Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Des Kelly carpets

Options
  • 14-08-2020 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had experience with Des Kelly carpets and pricing?

Went to get some carpet and flooring recently.

The prices in-store stated supplied and fitted.

When the invoice came there was a dependency of almost €400. When questioned the response was that was the fitting charge.

Is this misleading or false advertising?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭septictank

€400 would get you a lot of fitting carpet wise. You must have a lot of Wooden flooring ordered.

What are you having done?

If it stated fitted, then it's covered, might be extras, for upgraded underlay or bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Did you get a written or e-mail quote before you placed the order? Because for any kind of work like that, it's a must. And you make sure that the price includes VAT, underlay, fitting and any required decorative accessories. And the removal of all debris and unused cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

BTW, if you're in dispute with that supplier, I would try to negotiate the number down and pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭septictank

I've never had an e mail from DK's, has always been a hand written docket/receipt for the purchase and instructions of fitting, and date.

Seem to do Business that way or did up to a few years ago.

Should have Fitting Included stated on docket.

€400 is a huge amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Thanks for all the replies.

The costs were:
    €31.68y2 (the label states : supplied and fitted 8mm underlay included in price) there was a discount of 30% +extra 10%. To me this would then mean a price of €19y2 supplied and fitted with 8mm underlay. So, with a surface area of 18y2 the total price of €342 supplied and fitted with underlay. According to the guy in DK that's not the case..

snippet from the mail from DK:

"Line item 2 & 6 are the reduction from the overall cost, of the fitting fee, €4.00 per metere - 30% ( the reduction of 30% was applied in item 1 and 4 , so €4.00 -30% =€2.80 ) last line item is a surcharge applicaple to s/l fitting of €70 , ( €20 payable as a deposit €50 to payable to fitter )

So €4 x 35 = €140 + €50 = €190 payable to fitter on the day"

From my perspective that is very wrong.

The price in store minus the displayed discount should be the final price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Complicated and confusing and not sure what the OP's figures are. I presume "dependency" is meant to be "discrepancy" - eg there is a difference of €400. But then i above post the amount of €190 is mentioned.

31.68 less 30% + extra 10% would equate to 19.96 y2.

And the 18y2 was this the surface area or the amount of carpet required - there can be a big difference.

If fitting was included in the 31.68 price I'd be checking the terms of the discount and would assume it would not include fitting cost, though pricing models may have changed since I bought carpets. (It used to have the overall price and then "includes xx per y2 fitting charge" and the discounts would have an asterix which would lead to a line "excluding fitting charge"

Tag also says "non-stock" and extra 10% is for stock rolls only. So 22.18 may be the price + surcharge for stairs

Might be better to provide the number of y2 you got and the price you paid and whether it was a straight forward room or hall stairs landing and if any extras such as grippers were needed. There's only 20% of info above.

Overall DK are known to be straightforward with pricing and one of the reasons they have survived for many decades. Whereas carpetSh1te are known for shenanigans when it comes to price & fitting

silver2020 wrote: »
    Complicated and confusing and not sure what the OP's figures are. I presume "dependency" is meant to be "discrepancy" - eg there is a difference of €400. But then i above post the amount of €190 is mentioned.

31.68 less 30% + extra 10% would equate to 19.96 y2.

And the 18y2 was this the surface area or the amount of carpet required - there can be a big difference.

If fitting was included in the 31.68 price I'd be checking the terms of the discount and would assume it would not include fitting cost, though pricing models may have changed since I bought carpets. (It used to have the overall price and then "includes xx per y2 fitting charge" and the discounts would have an asterix which would lead to a line "excluding fitting charge"

Tag also says "non-stock" and extra 10% is for stock rolls only. So 22.18 may be the price + surcharge for stairs

Might be better to provide the number of y2 you got and the price you paid and whether it was a straight forward room or hall stairs landing and if any extras such as grippers were needed. There's only 20% of info above.

Overall DK are known to be straightforward with pricing and one of the reasons they have survived for many decades. Whereas carpetSh1te are known for shenanigans when it comes to price & fitting

Will respond properly when on the laptop.

But yes, it appears the discount is calculated separately for the fitting.

The fitting is bring done over 2 days so it will be €190 to the fitters each day (€380 in total).

The extra 10% was offered on the 'non stock' item by DK.

If the discount was o ly on the item and not the fitting that should be made clear in my opinion.

Yes, dependency was an auto correct by the phone, should have been discrepancy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Just looking at the ad... the extra 10% is for stock rolls only. The carpet is shown as non stock so the 10% does not apply.
    Cannot see why you would have to pay more than quoted price for fitting irrespective of the number of days it takes.
    Re-check all your figures and theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

jim salter wrote:
    The costs were: €31.68y2 (the label states : supplied and fitted 8mm underlay included in price) there was a discount of 30% +extra 10%. To me this would then mean a price of €19y2 supplied and fitted with 8mm underlay. So, with a surface area of 18y2 the total price of €342 supplied and fitted with underlay. According to the guy in DK that's not the case..

I'm autistic and see things as black and white most times. I'm reading underlay is supplied & fitted free. I don't see where it say carpet is fitted free.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

To me you can read it both ways. I would have clarified it before i had paid anything.

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    To me you can read it both ways. I would have clarified it before i had paid anything.

Me too. There is enough in the wording to make me want them to clarify.

In fairness the shop probably should have pointed out if fitting wasn't included. This can't be the first time this confusion has come up over fitting in the business 40 odd year history

still no info on the amount of carpet purchased, so no-one can give a proper answer. Two days fitting would suggest a fairly large amount of carpet to be fitted or the rooms were not cleared

Cerco wrote: »
    Just looking at the ad... the extra 10% is for stock rolls only. The carpet is shown as non stock so the 10% does not apply.
    Cannot see why you would have to pay more than quoted price for fitting irrespective of the number of days it takes.
    Re-check all your figures and theirs.

Maybe read my post above yours (#8) - DK offered the extra 10% on the non stock carpet :rolleyes:

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'm autistic and see things as black and white most times. I'm reading underlay is supplied & fitted free. I don't see where it say carpet is fitted free.

Wow, it's clear to me.

The tag states: €31.68y2 Milano Non Stock supplied and fitted. 8mm Underlay included in price. How can that be read any other way???

To me that says the price per y2 for Milano carpet is €31.68 supplied and fitted

silver2020 wrote: »
    still no info on the amount of carpet purchased, so no-one can give a proper answer. Two days fitting would suggest a fairly large amount of carpet to be fitted or the rooms were not cleared

As stated above 18y2 :confused:

jim salter wrote: »
    Wow, it's clear to me.

The tag states: €31.68y2 Milano Non Stock supplied and fitted. 8mm Underlay included in price. How can that be read any other way???

To me that says the price per y2 for Milano carpet is €31.68 supplied and fitted

In bold: you added in full stops that aren't on the label in the photo you posted. Why didn't you put a full stop between the big font & the small font? Adding full stops changes what it says.

31.68y2
    Millano
    Non Stock

Then in different sized print: Supplied & fitted 8mm underlay included in the price

I read it that Millano is 31.68y2. I don't see that it says its supplied & fitted. Even reading it the way you see it, it then doesn't say that the underlay is fitted for free.

I don't know for sure who is riight. it's just the way I read it & that doesn't make you wrong.

I agree it is confusing & I wouldn't have bought without making sure. This isn't blaming you. They deal in this day in & day out. Sales assistant should have made it clear what was & wasn't included in the price. It's not good business if you don't know the full price when buying

2 days to fit 18 sq yards? - Did they have one hand tied behind their backs?

Still don't know if you are saying there's a discrepancy of €400 - maybe tell us the gross price you paid.

And surely they gave you the price before you agreed?

The way I'd read it is €399 for the 18sqy and as you say, extra fee for stairs of €70, so total based on the sticker price should be €469

Advertisement