Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Florida Police arrest, cuff and detain 8 year old special needs child.

Options
  • 14-08-2020 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭

The American police forces have to be amongst the worst police forces on earth. They just never seem to learn anything from past mistakes.

As if shooting blacks and unarmed persons was not bad enough, now florida police entered a primary school in Key West and arrested an 8 year old special needs child and placed him in a police station cell.
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/mum-special-needs-boy-8-22506953

And only a few months ago they did the same thing in Orlando. They arrested a 6 year old girl and bound her hands with cable ties and brought her off to the police station.

https://news.sky.com/story/six-year-old-schoolgirl-arrested-and-bound-with-cable-ties-11943346

I mean what the actual fúck. Firstly, what kind of dope of a teacher calls the police into a school to deal with classroom discipline issues?
    What sort of principal accepts that?
    What sort of police actually entertain and follow through on this sort of crazy behaviour?

Can you imagine if an Irish primary school teacher called the Gardai in to deal with an unruly student? Irish teachers of special needs children can kicked and punched, bitten and scratched several times a week. can you imagine if that happened? There would be holy war altogether, and rightly so.

The thought of calling the Gardai would never enter their minds - it is, unfortunately, part of the job that is dealing with special needs children.

the USA is truly a totally degenerate nation.

Comments

This is old news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Article about the court case is only 2 days old.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Happened 2 days ago.

No it happened 2 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Who cares lol. Why are Irish people so utterly obsessed with Amerimutts?

Or Sweden, for that matter.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

No it happened 2 years ago

You're both right.

It happened two years ago.

The video of it happening was released two days ago.

It is nothing unusual for America. It is quite authoritarian and has been for a long time.

The full story from what I know: 8 year boy with special needs in cafeteria struck a teacher and she phoned the police, who proceeded to arrest him, bring him down the station, take his DNA fingerprints, and put him briefly in a jail cell.

School alleges father told them to have him arrested to scare him straight.

Mother is suing.

• Advertisement

I just know somebody is gonna try to justify the arrest and view the 8 year old as a clear and present danger...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I just know somebody is gonna try to justify the arrest and view the 8 year old as a clear and present danger...

(put on Yankee hat)

So y'all know that the only thing the feller had to do was follow the instructions of his elementary teacher? Kids have to respect authority. The teacher took the correct course of action when he acted out. He was shown that if you can't run with the big dogs you should stay under the porch. You saw by heck that he was able to comply when the sheriff booked him. You get soft and you don't know what sort of mischief you'll be inviting into your house. Better he scared straight now than he does a Columbine in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

(put on Yankee hat)

So y'all know that the only thing the feller had to do was follow the instructions of his elementary teacher? Kids have to respect authority. The teacher took the correct course of action when he acted out. He was shown that if you can't run with the big dogs you should stay under the porch. You saw by heck that he was able to comply when the sheriff booked him. You get soft and you don't know what sort of mischief you'll be inviting into your house. Better he scared straight now than he does a Columbine in the future.
    Now now Billy Joe you just put down Paws AK47 before someone gets hurt real bad

And yet 2 hours later nobody has said that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Can we refer to a “ child with special needs” or a “ child with additional needs,” please ? A child isn’t defined by their needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

And yet 2 hours later nobody has said that.

...which is odd, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,477 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Can we refer to a “ child with special needs” or a “ child with additional needs,” please ? A child isn’t defined by their needs.

I'll give it a shot but no promises; I agree with your sentiment.

Odhinn wrote: »
    ...which is odd, tbh.

Not really.

I don't know anyone who would agree with an 8 year old being arrested.

I just don't know how a teacher of a child with special needs thinks that it is proper to call the police on the child when they act out.

I imagine if an Irish teacher called the Gardai on a child with special needs because they were acting out then a) the Gardai would laugh down the phone at them and talk about wasting Garda time and b) they would get a very stern talking to by the prinipal.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I just don't know how a teacher of a child with special needs thinks that it is proper to call the police on the child when they act out.

I imagine if an Irish teacher called the Gardai on a child with special needs because they were acting out then a) the Gardai would laugh down the phone at them and talk about wasting Garda time and b) they would get a very stern talking to by the prinipal.

some schools in the states have police officers permanently assigned to them.

USA is a crazy degenerate country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

As if shooting blacks and unarmed persons was not bad enough,

It's fine to shoot blacks and unarmed persons
    in certain circumstances
    such as when the cops life or someone else's life is in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I

No, I know a Garda who has been called to a school for a behavioural issue where the principal was trying to "scare" the child.

My Garda friend spoke to the kid then pulled the principal aside, lifted him out of it and gave the kid a lift home.

I remember speaking to him about it the last time a story like this came out of the US.

i suppose i'll be the one to put in a token objection to the idea that teachers are subject to violence because thats "their job"

im sure ye wont mind me sayin, like

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

i suppose i'll be the one to put in a token objection to the idea that teachers are subject to violence because thats "their job"

im sure ye wont mind me sayin, like

nobody has said they should be subject to violence. handcuffing a child is not the correct response.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

This seems to be a symptom of a broader problem in the US; where other public services are run-down and the police up-funded, to the point where they end up being the service that gets called for nearly every issue, regardless of their suitability.

Normally a teacher shouldn't be subjected to hitting or throwing things when it is a mainstream school, but when it is in a special school where there can be pupils persent where there are a whole scale of behavioural, pyschological and neurological issues, violence, throwing and acting out when they get frustrated or cannot express themselves can be more or less routine. I have friends who work in a school like that and some of them are regularly kicked, scratched and slapped by some pupils. It is just part of the job in those schools where there are children with profound issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Fritzbox

USA is a crazy degenerate country.

Ahh, so this thread is not really about the welfare of an 8-year-old boy, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Normally a teacher shouldn't be subjected to hitting or throwing things when it is a mainstream school, but when it is in a special school where there can be pupils persent where there are a whole scale of behavioural, pyschological and neurological issues, violence, throwing and acting out when they get frustrated or cannot express themselves can be more or less routine. I have friends who work in a school like that and some of them are regularly kicked, scratched and slapped by some pupils. It is just part of the job in those schools where there are children with profound issues.

Nominally, in Irish special schools it is risk-controlled by Multi-Disciplinary Team review of the pupil, care plans and risk assesment. Restraint is strongly discouraged except when necessary for the child's safety but other methods like eg sensory rooms to calm down ASD pupils, SNAs and minimum staffing levels exist. Of course this isn't always enough to prevent assault on staff but goes some way to control the risk while balancing the need to care for the pupil.

I suspect parts of the US may not publicly fund such services adequately but have police funded to a level we would consider unusual. As a result you get armed officers called out for something like this that they are entirely unsuited to.

Yes, I have no doubt there are plans and risk assessments and any other number of things, but the practical reality of it is that staff get kicked and scratched and things thrown at them. No volume of paperwork can stop that if they decide they are in a biting or scratching mood.

My friend has shown me the bite and scratch scars on her arms.

It is just considered a hazard of the job, they don't go calling the Gardai on pupils who don't really have full control over their emotions.

Advertisement