Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So are you single? Argos style....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,901 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Something is wrong and I can't quote Diamonds post.
    Anyway, just on one point, 'its not fair to pick on this woman for how she feels'.

I fully accept that she didn't like his approach. However, I am not a fan of how she herself handled the situation. Shaming him on social media.
    I only hope his name wasn't mentioned online by her, or anyone else

From what I can gather, she never "shamed" him, there was a problem with her order and she mentioned him messaging her in the comment. The screenshot came out in the replies because people jumped on her calling her names (unbelievable I know, would never happen here).

The daily mail selectively cropped the comments and didn't ask her for a statement.

That's her side of it anyway, and I have no issues believing the part about the daily mail anyway......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Nail on head. It's breathtakingly sad, some of the responses and virtue signaling on here make me despair for the future of humanity. It's like we have to be automatons now; no spontaneity or excitement, or chancing your arm with that person you fancy everybody is/could be a threat, it's sad.

Yeah, there was a time this would be seen as a compliment. If you weren't interested you said no and moved on with your life, but it was a nice ego boost and something to brag about with your friends.

I'd hate to be a man trying to second guess when it's acceptable to make a move. I think there's going to be a lot of lonely people in the future.

People have been interacting and signalling interest since the dawn of mankind, yet we seem to be going out of our way to complicate it.

Yes, he got her number through work documents, but the vast majority of people are decent. Meeting someone off a dating app is probably riskier for both genders than a delivery driver contacting a customer he delivered to. For a start she'd be able to give the company name to friends/family if she met him, had anything happened the guards would easily trace the driver who delivered to her.

It's highly unlikely he meant harm.

Yeah, there was a time this would be seen as a compliment. If you weren't interested you said no and moved on with your life, but it was a nice ego boost and something to brag about with your friends.

I'd hate to be a man trying to second guess when it's acceptable to make a move. I think there's going to be a lot of lonely people in the future.

People have been interacting and signalling interest since the dawn of mankind, yet we seem to be going out of our way to complicate it.

If this was the 60s and a guy you don't know got your number through deception and rang your house to ask if you had a boyfriend, it'd still be weird.

Pure bollocks, he crossed a line, this wasn't some lad leaning in for the kiss in a nightclub, it's a creep being creepy.

It's not more complicated these days, just don't be a creep

hynesie08 wrote: »
    If this was the 60s and a guy you don't know got your number through deception and rang your house to ask if you had a boyfriend, it'd still be weird.

Pure bollocks, he crossed a line, this wasn't some lad leaning in for the kiss in a nightclub, it's a creep being creepy.

Do you know for a fact that he is a creep? You might not like how he obtained her number, but that doesn't make him Larry Murphy material.

We are watching romance die before our eyes..

And trust, which is worse.

Do you know for a fact that he is a creep? You might not like how he obtained her number, but that doesn't make him Larry Murphy material.

Texting someone without telling them who you are (there were 2 lads in the van) asking if they have a boyfriend and then pushing it when they don't answer? That's creepy, maybe not rapey, but creepy....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

We'll have to start buying our furniture in furniture outlets again. It was a wardrobe that my OH built that got us together. It took several home improvment jobs over several months before he asked me out, though.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    We'll have to start buying our furniture in furniture outlets again. It was a wardrobe that my OH built that got us together. It took several home improvment jobs over several months before he asked me out, though.

I actually need a wardrobe at the minute..I'd feel weird getting some chick I fancied to build me one though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

I feel like a stranger in a nightclub leaning in for a kiss, is crossing the line more than a guy asking a woman he likes, if she is dating anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭worded

Edgware wrote: »
    She wont answer the door in her nightgear again

Why has she a door in her right gear ?

Texting someone without telling them who you are (there were 2 lads in the van) asking if they have a boyfriend and then pushing it when they don't answer? That's creepy, maybe not rapey, but creepy....
    I didn't see there was 2 lads in the van. The texter obviously let the second lad know he fancied her and was encouraged to make a move.

I still don't think it's creepy. I've racked my brains and in all my years interacting with men I've met 2 who made me genuinely uncomfortable.

There was a time someone would get their friend to ask your friend if you wanted to go out, or get their friend to get your number off your friend. They could also just get it from the phone book back when eir were Telecom Eireann and delivered them to homes.

It was never seen as creepy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You have some weird notions of romance.

There was a time someone would get their friend to ask your friend if you wanted to go out, or get their friend to get your number off your friend. They could also just get it from the phone book back when eir were Telecom Eireann and delivered them to homes.

He should have come back out after the delivery and sent in the other lad to say 'ah, the other delivery guy fancies you..'.. could have saved everyone a load of grief..

He should have come back out after the delivery and sent in the other lad to say 'ah, the other delivery guy fancies you..'.. could have saved everyone a load of grief..

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I got a text from a lady last week who entered the wrong number. She asked ASL, then asked for a photo lol. I obliged because i still look like I’m 16 at 31 lol. Her lingerie photo had a wonky boob and jam jar glasses. Think Rosie O’Donnell

Weird, yes but I didn’t have any problem with her trying. If she tracks me down and turns up at my door then that’s a problem.

He got horny/turned on whatever, that doesn’t make him Ted Bundy. I’m sure he took the hint and moved on.

o1s1n wrote: »

What if she had liked him back and they had started dating, and lived happily ever after.
    Would that not be romantic a story to tell the grandkids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

I am a man - a fairly lonely one too, truth be told - but I've no trouble second guessing when it's acceptable to make a move. Via text message, having acquired the person's phone number in what should have been a professional capacity, is never acceptable. And then following it up with a question mark when she failed to answer his initial question... I wouldn't even do that on Tinder, let alone to someone I shouldn't have been texting in the first place. If someone doesn't respond, that's your answer right there... move on.

He probably didn't mean any harm, but he came across as (at best) a pain in the hoop. Maybe her perception of his behaviour was tainted by previous experiences. Maybe she panicked when she received the second message and felt that he (a man who knows where she lives) was going to become a bit of a pest if she didn't nip it in the bud straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭worded

Two girls are working on the cash registers at the grocery store
    “You know, I can always tell the single men from the men in relationships.”

“How can you do that?”

“Watch. I’ll show you on the next customer.”

A man approaches the register with his shopping. A single tomato, a single pork chop, a single potato, a single tin of beans and a single small onion.

“You’re single, aren’t you?”

“How did you know?”

“Because you’re a right ugly cnut.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

o1s1n wrote: »

Aren’t you the persons who’s wife/Gf was hit on by the ESB salesman? Iirc

That was creepy. To be fair the Argos guy actually asked her if she was single.

• Advertisement

Also, the same as Diamond, I got asked out by a taxi driver before & we did date for a while.
    In fairness he didn't ask me the first time we met. I had been in his car a couple of times over the course of a few months & he messaged one time after dropping me off. Obviously he had my number from me booking the cab

Also, the same as Diamond, I got asked out by a taxi driver before & we did date for a while.
    In fairness he didn't ask me the first time we met. I had been in his car a couple of times over the course of a few months & he messaged one time after dropping me off. Obviously he had my number from me booking the cab
    So basically, there is no comparison.

I didn't see there was 2 lads in the van. The texter obviously let the second lad know he fancied her and was encouraged to make a move.
    Then the other lad is an idiot.
    I still don't think it's creepy. I've racked my brains and in all my years interacting with men I've met 2 who made me genuinely uncomfortable.
    I'm not trying to downplay anyone's experience, and I'm very much aware it might not even be my place to comment, but we'll agree to disagree here, I think it's creepy as hell.

It was never seen as creepy.

Both of those examples involve asking your permission for a chat or your number, this guy didn't even know that much.

So basically, there is no comparison.
    Do you mean that because in my situation, we were not complete 'strangers'?

I feel like a stranger in a nightclub leaning in for a kiss, is crossing the line more than a guy asking a woman he likes, if she is dating anyone.

Agreed, I worded that wrong.

Both of those examples involve asking your permission for a chat or your number, this guy didn't even know that much.

They don't. Believe it or not there was a time your friend would just give your number (sometimes just for a laugh if she knew you didn't fancy the lad), and no one needed permission to open a phone book.

Do you mean that because in my situation, we were not complete 'strangers'?
    He didn't ask you the after the first time you met. He wasnt one of two possible guys contacting you. You had a few conversations with him. How does that even compare to not being certain which of the two men you'd met very briefly to deliver an item texting you out of the blue?

They don't. Believe it or not there was a time your friend would just give your number (sometimes just for a laugh if she knew you didn't fancy the lad), and no one needed permission to open a phone book.
    We talking about the teen disco days? Not really like for like is it? I've never heard of adults doing that....

He didn't ask you the after the first time you met. He wasnt one of two possible guys contacting you. You had a few conversations with him. How does that even compare to not being certain which of the two men you'd met very briefly to deliver an item texting you out of the blue?
    OK I understand now, but my point was actually about the GDPR side

If a friend did that to me she wouldn't be my friend after. There has never been a time that was alright with me. Even if I fancied the person.Beyond the age of 14, most people know that's just not on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Then the other lad is an idiot.

I'm not trying to downplay anyone's experience, and I'm very much aware it might not even be my place to comment, but we'll agree to disagree here, I think it's creepy as hell.

Come on hynsie what's your problem?
    You seem to be the white knight of the thread. Defending someone else's honor!

You seem to be taking this very personal. I also see you have posted in the pro wrestling forum as I have to.

It's not like someone called you a mark and a fat dude who couldn't hack it as a pro wrestler. That's the stuff you see on the pro rasslin boards. Not here. So don't take it so personally..

We talking about the teen disco days? Not really like for like is it? I've never heard of adults doing that....

No, not just the teen disco days. I've had shy men in their 20s and 30s get their friends to start a conversation with me, and it's up to the friends to say straight out that he's interested.

Some people are just shy and/or socially awkward. That doesn't make them creeps, it just makes their life harder. There isn't always a sinister ulterior motive.

If a friend did that to me she wouldn't be my friend after. There has never been a time that was alright with me. Even if I fancied the person.Beyond the age of 14, most people know that's just not on.

Some people have a different outlook though, we can be friends with people even if we don't always agree with them.

OK I understand now, but my point was actually about the GDPR side
    Fair enough.I'm guessing ye had a bit of a rapport going and he read that correctly. Of course, he should have asked you in person but in this case it wasnt a complete stranger texting out of the blue.

I had a bit of troble with a taxi driver who i used to be chatty with when I was his passenger. He asked me out and I politely declined and then he started showing up in the sportsfield behind the smoking area where I worked at lunchtime. He didn't have my number though, as I only ever used the taxis when waiting for fares.

Fair enough.I'm guessing ye had a bit of a rapport going and he read that correctly. Of course, he should have asked you in person but in this case it wasnt a complete stranger texting out of the blue.

I had a bit of troble with a taxi driver who i used to be chatty with when I was his passenger. He asked me out and I politely declined and then he started showing up in the sportsfield behind the smoking area where I worked at lunchtime. He didn't have my number though, as I only ever used the taxis when waiting for fares.

Now that's creepy.

Some people have a different outlook though, we can be friends with people even if we don't always agree with them.

Absolutley, But I would consider giving my contact details without my permission an absolute breech of trust since my late teens at least, and that's not today or yesterday.

No, not just the teen disco days. I've had shy men in their 20s and 30s get their friends to start a conversation with me, and it's up to the friends to say straight out that he's interested.

Some people are just shy and/or socially awkward. That doesn't make them creeps, it just makes their life harder. There isn't always a sinister ulterior motive.

I actually agree with all that, I just see this scenario as different. I can understand having a mate start a conversation or being shy, I just can't understand how he thought this was a good idea......

Come on hynsie what's your problem?
    You seem to be the white knight of the thread. Defending someone else's honor!

You seem to be taking this very personal. I also see you have posted in the pro wrestling forum as I have to.

It's not like someone called you a mark and a fat dude who couldn't hack it as a pro wrestler. That's the stuff you see on the pro rasslin boards. Not here. So don't take it so personally..

I'm guessing we know each other? And since I doubt you actually have the balls to tell me who you are, let's just stick you on ignore......

I actually agree with all that, I just see this scenario as different. I can understand having a mate start a conversation or being shy, I just can't understand how he thought this was a good idea......

He liked her, what other options did he have? Turn up unannounced at her door?

Sometimes in life you have to take a chance, nothing ventured nothing gained.

• Advertisement

Absolutley, But I would consider giving my contact details without my permission an absolute breech of trust since my late teens at least, and that's not today or yesterday.

I get that, but some people think they're doing you a favour. It'd be a boring life if we all thought the same. Boards wouldn't exist either if we didn't disagree and see different sides of a story.

Now that's creepy.
    Well, yeah. I seem to attract them. I'm like a creep sweeper. If you need to clear a place of creeps, send me in and I'll flush em out. I'm some kind of pied piper for creeps. And this is where taking into account different people's experiences is important here. And as someone else pointed out, we don't know what kind of vibes these delivery guys were giving off, either. You just can't have delivery men who often are alone with women in their house doing stupid stuff like this, Giving the benefit of the doubt that he's a bit rubbish socially, for a man with that job it was a very stupid thing to do. The fact that there were two guys and one of them suddenly started texting me would have freaked me the hell out.

Well, yeah. I seem to attract them. I'm like a creep sweeper. If you need to clear a place of creeps, send me in and I'll flush em out. I'm some kind of pied piper for creeps. And this is where taking into account different people's experiences is important here. And as someone else pointed out, we don't know what kind of vibes these delivery guys were giving off, either. You just can't have delivery men who often are alone with women in their house doing stupid stuff like this, Giving the benefit of the doubt that he's a bit rubbish socially, for a man with that job it was a very stupid thing to do. The fact that there were two guys and one of them suddenly started texting me would have freaked me the hell out.

I did acknowledge that if he was creepy in person that would change things, but she didn't mention that. It seemed like he acted normally and they had a bit of craic so he took a chance.

Nothing, just move on to the next delivery, say hello to her, have your mate say hello, write your number on the docket...... There are dozens of options that don't invade her privacy.

Definitely nothing gained in this case....

That's not the same as a random delivery guy texting you out of the blue, They are at work, not out socially.

I did acknowledge that if he was creepy in person that would change things, but she didn't mention that. It seemed like he acted normally and they had a bit of craic so he took a chance.

Maybe. But not the way to do it,

• Advertisement

This exactly

That's not the same as a random delivery guy texting you out of the blue, They are at work, not out socially.

He probably knew he had no realistic chance of seeing her again so he took a chance.

I don't think we'll ever agree on this!

I get that, but some people think they're doing you a favour. It'd be a boring life if we all thought the same. Boards wouldn't exist either if we didn't disagree and see different sides of a story.

I wont disagree there.

Do you think he should not have asked her at all?

He probably knew he had no realistic chance of seeing her again so he took a chance.

I don't think we'll ever agree on this!

He shoulda put on Ironic by Allanis Morisette and had a little cry at his crappy luck

:P

• Advertisement
Advertisement