversed' you would really need to reverse this going back decades/centuries in a non existent world where men had been sexually harassed by women.

He didn't sexually harass her.

He was being polite.

So you cannot tell the difference then?
    Same as you can't tell the difference between the pub and someones private home life?

The pub has context - you might be on the lookout for some action, you might not but even then a chat up is expected from time to time.

You don't expect a randomer who illegally obtained your number to ask you out.

I can't believe this has to be explained/

• Advertisement

grow up

I have, learned about things like boundaries and permission and not calling women I've never met gold digging psychopaths. Did me the world of good, you should give it a shot....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

So

Is she single ?

And is she hot ?

He didn't sexually harass her.

I didn't say he did?

I said there is a long history of harassment and it mainly goes in one direction. Thats what makes the comparison "If the genders were reversed" more difficult..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Hard to know without context of how the interaction went down in person upon the delivery

Still an insanely stupid way to go about it. Especially the "Hey" and then nothing. Almost like he knew it was wrong.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I got a text one evening saying I cant stop thinking about you, I didn't even have the number saved but I worked out who it was, a customer I met about 3 times in a few days, a man btw, and im not gay. even if it was a stunning woman I would have ran for the hills, that isn't normal behavior. I have had a few customers/women grope me and one tried to kiss me, water off a ducks back though.

So there we have it. You can grope this guy, you can kiss this guy, you can probably even rape this guy. But dont you dare send him a text. Thats just crossing the line!

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Hard to know without context of how the interaction went down in person upon the delivery

Still an insanely stupid way to go about it. Especially the "Hey" and then nothing. Almost like he knew it was wrong.

It's the 2 hour wait and the? For me. That's just doubling down on the stupidity.....

Can't argue with that.
    He was being polite. Like it is what it is no matter what way the conspiracy theorists try to 180⁰ it!?

It is what it is: a probably well intentioned move that turned out to be a bit creepy - no conspiracy.

I didn't say he did?

I said there is a long history of harassment and it mainly goes in one direction. Thats what makes the comparison "If the genders were reversed" more difficult..

You basically did, with that implication.

And no actually, it doesn't always nor has always gone in one direction both genders have been guilty of sexual harassment in the past and abuse of power. Everyone knows that.

Stop with the White Knight nonsense, loads of women here have seen this for what it really is; a dumb error of judgement from a fairly dumb guy.

things are being blown out of proportion because social media allows an outlet to stuff like this
    nothing happened, the guy didnt step boundaries, we are humans and we are allowed to speak to each other. She comes across as very thin skinned and vindictive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

It's the 2 hour wait and the? For me. That's just doubling down on the stupidity.....

Yeah although, by the ladies response after her initial 2 messages maybe she has had trouble in the past with unknown numbers and was genuinely frightened. She left a significant gap and returned to the thread. Most people just wouldn't bother.

• Advertisement

You basically did, with that implication.

And no actually, it doesn't always nor has always gone in one direction both genders have been guilty of sexual harassment in the past and abuse of power. Everyone knows that.

Stop with the White Knight nonsense, loads of women here have seen this for what it really is; a dumb error of judgement from a fairly dumb guy.

I think you are spinning this out of control a bit - I have said all along it was just a bit creepy - not harassment, not like he was stalking her (that we know of at least).

The last part was just that its an over simplification to say "If the genders were reversed" - as most guys would obviously happily welcome extra attention, but a lot of women probably get too much of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

How anyone is painting her as the bad guy is beyond me......

It's the way you are strawmanning this.

She isn't being portrayed as *the* bad guy as if the guy is somehow being absolved of all blame.

She is being portrayed as having overreacted and made the whole thing public.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Yeah although, by the ladies response after her initial 2 messages maybe she has had trouble in the past with unknown numbers and was genuinely frightened. She left a significant gap and returned to the thread. Most people just wouldn't bother.

I'm very protective of my number, so if someone just messaged me hey, I'd want to know who they were, so I've got no problem with her repeating the question. Him crossing that line and then thinking "maybe she didn't see it".
    Silly boy.

noodler wrote: »
    It's the way you are strawmanning this.

She isn't being portrayed as *the* bad guy as if the guy is somehow being absolved of all blame.

She is being portrayed as having overreacted and made the whole thing public.

I didn't say everyone, I said anyone, at least one person has said she was rude for not texting him back.....

Again, she has been called everything from ugly to a bitch, that is not a normal response......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I didn't say everyone, I said anyone, at least one person has said she was rude for not texting him back.....

Again, she has been called everything from ugly to a bitch, that is not a normal response......

To be fair hynsie ...
    On the internet... Even in this mad world can anyone expect normal rationale responses to anything?

Doesn't matter what the topic is you are gonna have people on either side. Why I could say how I love vanilla ice cream. Then to be accused of being a bland mo fo for not saying raspberry ripple. Yes I make a joke about it. But I'm not hardly wrong either!

I just saw the girls post on the argos page, she used Facebook because she didn't want to give her phone number which is perfectly reasonable since they'd already crossed that line.....

I think you are spinning this out of control a bit - I have said all along it was just a bit creepy - not harassment, not like he was stalking her (that we know of at least).

The last part was just that its an over simplification to say "If the genders were reversed" - as most guys would obviously happily welcome extra attention, but a lot of women probably get too much of it.

Well no Ken, it's you that has spun this out by, at the very least, insinuating this incident is comparable to sexual harassment. It is not.

It's not really an oversimplification though. If this lad was objectively good looking, she'd be delighted. Which is fair enough. I don't know what age she is but she kinda needs to grow up a bit. Women in general will be approached by men who they deem are not good looking alot and won't be interested in which is fair enough and also natural enough.

So then, she should actually be a big girl, not let the side down, block this lads number, report him if she feels so aggrieved (which obvs she has already done) and leave it at that. But no, shes looking for a pay out which she may get and a sympathy vote and FB likes.

Question for you, do you think this fella should lose his job over this? Because realistically speaking that is what is going to happen here.

To be fair hynsie ...
    On the internet... Even in this mad world can anyone expect normal rationale responses to anything?

Doesn't matter what the topic is you are gonna have people on either side. Why I could say how I love vanilla ice cream. Then to be accused of being a bland mo fo for not saying raspberry ripple. Yes I make a joke about it. But I'm not hardly wrong either!

I was expecting a few people to maybe call it sweet or a misunderstanding (a few did) but the level of vitriol against the girl is insane.

It'd be like you saying you like vanilla ice cream and me calling you a paedophile baby killing protestant......... You're probably not protestant...

So then, she should actually be a big girl, not let the side down, block this lads number, report him if she feels so aggrieved (which obvs she has already done) and leave it at that. But no, shes looking for a pay out which she may get and a sympathy vote and FB likes.

Question for you, do you think this fella should lose his job over this? Because realistically speaking that is what is going to happen here.

Where is this payout idea coming from? Seems to have been completely made up on this thread.

He should lose his job for this though, I'd be surprised if it's not considered gross misconduct

• Advertisement

Rikand wrote: »
    So

Is she single ?

And is she hot ?

Decided to do a quick google.

Shes very decent and shes in a relationship. Seems to be quite a decent person by her facebook posts too. Everything blown out of proportion

Advertisement